PDA

View Full Version : Changes: Airline Check-in At Resorts

TheRustyScupper
05-21-2008, 04:15 PM
1) The airline check-in at resorts is now limited to one bag per guest.
2) This is due to airline charges for more than one bag.
3) The check-in company (BAGS, Inc) can't collect the charges.
4) If you want more checked luggage, you must take them to airport and check them.

NOTE: It was discussed today that the airline check-in at WDW resorts will no longer accept ANY checked luggage for American Airlines, since the airline will charge $15 for the first checked bag.

faline
05-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Looks like there's going to be lots more luggage on the buses which will slow down the process of disembarking at each airport location.

These airline changes will make it difficult to continue to offer this as a service!

Ed
05-21-2008, 04:25 PM
NOTE: It was discussed today that the airline check-in at WDW resorts will no longer accept ANY checked luggage for American Airlines, since the airline will charge $15 for the first checked bag.

Are they nuts? Have they totally lost their senses? :confused:

Looks to me like AA is trying very hard to kill off their own once-proud largest airline in the country, one passenger at a time. :shake:

Ed
05-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Did a little more research on this... here's what CNN has (emphasis added):

FORT WORTH — American Airlines, hit hard by escalating fuel prices, said Wednesday passengers will be hit with fees to check any bag, starting with tickets purchased after June 15.

American and its American Eagle subsidiary will also trim their fleets, cut their flight schedules and lay off workers in the coming months.

Speaking at the annual meeting of AMR Corporation, the parent company of both airlines, chairman, president and CEO Gerard Arpey said travelers would face a $15 charge for the first piece of luggage checked, the first time any major domestic airline has used this method to increase revenue.

Delta doesn't plan to match American's fee for the first checked bag, airline spokeswoman Betsy Talton said.

"These are difficult but necessary steps," Arpey said, noting that rising oil prices have inflated the airline's annual fuel costs by nearly $3 billiion since the start of the year.

American recently instituted a $25 fee for second bags checked after a free first bag. Arpey said other passenger fees will be increased, including surcharges for pets and for unaccompanied minors.

Also on Wednesday, Arpey said AMR planned to cut its domestic capacity by up to 12 percent by retiring 40 to 45 American Airlines jets and 30 to 35 American Eagle aircraft starting in the fourth quarter. Some of the planes will be retired; others will be parked at a desert storage facility.

Arpey said fewer flights will lead to job cuts at both American and American Eagle. The number of workers facing layoffs was not announced.

AMR shares tumbled $1.10, or 13.4 percent :eek:, to $7.10 after the announcement which came as its shareholders gathered for their annual meeting.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks like slow-motion corporate suicide to me.

Aurora
05-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Whoa.

I don't get the $15 per bag charge. Why don't they just tack the charge onto the airline ticket? Their fares aren't any lower than other airlines to broadcast charges like this.

I'm looking into my crystal ball and I don't like what I see....

thrillme
05-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I guess I'm DONE with American. The second bag charge was one thing the charge to check ONE bag is nutz. I guess everybody is expected to take "carry ons".

I figure if you can pack down to ONLY one bag for a week...that's still going to be $30 because you'll have to bring the bag back. I can't feasibly see a family of 4 packing only ONE bag.

It seems like it almost be cheaper to pack your "unmentionables" and swimsuit in a carry on and stop by the Goodwill (thrift store) and buy enough for the week. Drop the clothes off at Goodwill on the way back.

dudeman1975
05-21-2008, 07:39 PM
What a shame to charge for carrying a bag. Maybe they want to attract the business class people who just use carry on.

wdwnomad
05-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I think BAGS is going to have to come up with a plan to start being able to collect money or else they are going to have to stop offering remote check-in service. Most airlines are now charging for the second bag so they are losing passengers there. Now American is charging for all bags so there goes all of the American customers. I wouldn't be suprised if other airlines follow shortly with this so there goes those customers as well.

The only airline that doesn't charge for more than two bags is Southwest but they don't even participate in the remote check-in service.

Tink#64
05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
4) If you want more checked luggage, you must take them to airport and check them.

:confused: OK, I'm confused! I thought this was only AA, we usually fly Delta, & this year we drove for the first time. We usually have 2 bags per person! My gosh, what a pain! So we would check half our luggage with BAGS & have to haul the other half with us to the airport to check? I didn't know that other airlines (we haven't flown for 2 years now) where following suit on this. If the others aren't, then why should everyone else be inconvenienced? :confused:

TheRustyScupper
05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
. . . I didn't know that other airlines (we haven't flown for 2 years now) where following suit on this. If the others aren't, then why should everyone else be inconvenienced? . . .

1) Most airlines automatically charge for a 2nd checked bag per person.
2) They usually don't charge for 1st Class or Business Elite passengers.
3) BAGS, Inc can't collect the extra charges or over weight (50#) bags.*
4) So, you must do it at the airport.

* Each bag already is weighed at the resort airline check-in. If it is overweight, they will not check the bag and you must take it with you to the airport on DME.

BMan62
05-22-2008, 03:44 PM
I can see the laundry facilities at the resorts getting busier - people will bring one set of clothing in a carry-on and switch with the clothes they wear on the plane. At the end of each day, they will do a load of laundry so that they have clean for the next day.

My boss did this - not because he wanted to, but because the airline he flew to Hawaii lost his, and his whole family's) luggage! He said it actually worked out well.

TheRustyScupper
05-23-2008, 08:42 AM
My boss did this - not because he wanted to, but because the airline he flew to Hawaii lost his, and his whole family's) luggage! He said it actually worked out well.

1) We haven't taken more than one WDW carryon per person in years.
2) It really does work out quite well.

JPL
05-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I can see carry-on luggage starting to push the limits with people trying to buy bigger bags they can fit more in. I picture a 5 year old with a carry-on bigger than the child :shake:

sillyolbear
05-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I can understand why AA is making this change and can also understand the reason for not just upping every ticket by $15.

The people I feel sorry for are the flight attendants. They'll be the one's having to deal with all the issues as they face the pressure of trying to get the cabin ready for an on-time push back.

KylesMom
05-23-2008, 09:57 AM
I had this discussion with DH this morning - since we go for an extended period of time (and I don't do laundry on vacation!), we're going to take three checked bags & ensure that any of our carry-on bags are within airline specs - I'm sure they're going to get much tighter in making sure your carry-ons are within the proper dimensions! But instead of a shoulder-type gym bag & a backpack that we usually use as carry-ons, we'll be taking our small rolling bags. We LOVE using the airline checkin at the resort and don't want to lose this benefit!

Gottaluvgoof
05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
I fly Southwest, so I guess it doesn't effect me. We always have to take our own luggage anyway. I do think the security check points at the airports are going to be extremely busy now, with most people wanting to carry on, instead of paying the fees for checking.

2Epcot
05-23-2008, 11:43 AM
Whoa.

I don't get the $15 per bag charge. Why don't they just tack the charge onto the airline ticket? Their fares aren't any lower than other airlines to broadcast charges like this.

I agree, I think they loose more customers by adding the first bag fee, then just by adding the $15 to the ticket price.

I fly Southwest, so I guess it doesn't effect me. We always have to take our own luggage anyway.

I'm also a Southwest flyer. I think I've flown American only once, years ago, also United and Delta sometimes, but Southwest gets me where I need to go most of the time.

Nascfan
05-23-2008, 02:25 PM
1) We haven't taken more than one WDW carryon per person in years.
2) It really does work out quite well.

I fail to understand this. One carryon for a vacation? You don't wear contacts do you? The saline and/or cleaning solution alone would be over the liquid limit. What deodorant do you use? I think pretty close to all of those are over 3 ounces also. I just can't fathom not having a checked bag for a vacation.

TheRustyScupper
05-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I picture a 5 year old with a carry-on bigger than the child .

I think I saw this kid last week on a flight from DC to Orlando.

MegaDisney
05-23-2008, 09:02 PM
As someone who works "in the industry" be prepared for more changes/charges like this.

For example:

British Airways only allows pre-assigned seating on FULL fare tickets.

US Airways now charges a premium for pre-assigned window or aisle seating. They are also getting rid of "snacks" and have food for purchase.

Northwest no longer offers snacks, food for purchase only.

Many airlines now charge for the second and third bag.

Many airlines now charge a "fuel surcharge" as part of your ticket price.

As the cost of oil continues to rise we can expect more and more of these "surcharges"

MegaDisney
05-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Here is some more information you guys may be interested in:

AirTran Airways charges an additional $10 fee each time a second bag is checked.

American Airlines charges an addtional $25 fee each time a second bag is checked. The fee is for travel on for refundable and non-refundable economy tickets within the United States, to and from Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Starting on/after June 15, AA will charge $15 for the first check bag.

Continental Airlines charges an additional $25 fee each time a second bag is checked for Latin America and Domestic travel.

Delta Air Lines charges an additional $25 fee each time a second bag is checked for Domestic travel.

JetBlue Airways charges an additional $20 fee each time a second bag is checked. The fee is for travel on or after June 1, 2008.

Northwest Airlines charges an additional $25 fee each time a second bag is checked (also applicable to Northwest Airlink customers flying on Mesaba, Pinnacle or Compass Airlines.) The fee is for economy tickets within North America.

Spirit Airlines charges an additional fee each time a bag is checked, starting at $20 per bag.

Sun Country charges an additional $25 fee each time a second bags is checked. Additional bags, as will as bags over 62 linear inches and 50 pounds, are subject to excess baggage fees starting at $60 for the first piece of excess and $90 for each additional piece of excess baggage.

United Airlines charges an additional $25 fee each time a second bag is checked. The fee is for refundable and non-refundable economy tickets within the United States and to/from Canada, San Juan and St. Thomas.

US Airways charges an additional $25 fee each time a second bag is checked. The fee is for economy tickets within the U.S. and to/from Canada, Latin America, the Caribbean and Europe)

MauiMouse
05-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Here is some more information you guys may be interested in:

AirTran Airways charges an additional $10 fee each time a second bag is checked.

I thought that sounded too good when everyone else is charging $20 - $25 for the second bag. From the AirTran website:

Free Baggage Allowance
For each fare-paying customer, AirTran Airways will allow one (1) checked piece free of charge, with size and weight limitations. The charge for a second checked bag will be $10 when paid using Online Check-In or $20 when paid at the airport kiosks and ticket counter.

I use the second bag on my way home, won't be able to use the Online Check-In at Disney so it will be $20 for me, if I decide to do it this go around.

LudwigVonDrake
05-24-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm glad that American is not an option for me but this charge will/has backfire(d).

I figure the backlash will be so great, they'll drop the charge and raise their prices accordingly which is what they should have done originally.

I'm glad that I fly Southwest...until they follow suit.

TheRustyScupper
05-24-2008, 02:32 PM
. . . I figure the backlash will be so great, they'll drop the charge and raise their prices accordingly which is what they should have done originally . . .

1) I am not sure.
2) Other airlines are already looking at this.
3) I would rather see the luggage fee.
4) If you can pack wisely and just carry-on, your fare is less.
5) Why should my fare subsidize folks who need more luggage?
6) Or, can't pack more wisely?

DisneyDudet
05-24-2008, 05:29 PM
As for someone who rarely checks bags, but has VERY limited selection of nonstop carriers to MCO, this makes me upset. I hate to be charged for necessities. Really, that is what it boils down to. You can't carry on full size anything, so you check it, well, you have to pay for that, so why have that?

I am glad that we booked Air Tran for Sept. Our only problem with our DCL cruise is the one suitcase we will bring to check, we don't know what we're doing to do on the way home, whether we can send it on its merry way from the ship, or collect it and drag it to the bus, get our boarding passes (eh, we should get them the night before), board the bus, get to airport, unload bus with luggage, and check in our bag. What an unneeded extra step.

I HATE AMERICAN AIRLINES.

DizneyRox
05-24-2008, 08:42 PM
6) Or, can't pack more wisely?
My mantra, "You pack it, you carry it!" works very well in keeping luggage to a minimum.

bmj721
05-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I have flown nationally and internationally multiple times over the last 30 years. From this I have learned the value of:
1. One bag is enough, If you can't fit it in, you don't need it
2. Carry-on luggage is a pain in the security line and yes, I have contacts and other needed items. But I also have a reasonablly sized purse and a strong dislike of dragging a carry-on all over an airport, etc. If the souvenirs mount up they are shipped home.
3. Our family of four have traveled to Disney and always take enough clothes for 1/2 of the trip. This means we share two suitcases. Mid trip we have a down day at the resort pool and on that day the laundry is done. It's a win-win situation for all. I won't pay to take my luggage on an airline. If it comes to that I'll ship the clothes on ahead to the resort.
:thumbsup:

TheRustyScupper
05-25-2008, 04:25 PM
My mantra, "You pack it, you carry it!" works very well in keeping luggage to a minimum.

I love it, and I need to remember this one.

Puppy Mom
05-26-2008, 09:37 AM
I figure that Americans have not been paying enough for air travel for years. Maybe if we had paid what it actually cost to fly all those years then there wouldn't be so many bankrupt airlines. Now we are having to pick up a little closer to the cost of our flight.

The only problem is that when people get used to getting something on the cheap they don't like it one bit when the price goes up.

I am not looking forward to all the yahoos that will be trying to carry a suitcase the size of a small car on to he plane and then screaming that they don't want to pay the fee when a flight attendant makes them check the bag.

It isn't going to be pretty flying this summer.

DisneyDudet
05-26-2008, 06:23 PM
I am not looking forward to all the yahoos that will be trying to carry a suitcase the size of a small car on to he plane and then screaming that they don't want to pay the fee when a flight attendant makes them check the bag.

Well, what is going to happen is the security check employees will be hit with this. They will have to regulate the sizes before coming through security. I know, there were times that some didn't think my suitcases will fit (I carried that bag on probably 20 flights, so I was sure it was size). They made me put it in that stupid little metal thing to make sure it fit (they felt silly, as it had room to spare). They will have to make sure of this now.

The major problem will be the fact that too many people will be utilizing their 2 carry on bags, and there will not be enough room. People already put their little things in the overhead bins instead of under the seat, so they may have to enforce this more as well.

We've decided that we're not going to mess w/ check ins on our cruise. Even though we're exempt, we're somewhat boycotting it already.

MegaDisney
05-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Some airlines are actually studying charging airfare based on weight.

Passenger weight + baggage weight X fare per pound (based on distance and route) = Ticket Cost.

Pop Centurion
05-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Some airlines are actually studying charging airfare based on weight.

Passenger weight + baggage weight X fare per pound (based on distance and route) = Ticket Cost.
I've heard that also and think it's ridiculous. I know weight has an effect on the fuel consumption of the plane but I don't think it's fair. And no I'm not overweight =P As a 170lb man I think I'd be on the low end of the price range but just because someone else weighs more than me they shouldn't have to pay more.

joelkfla
05-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Disney announced internally today that baggage for American Airlines, and additional baggage for AirTran, Continental, Delta, JetBlue, Northwest, and US Airways, will be accepted at resort check-in counters if the baggage fees have been prepaid.

This new policy is effective 6/1/2008.

Here are some additional details from the cast web site:

Guests should call Baggage Airline Guest Services at 407-284-1231 to pay their airline’s excess luggage fees. Guests will need to pay their airline fees prior to checking in with the Resort Airline Check-In desk.

The Resort Airline Check-In desks are unable to collect luggage fees on behalf of the airlines.

Guests must pay with a credit card: MasterCard, Visa, and American Express are accepted.

Guests may contact Baggage Airline Guest Services seven days a week between the hours of 7:00 am and 11:00 pm.

lockedoutlogic
05-31-2008, 01:02 PM
perhaps when the US finally allows foreign carriers to operate within the US....this kind of nonsense will cease....

no competition has price fixed for years....allowing all of the pilots, attendents, and handlers unions to push for increases that have crippled the airlines.....

and to be clear....i'm an old style union kinda guy from the rust belt.....but airlines are operated so backwards that's its a miracle anybody flys at all.

this thing with bags is silly.....but for the record....charging for extra probably is the most fair way to do it.

it's not right for a business man with a briefcase and a laptop to have to pay more across the board on a flight from jfk to orlando because their are families.....who have been to WDW 20 times.....who can't leave home without the entire toy room....the Wii....Food....and some of the other stupidity that people take with them....

but at the same time.....i know what this will do.....it will add to the ranks of those who bring full size suitcases as carryons and try to bypass the baggage claim.....you know? to get back those invaluable 11 minutes of their lives....

i'll be watching the airlines closely....their's no reason to believe that any decrease is coming in fuel....and since US airlines are losers anyways....that means bankruptcies....

the government will have to step in and save them.....but hopefully they will rethink the entire way we fly....not just put a bandaid on it....

luvdiznee
06-18-2008, 12:36 PM

[/I][/B]
Does this go for us who are going on JetBlue in Sept, but because we booked our flights, way before June 1, I thought for that reason we weren't affected by the 1 bag only policy. :confused:

joelkfla
06-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Does this go for us who are going on JetBlue in Sept, but because we booked our flights, way before June 1, I thought for that reason we weren't affected by the 1 bag only policy. :confused:
Please read my reply 3 up. The info in the original post is no longer valid.

As to your specific question:

I don't know how guests who are grandfathered out of extra luggage fees are being handled. You could call the phone number in my previous post and ask the company that is providing the service.

luvdiznee
06-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Please read my reply 3 up. The info in the original post is no longer valid.

As to your specific question:

I don't know how guests who are grandfathered out of extra luggage fees are being handled. You could call the phone number in my previous post and ask the company that is providing the service.

Thank You. :mickey:

gwfx1031
06-20-2008, 01:34 PM
You are now better off shipping your luggage via FedEx Ground a few days in advance and having it there for when you arrive instead of putting up with these crazy charges. It will be cheaper in the long run.