PDA

View Full Version : Agree to disagree

Gottaluvgoof
05-23-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure this is where this should go, or if it is even allowed. I would just like to say, I am quite a fan of Intercot. It has many wonderful aspects and I think it's a wonderful tool for people planning trips to Disney. I myself, have learned lots of things from the board. You all know there is a but to this though. It seems to me, not everyone is entitled to their opinion on here. If you disagree with some of the posters on here, you are attacked by several others. If we all agreed on everything, this sure would be a boring world. I know some people have been on here forever, and they know a ton of information, but when it comes to a post stating an opinion, why do some people feel the need to stand up and fight against other's opinions? I just don't understand why we can't all have our opinions.

Wells
05-23-2008, 11:15 AM
I completly agree......but that's just my opinion........;)

drummerboy
05-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Sometimes when people post controversial opinions, others post their equal and opposite opinions. We try to monitor these threads very closely.

Often, a post of an opposite opinion is seen as an attack when it is no more than an oposing opinion. However, sometimes people go for the throat or make direct comments about the original poster. That's when we have to step in. Otherwise, if anyone posts an opinion, they need to understand that not everyone will agree with it and some will be very outspoken with their opposite views.

Again, as long as the discussion remains civil and people do not resort to attacks on others' character, the threads remain open.

Jasper
05-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Sometimes when people post controversial opinions, others post their equal and opposite opinions. We try to monitor these threads very closely.

Often, a post of an opposite opinion is seen as an attack when it is no more than an oposing opinion. However, sometimes people go for the throat or make direct comments about the original poster. That's when we have to step in. Otherwise, if anyone posts an opinion, they need to understand that not everyone will agree with it and some will be very outspoken with their opposite views.

Again, as long as the discussion remains civil and people do not resort to attacks on others' character, the threads remain open.

Well said! Thank you to all of the moderators who try so hard to make this a fun and safe place. But those of us who are not moderators have to remember that they can't be in every place at every moment so there will be times that things will get a little out of hand before the moderator has the opportunity to catch up and put a stop to the nasty posts!

Disney Doll
05-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I think it's hard to communicate in writing with a bunch of strangers. We lose the intricacy of facial expression and tone so sometimes things may sound a little harsher than we meant. Some people really like to debate the issues which is absolutely fine, but you have to be careful how you say things. You can offer another point of view in a nice way or you can do it in a not so nice way. Maybe a good rule of thumb should be don't type anything on Intercot that you wouldn't write in a letter to your grandma.

Mickey'sGirl
05-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe a good rule of thumb should be don't type anything on Intercot that you wouldn't write in a letter to your grandma.
...You never met my Grandma! :thedolls:

I agree that intonation is hard to express in writing, especially in posting smallish "notes" to a thread.

I am sorry that you feel like you're being slammed sometimes, and hope that you will continue to give us all a chance to show that we're all right. I have learned many interesting things whilst differing opinions were being discussed.....

Tinkerfreak
05-23-2008, 02:27 PM
I think it's hard to communicate in writing with a bunch of strangers. We lose the intricacy of facial expression and tone so sometimes things may sound a little harsher than we meant. Some people really like to debate the issues which is absolutely fine, but you have to be careful how you say things. You can offer another point of view in a nice way or you can do it in a not so nice way. Maybe a good rule of thumb should be don't type anything on Intercot that you wouldn't write in a letter to your grandma.

This is so true. Sometimes someone may post something that sounds kind of sarcastic but they really didn't mean it that way. I recently had an opinion in the thread about the November hours and someone posted something that made me feel like I was just being a big cry baby. At first I was offended but then someone else came on and sort of smoothed the situation a bit and after thinking about it I realized the other person was probably not trying to offend me he was just giving his opinion. Sometimes I think it is better not to be so quick to post a response until you have really thought over what you want to say.

MidnTPK
05-23-2008, 04:24 PM
I just don't understand why we can't all have our opinions.

Well, if that opinion contains some name calling or judgments, I wouldn't expect people to be too warm and fuzzy.

pdrlkr
05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
This is very true! I think some people just aren't happy unless they are contradicting what others say.

Gottaluvgoof
05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
This is very true! I think some people just aren't happy unless they are contradicting what others say.

There probably are some who do that, but that is not what I am referring to. I do believe that sometimes, people have different ideas and opinions on this board, and I have seen and experienced chastising by others for having those different ideas. I was speaking to people who I know use Intercot also, and they totally agreed, and admitted they didn't want to disagree sometimes for fear of being targeted. I don't think people should be afraid to state their opinions. Also, I do agree with those referring to it hard to be able to understand posts sometimes, due to not being able to see facial expressions, etc. I have had that happen in emails with very close friends. Sometimes you put an emphasis on a part that wasn't intended the way you took it.

TheRustyScupper
05-24-2008, 12:43 AM
1) Unfortunately, people can easily misunderstand intent of answers.
2) The written word is so easily confused and misinterpreted.
3) Sometimes, even well-intended replies are taken the wrong way.

To paraphrase George Bernard Shaw from PYGMALION:
The English and Americans have no respect for their language, and will not teach their children to speak it.

pink
05-24-2008, 10:18 AM

I agree- like others have said it is very easy to misinterpret what others are trying to say and its easy to become offended. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

However, on the other hand I do know how you feel because today I was attacked for just simply pointing out an observation I had made and someone felt the need to tell me how wrong I was. It happens.