PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about cabinet refacing

hooberry
05-21-2008, 11:50 PM
:confused::confused:I am planning on doing a kitchen remodel- tear out a wall, add an island,computer area and change cabinets and countertops- I currently have dark cherry stained cabinets and I want to go a cream finish with a glaze over. My cabinets now are in perfect condition except I don't like the color. how does cabinet refacing work and is it worth looking into:confused:

DizneyRox
05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
I think usually a refacing is new doors and then cleaning up the cabinets themselves, and installing a veneer over the edges to match the doors. Doors are usually the most expensive part fo the cabinet.

Sounds like you just want to paint your cabinets, something you can do. It's a pain, but worth the huge savings, I think. You want to look at oil based paints, they level out better and will give you a better looking finish.

magicofdisney
05-23-2008, 09:33 AM
I wanted to paint some furniture recently. I did a lot of internet research and set out with a plan of action. I went to Lowe's to buy my supplies and was asking the sales person in paint, some questions. She gave me wrong information that I'll share with you so you don't make the same mistake.

I started with a small project, nesting tables. They had a cherry finish and I wanted black. I wanted to sand them and she said it wasn't necessary if I used a good primer (like Kilz). She said to just prime and then paint. I told her the tables had some sort of finish on them but she said it didn't matter. Well, it DOES matter! I really wished I had followed my instincts and sanded first. This may seem obvious for some (painfully so for me, now) but I just trusted what she said. Thank goodness it was a small, unimportant project. At least in the future, I'll sand first. HTH. :)

DizneyRox
05-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Moral of the story, don't go to Lowes/Home Depot for your painting needs/advice. A place like Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams is a much better starting point, and the paints are superior to boot.

I don't paint with anything but Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Tried the others, they really are junk compared to those. I don't give a hoot what Consumer Reports says about Behr, it's HORRIBLE!

Find me a pro that paints with Behr or Valspar and I'll tell you to get a real painter.

quest4dl
05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I had my kitchen cabinets refaced and they turned out beautifully. That being said, it works best if you are staying in the same colour family or shade. For example, if you have white cabinets and want a darker colour, your doors will not match the interior of the box of your cabinets when you open the door. It's also true that most of the cost is in the cabinet door, not the cabinet. For example, our refaced cabinets cost $11,000 instead of $15,000 for a complete cabinet. The other factor that was a deciding one for me, was with refacing, I still had the use of my kitchen every night. When you completely replace cabinets, they tear everything out, order the cabinets, install the cabinets, measure for a new counter, order the counter etc. If you are using the same cabinet base, they can order the counters at the same time and the counter install actually just takes a few hours.

Flower
05-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Moral of the story, don't go to Lowes/Home Depot for your painting needs/advice. A place like Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams is a much better starting point, and the paints are superior to boot.

I don't paint with anything but Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore. Tried the others, they really are junk compared to those. I don't give a hoot what Consumer Reports says about Behr, it's HORRIBLE!

Find me a pro that paints with Behr or Valspar and I'll tell you to get a real painter.

I TOTALLY agree with you - go to an actual paint store and pay the difference for a better paint & quality service, it will be worth it in the end. I have heard excellent things about Benjamin Moores new Aura paints, it is $65 Canadian for a gallon, but that is what I will be painting with next time around.