PDA

View Full Version : Gift Help

Dakota Rose
05-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm looking for a travel-related gift. My FIL is going on an international vacation for the first time, and I'd like to get him something for the trip. He won't wear a fanny pack and has a travel clock already. I'm trying to keep the gift at $20-25, this can be one thing or a few smaller things. Any suggestions?

Flower
05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
:mickey:money belt as he won't wear a fanny pack

:mickey: a nice, masculine bag for his shaving kit & toiletries

:mickey:a carry-on bag containing a magazine or 2 in there, or crossword/sudoku puzzles, pen, chewing gum, disposable toothbrush & toothpaste for the long flight.

:mickey: Buy him a gift card prior to his trip for a bookstore so he can purchase some items for the flight.

:mickey:Travel/language books on his destination cities

Dakota Rose
05-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Cool ideas, Lee-Ann. :)

Keep 'em comin.... :)

MsMin
05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
What about a converter.. does he use any electrical items when traveling? Many countries don't have D/C but A/C current and you need a converter for your electronics to work properly.
How about a little address book w/ names of family and friends... Giving some $$ in that countries currency.

bucky at disney
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM
You could get one of those travel pouches that is on a lanyard - for him to keep his passport, money, etc. These are nice because he can tuck it inside his shirt - helps keep things safe.

Tick-Tock
05-21-2008, 10:33 AM
A small, fold-up laminated map of any cities that he will be going to (easy to stick in a pocket, doesn't get all messed up).

Money belt or pouch is a really great idea. It's the only way to keep valuables safe - carrying them in your pocket or backpack is asking to get them stolen.

Wallet-size language cards

Gorilla Pod (mini-tripod)

TSA-approved luggage locks

minnie-mouse
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Is he going somewhere they speak different launguage, maybe a dictionary/book that helps teaches the language.

--New sunglasses, can always use those in the summer
--new wallet, money clip
--camera bag -camera acessories, film, etc.
--new book or gift card to bookstore for reading on a the plane
--new hat for travelling
--small toiletry travel bag

Dakota Rose
05-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the great ideas! I'm gonna check out the nearest Barnes & Noble for the language cards and laminated maps. I found a travel wallet today (on clearance for $4) that has a chain to attach to your belt. And maybe some travel locks would be good.....I've been to Europe many times but he hasn't and I'm afraid of scaring him with too many "security" devices...but they're so necessary!!

Thanks for the ideas. I knew my intercot friends wouldn't let me down!

meldan98
05-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Hi Dakota,

I'm not sure if he is going to any major cities, but there is a map book that my husband found for NYC that he just loved. We have found them for other Major cities around the world. The are made out of hardend thick paper and they open up with a little paper map (kind of like a pop-up book in reverse), they usually have all the info about public transportation on them too. When it's folded it's a little larger than a 4x6 card so it would easily fit into a pocket. It will also keep him looking less like a tourist too because it is pretty indescrete.

DisneyDog
05-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I was thinking about those pop up things too. They are great! We had them for WDW and for D.C. as well. They are very helpful and easy to pack/carry around.

Dakota Rose
05-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Very cool! I'll see if B&N sells 'em. Thanks!