PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk questions

the other micki
05-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I've never been to the boardwalk, but would like to try it on our next trip. My questions are:
how do you get there from Epcot? How long of a walk is it? Where do you like to eat there? What is the atmosphere like? What should we not miss with kids? Do the games cost money? If so, how much? Thank you!!!

JuicyMoose17
05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
The Boardwalk is great! We've stayed there before and are going back for our next trip in Sept.

The walk is not to bad. It's very convenient after illuminations to aviod the long lines on the busses or boats. But if walking isn't your thing, the boats are quick too.

Spoodles is a great restaurant and we usually take a trip to the ESPN club each time we go for lunch.

The atmosphere is one of the best out of the hotels at disney. It's very energetic and fun. There are always a few Disney street performers to watch. Being on the water also makes it nice.

The games are abut 3$ i think... I think we only played one out of all the times we've been there. There's bigger and better things to do! haha

The pool is of coarse something you cannot miss with he kids. I loved it. The slide is very neat. I also like doing the wax hand dipping when we went (i was 8 lol). Its at one of the carts on the actual boardwalk.

larrybob
05-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Some of your answers are here:
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=132899

joelkfla
05-21-2008, 10:20 PM
If you're going there from Epcot, you'll need to exit through the International Gateway in World Showcase.

If you go out the Epcot main entrance, you'll be stuck outside the park with no easy way to get to the Boardwalk.

ParkMan
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
The Boardwalk has become one of our favorites.

The walk is not too far (5-10 minutes). In some ways this is one of the best attributes of the resort. We loved that we could just walk back to our hotel after fireworks at Epcot.

We also walked quite a few times to DHS. It's about a 15 minute walk. You can certainly do it faster on a boat, but if you're up for a walk, it's a nice stroll.

We ate at both Spoodles and the Flying Fish. They were both nice. I'd go back to either of them with no hesitations.

There is also a small bakery. Many mornings we'd get breakfast & coffee at the bakery & just walk to Epcot or DHS.

Capt. Sparrow
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
My DVC home base is the Boardwalk Villas so I am very familiar with the walk to Epcot and DHS. The walk to Epcot from the Boardwalk takes you over into the International Gateway that will put you in between England and France. However, I must worn you, depending on what time of year you visit can determine how dreadful or not this walk can be. I just got back from my May trip and this walk is no problem whatsoever this time of year. But, I have frequently visited in August and this walk feels like you are walking in the Sahara! It can get very hot, and walking on hot pavement can make you and your feet miserable.

The walk over to DHS is about a 15-20 walk but like the walk to Epcot, it can be very dreadful depending on the time of year that you visit. My advice to you if you are visiting in July or August, take the boat ride over. It stops at all of the Epcot resort area hotels as well as Epcots International Gateway entrance and DHS entrance.

A great place to eat would be the ESPN club on the Boardwalk. A ton of tv's broadcasting every game known to man, even in the bathrooms! If you like hot food, fry the dingers with the flame sauce. They are amazing and require a couple glasses of water, but hey I love hot food. Beaches and Cream over at the Beach Club is a great place for you and your family to visit for a great ice cream snack. Make sure to try the Kitchen Sink, but remember to only order this for the whole family!

Hope this helps!

Imagineer1981
05-29-2008, 12:38 PM
I personally think Boardwalk is much better for adults, kids get bored with it easily

pittsburgh12
06-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Spoodles is great!!!! We read some bad reviews about this place BUT we went anyway and it was terrific!!! Service was great and food great as well!!!! Get the brick oven 4 cheese pizza for an appetizer. Delicious!!!

Maleficent's Dad
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
how do you get there from Epcot?
From EPCOT, bear right before the bridge when leaving the UK heading towards France. That area is the International Gateway - it is an actual gate into/out of the park. After you exit, you can take the boat (first stop is the BW) or walk - Boardwalk is to the left at the bridge, you'll see the BC and YC to the right.

How long of a walk is it?
Once you leave the park, it's about 10 minutes to the center of the Boardwalk. 5 minutes to the ESPN Club.

Where do you like to eat there?
The best restaurant is the Flying Fish; it's a higher end, creative seafood place - very, very nice place to dine. You can also go to ESPN (typical sports' bar food), Spoodles (Mediterranean), or Big River Brewery (food and good beers). There is a snack cart or two, as well as a bakery and Seashore Sweets. You're also very close to the YC/BC restaurants.

What is the atmosphere like? What should we not miss with kids? Do the games cost money? If so, how much?
Fun, carnival type atmosphere in the evening. Free entertainment starts after 6 PM (best closer to 7 PM). There are free shows - magicians and jugglers - those types of things. My kids (9 and 7) love it - very often there is audience participation in these shows!
There are a few games - basketball shots, flip the frog onto the pads -type of thing. Just a small area with games that do require a few dollars each to play.

If not staying there, don't make a day of it; but it is a fun evening. There's some good evening adult entertainment at Jellyroll's and if you like to dance, Atlantic Dance Hall gets going at night.

TwoTinyWings
06-10-2008, 04:46 PM
We really like the Boardwalk, too. On a nice evening, it's great sitting outside at a place like Big River Grille, enjoying a meal and watching the world go by. You can usually catch a bit of some of the street performers' shows (magic, juggling, etc.) from your table, which is nice. If you're on the Boardwalk as late as 9pm (after a late dinner, perhaps?), you can see a bit of the fireworks from IllumiNations - always fun. The Boardwalk area is also a good place to rent a surrey bike - just not in the middle of a hot day, since the wide walkways can make everything heat up even more.

bruin1344
06-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Ive never stayed there but pretty visit there every trip, i enjoy the espn place and jellyrolls for nightlife, its a short walk from epcot, which i enjoy

JPooh
06-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Where do you park if you're going to the Boardwalk. Do you park at the resort or does the Boardwalk has its own parking? Is the parking time limited. Can we park an go to Epcot first and then have dinner and hang out on the Boardwalk?

Maleficent's Dad
06-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Where do you park if you're going to the Boardwalk. Do you park at the resort or does the Boardwalk has its own parking? Is the parking time limited. Can we park an go to Epcot first and then have dinner and hang out on the Boardwalk?
If you drive over to the Boardwalk (resort), you tell the guard at the gate that you're going up for dinner and to walk around. They'll direct you to the parking area - be prepared, it's a bit of a hike for the day parkers up to the Boardwalk proper. There is valet parking if you choose that option.

It is frowned upon to park at a resort and then head to the parks; however, in your situation, I don't think they'd mind if you plan on eating dinner in EPCOT and then heading back to the B'walk for a while. Although parking at the resorts is not allowed when using the theme parks, you are indeed, heading to the B'walk as well. Perhaps someone else could clarify this as I'm not sure what the "official policy" would be.

4MyLittlePrincesses
07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Can anyone share the quickest way to get there from POFQ using Disney transportation in the early evening? Can we get there by boat or even partway? Thanks!

Pigtunia
07-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Can anyone share the quickest way to get there from POFQ using Disney transportation in the early evening? Can we get there by boat or even partway? Thanks!

There's no direct method from POFQ (we've done it from POR, but it's unfortunately way easier by car). If you wish to still use the Disney transit, the simplest way is to go to DHS, then take a bus (or walk) from DHS. Going home, you'll have to go to Marketplace and transfer there.

Transit to Boardwalk is really the only problem with it. Have fun!:party: