PDA

View Full Version : Good or bad decision?

hlkeck
05-23-2008, 12:00 PM
So, our first trip 'home' to AKV is this September. We're also going a few days before Xmas :minnie: and yesterday my waitlist came through for an AKV studio SV...this morning was my day to call and see if I could get into another hotel (7 mo window) and I could only get OKW studio and I decided against it...

Good or bad decision? I'm stressed now that we should have tried OKW. We've haven't stayed at any WDW DVC resorts (just VB) yet, and I'm sure we'll love AKV, but should we have moved to OKW?

My concern after reading a few posts was that my 4 and 6 y/o would not love the idea of no elevators and we'd be carrying them up stairs, and I heard the pool was small?

I could probably call this afternoon - if y'all can get me some great feedback?

Taja
05-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I haven't stayed at OKW yet, but I understand three of the building have elevators. They might be reserved for disabled or folks who can't manage stairs first, though, That's a bit *might*!

Alternatively, you could request a ground-floor room.

Horizon93
05-23-2008, 04:58 PM
I would stay with your AKV savanna studio. One of the great things about DVC is that we all have plenty of vacations to try all of the DVC resorts. I am an AKV owner and will be staying there for the first time in July. Our first DVC trip was to OKW. It was great. Sp I have nothing bad to say about OKW, but if you waitlisted for that savanna view and got it. I think you should stick with that.

I also imagine that the lodge will look great at Christmas!

JMTStone
05-23-2008, 06:53 PM
I've only stayed at AK (Lodge) and SSR. We LOVED AKL and bought DVC points there. I've visited OKW but never stayed. I think you'll be just fine at AKV with a SV. Just think, you have many more years to come and enjoy the other resorts!

DVC Mike
05-23-2008, 07:30 PM
I've stayed at both AKV and OKW, and my personal preference is AKV. However, everyone has different tastes.

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 07:33 PM
OKW is my first home resort and while its great (more like awesome!) I would def stick with your villa S/V ressies. Ive only stayed in the lodge rooms w/SV and I LOVED it! (Im staying in AKL V this July wooohoooo!!! :woohoo:) I never thought I would like anywhere better than OKW but AKL is so amazing and unique! Its become my new favorite. I would like to say though that OKW is quite beautiful in its own right (not to mention the villas are big compared to other DVC villas) so I would not hesitate to recommend it ever! One of the great things about being a DVC owner is that you have a lot of time to try all the resorts whether theyre your home resort or not!

Have fun!!!:mickey:

OogieBoogieMan
05-23-2008, 10:02 PM
No question in my mind, OKW is a great resort but AKV is unique. You made the right choice.

dephenn
05-24-2008, 07:15 AM
We have stayed at both AKV and OKW and enjoyed both. We found wait time for the buses were much less at AKV, maybe because it is still running on the hotel schedule or because there is only one pickup area, either way wait time is extremely important when kids are involved. However the bus rides seemed longer to get to the parks from AKV, except of course AK. If your only concern about OKW is climbing don't let that stop you, the building we stayed in was only two floors and and someone else maybe able to correct me, but I don't remember seeing any building any higher. We also liked the fact that OKW has two queen beds and not just a pull out in the studio and is more spacious, we are also a family of four. But, no matter where you stay you'll have a great time. If I where going twice in such a short period I'd probably mix it up and try different resorts. Enough rambling from me, have a great time and welcome to DVC.

hlkeck
05-24-2008, 10:28 AM
I really appreciate the feedback and KineGirl, I'd read your reviews of both on other threads - which put me on the fence completely!

And yes, we have so many years ahead of us, it's just so exciting in the beginning and you want to find your 'special' resort!

I'm sooo looking forward to all of the future memories. Thanks again, I think we'll stay where we are and allow the kids to enjoy the animals while they are young --