PDA

View Full Version : Dressing for the World

KAT1811
05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
I was wondering how everyone dresses for the World? :scratch: What are you most comfortable in?

:vacation:

We dress like we would at home.

DH wears khaki shorts and either a polo shirt or a linen button down short sleeved shirt. :prince:

The children are usually in a sun dress or short outfit (matching or coordinating if possible) with their hair fixed. :trio:

I am typically in a skirt and tank top. (I am so much cooler in a skirt than shorts). :curtsy:

I usually bring a nice outfit or two for each of us for going out to dinner at night. :eat:

I usually try to have us all coordinate colors. That makes the possibility of getting a good Christmas card picture more probable. :sleigh:

We are heading down in November (our first time traveling to the World in November) and I am already getting overwhelmed with the packing; especially since all of the airlines are cracking down on luggage and there are five of us! It sounds like we are going to need to be prepared for all sorts of weather. :shop:

Gator
05-22-2008, 03:26 PM
In the winter months, I always wear jeans. It can get cold at night, so shorts or khakis get too cold to wear. T-shirts are good. To crack down on luggage, buy a sweater once you are there. It's a great souveneir and keeps you warm at night.

wdwfan
05-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Looking at your dates, you will definitely need some warm clothes. We were there 1st week Nov. last year and we had to wear a jacket in the evenings. The weather during the day was warm, but shorts, capri's or jeans w/t-shirt was comfortable during the day.

AuntDJ
05-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I usually dress more casual at Disney. I go in June, so I wear shorts and tank tops. At home, I am less likely to wear a sleeveless shirt. And hair is always up in a pony tail or hat. And I never wear a hat at home. But summer in Florida it is warrented!

With all the new airline rules, you might consider those bags that you can put a lot of stuff in then squeeze (or vacuum) out the air. I used on when I went to DC in the winter. They took my big winter gear down to nearly nothing....

DJ

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2008, 06:47 AM
We dress like we would at home too...I try to pack the better shorts and cuter outfits for the kids..avoiding white if I can. The only difference for me is that I almost never wear sneakers at home, and I do pack them for WDW.
November is a little tough. We went one November and it was 80 degrees every day and stayed pretty warm in the eves. Last November tho, it was quite chilly on a number of days and especially evenings. I had to pack so much to have us covered. There are 5 of us too, and we will be back again this November. I never do laundry on our trips, so I like to pack enough so I don't have to worry.

bruin1344
05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
t-shirt, cargo shorts, and sneakers to the parks

polo shirt, khaki or plaid shorts and dressy sandles to table service restaurants, jelly rolls, or pleasure island

Jasper
05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Our normal time to go is the last week before Thanksgiving so I know what you mean about the difficulty in packing. I don't know why, but even if it is cool enough to wear a sweater/sweatshirt, or light jacket we still are comfortable in shorts so when in doubt we tend to pack more shorts than long pants.

However, we do have a plan to help us minimize the luggage. About a week before we leave we start making three piles of clothes for each person going. On the first pile we put warm weather clothes like shorts and short sleeve shirts and on the second we put cool weather clothes like long pants (usually nice jeans) and long sleeve shirts and nice sweat shirts. The third pile is for things that we need regardless of the weather like underwear, handkerchiefs, medications, toiletries, sun screen, etc.

Then during the last two days before we leave we carefully check the National Weather Service website for what the weather will be like in Orlando during the time we plan on being there. Then we use that information to help us decide which pile to pack. And yes, even if it says clearly that the weather is going to be one way or the other we still grab one or two things from the other pile "just in case." And. of course, we also pack the third pile as well.

I know some people are driven crazy by waiting until the last minute to pack but given the current drive by airlines to charge for luggage it does seem to make more sense than it use to.

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 01:18 PM
I was wondering how everyone dresses for the World? :scratch: What are you most comfortable in?

:vacation:

I am typically in a skirt and tank top. (I am so much cooler in a skirt than shorts). :curtsy:

I usually bring a nice outfit or two for each of us for going out to dinner at night. :eat:

We are heading down in November (our first time traveling to the World in November) and I am already getting overwhelmed with the packing; especially since all of the airlines are cracking down on luggage and there are five of us! It sounds like we are going to need to be prepared for all sorts of weather.

We're the same way. I like skirts too. Im just a girly girl like that - skorts really - can save a little embarrassment getting on/off rides. It seems like 90% of our pics are of us in Disney so I at least try to look nice - DH is more of a tshirt/basketball shorts kind of guy but as long as his shirt isnt too snug (hes a big guy) I dont give him much grief and DD is 17 so she usually dresses pretty cute but I cant really dictate what she wears without :rolleyes: I also get my hair cut and highlighted 2 weeks before we go so that way it looks nice too.

We like to bring nice outfits too for our signature dinners... then we get a photopass somewhere all of us dressed up! With no weddings recently or in the near future its the only time we'd get pics like that.

In Nov it can be kinda tricky - cool one minute and warm the next. I wore alot of jackets with shorts during the day and jackets and pants at night.

Taja
05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Plan on taking layers that can be added or removed as needed. We usually visit WDW in December, and layers usually work well. Except last year. It was in the 80s (didn't even cool down much at night) for the first 7 days, then dipped down to a high of 35 degrees on departure day. BRRRR!!!

We usually stay for 10 nights. I usually do laundry, as I have a limited wardrobe (by choice). My friends usually don't do laundry, but we had a 14-week-old infant with us last years, so mid-trip laundry was a necessity for them, as well.

My holiday (vacation) wardrobe is based on my business wardrobe, so my primary colour is black, with jewel tones to liven it up a bit.

Here's what I typically pack:

3 pairs slacks
3 pairs capris (shorts, skorts, etc.)
6 coordinating tanks/sleeveless shells
2 lightweight jackets (equivalent of long-sleeved shirts)
1 or 2 swimsuits
2 waffle-weave tops
2 sweatshirts
8 sets lingerie
12 pairs socks (really dislike wet feet!)
2 pairs park shoes (sneakers, in my case)
1 pair Birks (black patent)
1 pair sandals (black walking, can wear for dress)
1 nightgown
1 warm jacket (stadium coat), gloves & hat

You'll be coming from a colder climate, so you'll be prepared with the jacket, gloves and hats/caps! I live in the desert, and unless the weather is quite cold, easily can forget to take them. So they're on my list!

I do wear my heaviest pair of sneakers on the plane, so I'm only packing three pairs of shoes. Everything except the stadium jacket fits into a 24" rolling case, which also is where I pack larger toiletries.

I use either an 18" rolling duffel or my rolling laptop case as a carry-on bag. In addition to my laptop and geek bag, both will hold a complete change of clothing plus nightgown, extra set of lingerie and 3-1-1 bag, as well as my stadium jacket. My luggage has a history of missing connecting flights and I don't like RTW clothing--it doesn't fit properly. *sigh*

Last year I actually had a long-sleeved t-shirt with embroidered holly sprigs to wear to MVMCP, but it was too warm to wear it! That was a first for me! *LOL*

Strmchsr
05-23-2008, 02:33 PM
I wear whatever DW puts in the suitcase. :D

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I wear whatever DW puts in the suitcase. :D

Thats funny! Boy, to rely on my spouse to pack for me would never happen!!! I pack for everyone but my DH. He has it down to a science, packs a small bag, and always looks good. Me, on the other hand, would pack my closet if I could. I just feel better with choices!:blush:

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Thats funny! Boy, to rely on my spouse to pack for me would never happen!!! I pack for everyone but my DH. He has it down to a science, packs a small bag, and always looks good. Me, on the other hand, would pack my closet if I could. I just feel better with choices!:blush:

Me too! I always over pack but I feel like - what if I want to wear this outfit or that one??? If I didnt bring a particular item its almost guaranteed that I would want it in the World. As a teen I was the kind of girl who constantly threw fits in front of the closet while getting ready for school, crying I wasnt going to school because I had "nothing to wear!!!" or "Ive worn that too many times already!!!" LOL I wouldnt even go check the mail if my earrings didnt match my outfit kind of thing. :rolleyes: Now Im just happy that I have options. :thumbsup: Of course sometimes I still feel like "I dont wanna wear that!!!" :blush: hence bringing half the wardrobe to WDW and why I prefer driving.

dont EVEN get me started on shoes... :secret:

Strmchsr
05-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, the reason I let DW pack for me is she gets so excited she starts packing 2-3 weeks before we leave. I, on the other hand, usually pack 5-10 minutes before I leave for a trip. I always manage to get everything together easily, but it stresses her out so much that it's easier for me to just let her pack.

Jasper
05-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, the reason I let DW pack for me is she gets so excited she starts packing 2-3 weeks before we leave. I, on the other hand, usually pack 5-10 minutes before I leave for a trip. I always manage to get everything together easily, but it stresses her out so much that it's easier for me to just let her pack.

Are we married to the same woman?:D

Strmchsr
05-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Are we married to the same woman?:D

Aha! Now I know where she goes while I'm at the office. :D

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Aha! Now I know where she goes while I'm at the office. :D

where? packing Jaspers suitcase? :mickey:

princessjojo
05-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I find that I become compulsive when it comes to packing for any trip. Because I love shoes, it really becomes easier as well. I pack a complete outfit, head to toe for each day, shoes included. If I'm there for 10 days I have 10 outfits. But I can wear one or two of them over. But that also means I have at least 5 pairs of shoes. Each outfit is on a hanger so I just have to pull it out and it's done. All the way down to the underclothes. The winter, I'm not as bad, but I still have basics done that way. But I always make sure to cover all my bases with regards to weather. Having the washer will help out a ton.

mouseketeer mom
05-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Me too! I always over pack but I feel like - what if I want to wear this outfit or that one??? If I didnt bring a particular item its almost guaranteed that I would want it in the World. As a teen I was the kind of girl who constantly threw fits in front of the closet while getting ready for school, crying I wasnt going to school because I had "nothing to wear!!!" or "Ive worn that too many times already!!!" LOL I wouldnt even go check the mail if my earrings didnt match my outfit kind of thing. :rolleyes: Now Im just happy that I have options. :thumbsup: Of course sometimes I still feel like "I dont wanna wear that!!!" :blush: hence bringing half the wardrobe to WDW and why I prefer driving.

dont EVEN get me started on shoes... :secret:

Ha Ha! I think I've found my long lost twin.
We don't drive, its a haul from NJ, but if I did...oh boy, the possibilities. I stand there breaking a sweat at the airline counter wondering if my luggage is over the weight limit allowed. I pack all sorts of combinations of clothing, allowing for all possible circumstances!! Hee Hee. I even pack a whole seperate small piece of luggage with a mini pharmacy in it..hair products, toiletries, lotions, sunscreens, over the counter meds for any possible ailment that might come up, and believe me, we have dipped into the bag for those things!