PDA

View Full Version : Jessica's Birthday Trip - Driving & AutoTrain

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, I'm finally sitting down to do a detailed trip report! I've learned so much from reading everyone else's that I thought it was high time to put my thoughts into a report.

So, hold on to your hats, and take small children by the hand and off we go!

The Cast:
Me - 32, the self-proclaimed Disney-nut (and proud of it), the chief planner for the trip, and the keeper of the details.

DH - 37 - another Disney nut.

DD - 9 3/4 (she will turn 10 on the trip). Thinks she is the luckiest kid alive to get to go to Disney on her birthday

DM - my mother, 61 - on her first trip ever to Disney!

Travel:
We set off from rainy and cold Brampton (near Toronto) and made it into the US with little delay or issue at the Border (gotta love having passports, even at land crossings it makes everything so quick). We were only driving to Pittsburg today, then onto Virgina tomorrow to catch the AutoTrain. Mom had her knee replaced a couple of months ago, and is still fairly sore and couldn't mange the long drive in the car.

The rain plauged us most of the way, but DH did a great job driving and we stopped at a Holiday Inn Express in Scottsdale; it was just lovely.

The next moring we set off for Amtrak, and almost didn't make it due to an accident in Washington, but with a little luck we made it in time to check our car in and Board the train.

The AutoTrain :train:was just wonderful. We loved every minute of it, and are converts...we won't drive again :car:

We had two roomettes on the lower level, and it was like we were the only people on the train. We had a couple in the family bedroom beside us, and another in the disabled bedroom at the other end of the car, but that was it on the lower level. Dinner was as good as any restuarant, DH had steak, Mom had seafood and DD and I had the kids choice of chicken fingers and fries. Everything came with salad, dessert, wine and pop. The service was wonderful, and it was just plain fun eating on the train.

After dinner we took DD to see the movie (Enchanted), but 1/2 way through she was too tired, so we had our beds set-up and we were off to sleep.

We didn't sleep great on the train, but I think it had more to do with excitment than any problem with the train, the bed was actually really comfy.

In the morning there was just enough time for breakfast, and to pack up and we were arriving.

Our car was off the train quickly, and by 10:15am we were off to Disney!

Next Up: Arriving at Disney and MK! :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
05-21-2008, 11:39 AM
How FUN! Sounds like you're off to a great start!

faline
05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
With your description of the experience, I'm, almost tempted to think seriously about the auto train! Glad the trip went smoothly!

ChipnDaleGal
05-21-2008, 02:06 PM
That is so great that your daughter will have a birthday while you are there and your mom will be enjoying her first WDW trip as well. The train ride down seemed to work out just perfectly for you. Thanks for the report. :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Off to a good start!:mickey:

tinkerbell04
05-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Sounds like you are off to a great start! I can't wait to read more. The train sounds like a great option! I will keep it in mind for the future.

pdrlkr
05-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Great start! :smickey:

Bethis26fan
05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Sounds like a good start.

MauiMouse
05-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Wish that they had the auto-train a little further west and I'd definitely try it. Glad that you had a good experience. :mickey:

Janmac
05-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the report on the auto train. I too wish there was a mid-west option. We love riding the train. I'm glad you and your family had a good experience.

Jan

wdwgrl377
05-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for reporting! Off to a great start!! :mickey:

McGoofy
05-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Oops...I read your reports out of order, but I enjoyed hearing more about the autotrain. I know you guys were getting so excited at this point!!:mickey:

KineGirl
05-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Ahhh the autotrain.. :mickey:

I took the autotrain from Va when I moved to FL about 10 years ago and I was hooked too! DD & I packed my large truck to the hilt with all the "stuff" and my BF followed a week later with the uhaul of furniture. Saved us gas, time, money plus I didnt have to worry about him packing :rolleyes:

off to read the rest of your report!

cal5755
05-27-2008, 11:18 PM
That sounds like a fun way to get to Florida!! Glad you enjoyed your ride and your dinner!