PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Wedding shower gift

Septbride2002
05-22-2008, 05:16 PM
My friends wedding shower is this weekend and I can't figure out if this is a good gift or not.

Her and her groom are both in their 30's both with established houses etc. So their gift registry truly has little on it - new towels and things like that.

Her groom has a 4 year old son that he is really close to and my friend tries so hard to incorporate his son into their lives fully despite the shared custody arangement.

So I was thinking of going to Things Remembered and getting a nice fram and engraving it with The "Smith" Family and then the wedding date.

I know they'll have a family photo taken that day - and I know it would mean a lot to the groom - but I wonder about the bride.

What do you think? I only hesitate because you can't take a personalized item back.

~Amanda

Madame Leona
05-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I think that would be a wonderful gift. Family is more important than a new toaster :D

Disney Doll
05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
I think that's a wonderful gift idea. Personalized gifts are always special and it will commemorate a very important day.

mickey&missy
05-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I think that's a wonderful, thoughtful gift!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I agree, a picture frame is a great gift.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I think it is a wonderful idea! We are a "combined" family (although I never think of us that way at all), with DD technically being "mine", but we celebrate our familyversary instead of an anniversary, and celebrate our wedding date both as a special date for DH & I, as well as for all of us.

It is a great idea:thumbsup:

cal5755
05-22-2008, 11:26 PM
I agree I think that is a wonderful gift!! I am sure she will love it..especially since the marriage solidifies that they really are a family. Have a good time at the wedding!!

NotaGeek
05-22-2008, 11:54 PM
IMO, gift cards are always the best alternative. I am a firm believer that if there is a gift registry and it's a wedding you should get something on the registry. Even if it's towels or whatever ... I figure if they have it on the list, I don't feel like it's a weird gift ... they asked for it. If there's nothing on the list that I feel compelled to get, I always do a gift card to the place they have registered, then they can use the money towards whatever they didn't get on the list.

biodtl
05-23-2008, 12:02 PM
A personalized gift is always nice, so i think that would be fine.

But here's an idea to make the towels on their registry into something special. I have done it many times and people love it. I like to do gift baskets, so for wedding showers, I often do a "bubble bath for 2" basket. I get a basket and put a set of 2 towels and washcloths in. Then I add things like bubble bath, candles, chocolates, champagne, glasses, a romantic cd, bath pillow. These extra items vary depending on how much I want to spend, what good deals I find, how well I know the person's taste, etc.

When everything is arranged, i get some white or ivory tulle, spread a few layers out and set the basket in the middle. Then I pull up the tulle and tie it in top with a pretty ribbon (in the wedding colors if I know them). I usually add some silk flowers or something like that. And I use large pieces of tulle, so I can trim and arrange the excess to fold back over the basket and with the ribbon/flowers in fron and the longish tulle haging down the back, it looks like a bridal veil.

It looks very pretty and folks always rave about it.

thrillme
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
For my first wedding I got so many frames. They were lovely and the thought was wonderful but...I didn't need all those frames.

If they have a house...a Lowes gift certificate.

A gas card would be great now adays too.

A gift basket is always cool too.