PDA

View Full Version : P.I. to be removed!

Imagineer1981
05-23-2008, 11:16 AM
Latest rumor from my high ranking CM friend is that PI will be closing and renamed/refurbished. While certain elements will stay such as Beach Club, Comedy Club, and Adventures Club, all other night clubs will be closed and changed into more shops/dining

Jasper
05-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't remember for sure but hasn't this rumor gone around several times before?

While it may very well be true, like always I will hold off any high fives until Disney makes some kind of official statement to this effect. I will also say that some type of redo would make me happy!

avantgardeinker
05-23-2008, 11:57 AM
I heard about this. I think they're supposed to put in more restaurants and such. Apparently Raglan Road was sort of a test for this. I already have 45 TS restaurants I haven't eaten at yet. This is just going to add to the list!!

:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I think Disney wouldn't be very smart if they removed this. It's what brings a lot of adults to the resort. And I know they make a ton of money on the Guests and CM's who frequent PI.

I'll take this as a rumor until confirmed.

joelkfla
05-23-2008, 11:29 PM
While certain elements will stay such as Beach Club, Comedy Club, and Adventures Club, all other night clubs will be closed and changed into more shops/dining

Don't know anything about PI as a whole, but Rock-n-Roll Beach Club closed permanently a couple of months ago.

HndrdPrcnt
05-23-2008, 11:45 PM
I think that overall the P.I. area could use some refurbishment to keep the riff-raff out. I liked it better when you paid one price to get in and all clubs were included. That kept out a lot of people who were just hangin' out and not spending any money anyway!!

Capt. Sparrow
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I think that overall the P.I. area could use some refurbishment to keep the riff-raff out. I liked it better when you paid one price to get in and all clubs were included. That kept out a lot of people who were just hangin' out and not spending any money anyway!!

I totally agree! I remember when this was in effect, the atmosphere at PI was AMAZING and it was a must visit almost every night. Now I could care less if I visit PI or not during my visits to the wdw.

Imagineer1981
05-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Don't know anything about PI as a whole, but Rock-n-Roll Beach Club closed permanently a couple of months ago.

From what I understand its undergoing a significant refurb

Crow
05-29-2008, 10:42 PM
I totally agree! I remember when this was in effect, the atmosphere at PI was AMAZING and it was a must visit almost every night. Now I could care less if I visit PI or not during my visits to the wdw.

yep pretty much. and Beach Club is gone.
i didnt visit last time or 2

Dyanna
05-30-2008, 12:55 PM

I too could not wait to get to PI when I was in WDW. My last 2 trips it was not the same & not planning on going back during our next trip in Nov.

lockedoutlogic
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
This "rumor" is correct....sorta

We know that Mannequins has taken over 8 tracks and is being expanded....i think that might be complete.....it was announced long ago that it would be the ONLY dance club...assuming the long awaited closure/remodel of BET

so that's done.....we also know from the press that the beach club at least....and possibly other sites are being looked at for sites of new upscale restaurants.....

Jazz Club is gone and is now an irish restaurant.....

They are building a gigantic kid focused animatronic restaurant in the parking lot....

The Adventure's Club is now embroiled in swirling rumors about a new THEME park....

so really....Pleasure Island is already gone....

IT is sad...but not too sad....P.I. was another one of those Eisner pet ideas...like Wide World....that has turned out to lack wide public appeal....

They underestimated the Mickey factor.....people want to be there to be zen with Mickey.....99% iof the time....so the travelers have had less than enthusiastic response....

The locals aren't particularly drawn to it because they don't want mickey in their face when they go out to eat, drink, and be merry....

So really the only loser here are the kids in the WDW college and international programs because......well.....on second thought.....nevermind:blush:

P.I. is already being transformed into an extension of the marketplace and the west side.....the two will meet in the middle.....they will make alot more money....and there will be more for the whole audience to enjoy....

CaptainJessicaSparrow
05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Actually 8*Trax is still there as an 80's club. I was there last week. And as far as the other rumors, I haven't heard anything other than Beach Club changing.

lockedoutlogic
05-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Actually 8*Trax is still there as an 80's club. I was there last week. And as far as the other rumors, I haven't heard anything other than Beach Club changing.

8 traxx is definitely going away....i just can't remember where i heard it

Alot has been in the orlando sentinel about the restaurant groups being brought in to open new locations....

a south american steak/chophouse.....a new concept from the cheesecake factory....even a harley davidson cafe....

it is assumed that pleasure island will be gobbled up by these....as other sites have speculated.....

it's nothing official...but other than the comedy club and Mannequins....i don't expect much in PI to survive

Ian
05-30-2008, 04:15 PM
I've seen/heard this same information from several reliable sources. I'm not sure it's fair to say that "P.I. is being removed", but it's certainly slated to be drastically revamped.

Let's face it ... once they removed the admission requirement, visiting P.I. became a decidedly unmagical event. Honestly, the few times I bothered with it I felt pretty uncomfortable 'cause there were quite a few shady cats roamin' around.

I think Iger wants to undo this Eisner Error and make it into something a tad more Disney-esque. And I, for one, won't shed a tear over it. The only place worth visiting anymore is the Adventurer's Club.

PrincessCandaceMarie
05-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Does anyone miss the West End Stage with Frankie and the West End Boys?? And when it was 'gated'?? :party: And all of the fireworks and confetti ?? :marg: Hmmmm...just wondering if there are any die hard PI fans left :cool:

Dyanna
05-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Does anyone miss the West End Stage with Frankie and the West End Boys?? And when it was 'gated'?? :party: And all of the fireworks and confetti ?? :marg: Hmmmm...just wondering if there are any die hard PI fans left :cool:

I remember when it was "New Years" every night!:thumbsup: That is when I beleive PI was at its peak.

Crow
06-01-2008, 12:46 AM

yes. i remember the diff stages
I havent really gone my last few trips.

Ian
06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
I remember when it was New Year's every night ... that was cool, but once they removed the hard ticket requirement the entire place just took on a really seedy feeling, IMO.

It always seemed to be like every weirdo, freak, and shady character in Central Florida congregated there after 10PM. Took away some of the "magic" ...

bruin1344
06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
I hope they dont get ride of PI, PI is awesome, big mistake was allowing kids to walk through the island at night, since i am around the age group, i wish it was 18+ still, i bet 10 years from now i will disagree with my statement

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
This would be a true disappointment for me. PI was one of the best parts of my trip in September and May last year. Loved 8-Traxx and in September, Motion was the greatest. I got my love of rum from Motion..haha, true story.

I'd hate to see it go.

Anyone know what they're doing with Motion??

Chris :hatter:

TheRustyScupper
06-03-2008, 05:37 PM
1) Pleasure Island was a good idea, but, l terribly implemented.
2) Just as several other major Imagineering projects.
3) Imagineering should be ashamed of their goofs since 1988, or so.
4) It never really took off, other than the introductory period.
5) This was supposed to be the answer to Universal City Walk.
6) But, like trying to have MGM out-do Universal, they missed the mark.
7) Converting PI into a dinner/eatery/comedy area makes more sense.
8) A few locals might like PI, but vacationers usually don't go to disco's en masse.

RBrooksC
06-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Maybe I am just getting old but I never cared about dance clubs since I always felt the music played there was talentless drivel.

So, any demise of PI wouldn't be a big deal for me except for the Adventure's Club which I really got into and I had the wonderful attention of the lovely chambermaid. There are always perks for playing along.

To be honest, more restaurants and shopping I think would be a great thing. PI and DtD has become a place for locals to come and "hang out." If one things PI is what brings adults to WDW, I think that is a gross overstatement. I think it would be considered a "bonus" but nothing something that was a drawing point.

I think if they keep some of the better clubs and incorporated other things, even if it means getting national chains or "mall-type" stores and then do a re-theming of the area would be a good way to tie Marketplace and WestSide together better.

AHOTE
06-11-2008, 01:19 AM
I've been going to PI since 1989. That's when the place had a whole different feel to it. I only go now for the Adventurers Club, :tikki: Comedy Club, :clown: and Mannequins. :dance: A trip to the World wouldn't be complete without it. :beer: Here's to the future hopefully the changes, whatever they may be, can recapture some of the magic. :magic:

rnin02
06-16-2008, 09:55 PM
We love going to PI, we don't have any where at home that's easy to go to where we can dance and drink and not have to worry about driving home...just grab a bus! It was a better atmosphere our first year going, I'd like to see it more like that again. And I really hope they aren't getting rid of 8-Traxx, its one of the more fun places to go there.

Disney_Barbie
06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Personally, we would miss PI greatly. It's a once or twice a trip thing for us.
I would hate to see all the fun dance clubs turned into more shops/resturants :(
Anyone know more about motion???

Crow
06-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Ive walked thru PI last few trips during the day but not stopped at night. wonder if I should this time

EPCOT84
07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Let's face it ... once they removed the admission requirement, visiting P.I. became a decidedly unmagical event. Honestly, the few times I bothered with it I felt pretty uncomfortable 'cause there were quite a few shady cats roamin' around.

I think Iger wants to undo this Eisner Error and make it into something a tad more Disney-esque. And I, for one, won't shed a tear over it. The only place worth visiting anymore is the Adventurer's Club.

I had the same observation. It was more magical when it was paid admission. It also kept out marginal crowds. Opening it up made it, well, too accessible. That's my :twocents:. I guess entertainment tastes change and we all must remember it is Disney property.

Carol
07-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Closing this here since this has been confirmed on the front page linking to the News forum.