PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness Cabin Questions

EmmMOM2
05-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Is their a kiddie pool?
How far are the cabins from the main lodge/boat dock? Is it a long walk?
I'm not a HUGE outdoor type...will i still enjoy it?
We will be staying for 12 days so im looking into this since i want to feel like i have more space then a single room. :)
Do they have a cafeteria/counter service for the resort?
How is the transportation to and from parks?

I will be staying last week of August and first week of Sept...so will the bus waits be LONG? I see they are pretty far from most of the parsk 30 min...

sisterdisco
05-22-2008, 07:27 PM
I think I can answer your questions!!
First....Lucky you! 12 days in the Cabins!!:mickey:

I do believe that they have kiddie pools. We stayed there 3 times when our kids were between 1 1/2 and 7yo. The pools were NEVER crowded.

The whole Fort Wilderness is pretty well spaced out, so taking the internal bus system is your best bet. I believe it is 1 mile "as the crow flies" from the Front Gate to the Marina/Boat Launch. The internal buses run about every 10 minutes.

The Cabins are awesome and spacious. You can open the windows, and shut the bedroom door. The best part, is that when you come out of the parks overstimulated, Fort Wilderness is QUIET and serene. It is not unsual to have a peacock at your campsite.

Taking the boat to MK is very convenient and a nice ride too.

We were at WL last week of August last year, and I was dissapointed w/ the bus service. It was about 100 degrees in the shade, and outside of the MK buses, we waited at least 20" for each bus, each way. We often stopped at FW to pick up guest, or Poly, or GF. It may have been our timing. We are going again this year, same week and are seriously thinking about renting a car.

They have 2 gift shoppes that have food in them that you can cook in your cabins. However, a few yrs ago when we were there, we found that it was quite expensive, so we drove to Publix, which was not far at all.

The Trail's End Buffeteria is the buffet at FW, and it is awesome. There is something for everyone there. Pizza, chili, corn bread, sandwiches, salads, mac n cheese, etc. :thumbsup:

I am sure you will have a great time.

sisterdisco
05-22-2008, 07:33 PM
I forgot to add, that I am TOTALLY NOT A CAMPER :ack:, but I adore that campground.
I have said time and time again, the only way I will camp is at Disney. I did use the public bathrooms near the campfire, and was amazed at how nice and clean they were.

My kids are 9 and 11 now, and there is no comparison between one hotel room (no matter how nice) and a "home away from home resort". If price wasn't a consideration, I would be there!!

There is a nightly campfire, where Chip and Dale show up and you can roast marshmellows, they will even sell you the s'more kit, stick and all. They show movies and cartoons outside. Free petting zoo, and $ pony rides. The clydesdale barns are also there.

EmmMOM2
05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I forgot to ask... Are their bugs??

Me and my oldest cant STAND TONS of bugs flying around...mosquitos, gnats etc.

Their were quite a few review complaints about bus service, does it take a LONG time to get to a park and back. As our youngest will need to come back during the middle of the day for a nap?

sisterdisco
05-22-2008, 09:09 PM
My thoughts.....

If your little one is little enough to need a nap, then the Cabin is a must!!
If they need a crib, they will provide a pack n play upon request (do it ahead of time). The beauty of a cabin, is that you can shut the bedroom door, and still hang in the living room or on the patio, and the little one can sleep.
Another thought. People w/ nap age kids generally spend the MOST time at MK, so the boat is ideal. Strollers can go right on the boat.

My husband didn't see the busing problem as bad as I did, but one thing for sure.....it got better and the crowds were considerably lighter the closer you got to Sept 1st. There was NO ONE at MK on Labor Day.

I have never had any bug problems at FW or any part of Disney.....but once in December, I think there were sand fleas at the beach at nighttime when we watched the electrical water parade. I believe I asked about bugs in the past and they routinely spray for them.

another tink
05-23-2008, 08:51 AM
rent a golf cart. Best money I spent at WDW.:number1: