PDA

View Full Version : Christian music star's daughter tragically killed

Melanie
05-22-2008, 04:42 AM
What a terrible tragedy! :(

Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter fatally struck by SUV driven by her brother

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- The 5-year-old daughter of Grammy-winning Christian music star Steven Curtis Chapman was struck and killed Wednesday by a sport utility vehicle driven by her brother, authorities said.

Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter was fatally struck by a sport utility vehicle driven by her brother Wednesday.

The girl, Maria Sue, was hit in the driveway of the family's home Wednesday afternoon by a Toyota Land Cruiser driven by her teenage brother, said Laura McPherson, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Highway Patrol.

The brother, whose name and exact age weren't available, apparently did not see the girl, McPherson said. No charges are expected.

"It looks like a tragic accident," she said.

Several family members witnessed the accident, which happened in Williamson County just south of Nashville. The girl died later at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, hospital spokeswoman Laurie Holloway said.

In a statement, Velvet Kelm, a publicist for Chapman, said Maria was the Chapmans' youngest daughter.

Chapman, who is originally from Paducah, Ky., and his wife have promoted international adoption and have three daughters from China, including Maria. They also have three biological children.

The singer's Web site says the couple was persuaded by their oldest daughter to adopt a girl from China. The experience led the family to adopt two more children and create Shaohannah's Hope, a foundation and ministry to financially assist thousands of couples in adoption.

The Chapmans did missionary work at Chinese orphanages in 2006 and 2007, according to the Web site.

"After our first trip to China, my wife and I knew our lives were changing -- our eyes and hearts were opening to how big God really is, and we have wanted to experience more of that," Chapman says on the Web site.

"We've really wondered whether or not we should just go to China and stay there. But I don't think so. I believe God is saying, 'I want you to go, get your heart broken, your eyes opened, and then take this story back to the church in America and around the world."'

The 45-year-old singer also has released a book about being a father titled "Cinderella: The Love of Daddy and his Princess." He has won five Grammy awards and 54 Dove awards from the Gospel Music Association, according to Kelm.

sgdisney
05-22-2008, 06:21 AM
How terribly sad. I just heard Cinderella on the radio last night and everytime I hear it I almost cry. My prayers go out to the Chapmans.

Strmchsr
05-22-2008, 07:40 AM
That's a terrible accident. My prayers are definitely with SCC and family.

RedSoxFan
05-22-2008, 08:14 AM
This is so tragic. My thoughts go out to the family.

disneydrmr
05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I heard this on the radio this am. How sad. I've been praying for them, especially for the son.. to bear this for the rest of his life.. how horrible. SCC is such a wonderful singer and has such a loving, tight knit family. I pray that God will comfort them and hold them up during this time of great sorrow.

TheMartellFamily
05-22-2008, 08:45 AM
How very sad. They said it was an accident.

Wrigley
05-22-2008, 09:03 AM
What a terrible accident. SCC is one of my favorite singers-my heart and prayers go out to his family.

Dsnygirl
05-22-2008, 09:07 AM
What a terrible thing to have happened... my heart goes out to his family at this time, and esp. to his son, who I'm sure must be hurting so deeply. God bless this special family -- SCC has been a favorite of mine, and I know God will carry him & his family through this awful tragedy.

5fromabove
05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Just so heartbreakingly sad. :( I am a huge SCC fan too...and I can't even beging to imagine the pain that they are all feeling. :( Prayers for the whole family . :(

LauraleeH
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
That is so sad, the poor brother! I'm praying for them, I can't even imagine...

Jeff
05-22-2008, 10:13 AM
I heard this news on the radio this morning. How tragic. The poor brother!!!!

I love Chapman's music. How sad.

NJGIRL
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Very sad for the whole family. The brother must be going thur h---.

SurferStitch
05-22-2008, 10:53 AM
What a horrible accident. I feel so terrible for the family, and especially the brother. To have to live with that must be so crushing.

So sad.

MNNHFLTX
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM
:( What a sad thing to happen. I have always liked Steven Curtis Chapman and cannot imagine the pain he and his wife must feel, or that of their teenage son. My prayers will be with them.

ChipnDaleGal
05-22-2008, 11:39 AM
An event like this makes you hurt for everyone involved, but I feel especially bad for the poor son. I hope that he is able to find a way to truly see this was an accident and not let this be the point that his own life ends too. I would think the enormity of the guilt would be mind numbing. I am sure he will see this playing over and over in his mind everyday for the rest of his life. Poor guy. :(

PirateLover
05-22-2008, 12:16 PM
Very heartbreaking and tragic. We don't know the whole story but so many people get hurt from those who don't pay attention while backing out and pulling into their driveway. Very, very sad.

joanna71985
05-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Oh my goodness, that is so sad!:(

faline
05-22-2008, 03:25 PM
What a horrible tragedy for this family.

Gator
05-22-2008, 03:32 PM
You may have had a chance to see SCC at Epcot during the Christmas season. He has been a reader at the Candlelight Processional for years. He is also the most prominent Christian music artist of today.

It was reported that his teenage son accidently ran over his 5yo daughter. An absolute tragedy. It's the very same daughter he wrote a song about entitled "Cinderella". If you've heard it, you know that this song will now take on a whole new meaning. May God be with his family in this time of tragedy.

Lucyrella
05-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I also can not imagine what his family must be going through. I know his faith will help them, but still a heart breaking tragedy to have to get through. I hope that they will find peace through all the thoughts and prayers that they are receiving.

This truly was just the saddest thing ever for me, I also have 2 daughters from China, and know how special his little girl was.

I hope time will heal,

pink
05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
That is terrible- my heart goes out to the family. :(

DISFREAKS
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm also a huge fan. He seems to be able to write songs that are so relevant to my life. Our prayers go out to their family.

Donalds Duckie
05-22-2008, 07:48 PM
It is truly a tragic accident. My prayers will continue to be with the family, his son, and all that this family must get through and eventually overcome. SCC's family rep made a statement that they are receiving our prayers and are thankful for them. Our prayers are truly needed, not just now, but for quite some time.

SCC's music and ministry have been a part of my life for decades. SCC has been there for so many others in their time of deep loss. Now, he needs us. Let "them know us by our love" as we keep these brothers and sisters lifted in our prayers.

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

mouseketeer mom
05-22-2008, 08:30 PM
This is so very sad. There are no words for this horrible loss. Prayers are with this family to find peace again.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
How tragic for him and his family. His poor son must feel horrible. My sympathies to the family.

Figaro
05-22-2008, 11:32 PM
I was shocked to hear this news. I believe his other daughter just got engaged, also which made him add a 3rd verse to his Cinderella song. My prayers go out to him and his family at this hard time.

Cinderelley
05-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh how terrible! Now I'll be crying when I hear his Cinderella song, just like I do when I hear Eric Clapton's song.