PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Disney?

Texas Tinkerbell Too
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I was wondering since many of you go to the world frequently. Do you get questioned like my family does everytime we plan another trip to WDW?

I think people just don't understand. They say, "Didn't you just go last year?" My co-workers ask me "Where are you going this year... let me guess...Disney World?"

We have started noticing a trend of yealy visits for our family. Do we have an addiction? Does anyone else get questioned or even criticized for going back so often?

Tinkerfreak
05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
I think most of us can agree we all get the same comments you do. My family hears this all the time. We live in Maine so it isn't like it is a short trip for us. People say how can you afford to go every year. The people who say this are usually the ones who have never been and I just say that I can not put a price on my families great memories. My mom said she had to admit she wondered the same thing, why we went every year, until she went with us for the first time and she then it all just clicked. She totally fell in love with Disney and totally understands why we want to go back year after year.
Instead of getting mad when people comment about it I just think to myself how sad I am for them that they do not get to experience the joy that my family does.

mitchsfan
05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I have been there 2 times in the last 1 1/2 years and I am planning my 3 rd trip .

My dad said that the next time I go to Disney World, he is going to get me a nice white coat and pad my walls for me:funny:

He doesn't understand the Disney magic.

KineGirl
05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
oh yes...

This type of thread is very popular around here. All of us have been subjected at some time or another (or some time AND another) to the various "dont you get tired of Disney?" comments. Meanwhile those ppl go to the same beaches, same cruises, etc...

They just dont "get it" :shake: and I say good! More WDW for me & you! As a matter of fact I think Im going to start telling ppl how awful WDW is (as if!) to deter the growing crowds LOL

BluewaterBrad
05-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I know what you are talking about. I never get criticized though, only puzzled looks and the usual "Again??? I can only imagine what people were saying about us last year. (we had 7 different visits with a total of 28 nights at a WDW resort) To be honest with you it never bothers me. I know and understand about the "Magic". I offshore fish a lot and get to spend a lot of time in the Florida Keys as well as the Bahama islands with friends who enjoy Disney, but dont understand or get "it". They try to bust my chops pretty hard about our excessive Disney needs ( esp. after a long day tournament fishing and too many:beer::beer:), but I take it all in stride. :mickey:

Taja
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
My BFF--who also is my travel buddy and has visited WDW three times with me--asked me about this after I visited a second time in 2003 (solo) and a year later in 2004 (solo).

We visited WDW in October 2006 for free dining (arrived last possible day 09/30) and she thoroughly enjoyed herself.

Less than a week after we returned home, she called and said...

"You know, now that we know our way around Disney so well, we should go in December and take DD and DGD!"

Never thought I would hear that from her! She lives near Disneyland, so WDW is "Disney" to her--Disneyland is home! :)

We booked for December 2006, then had to cancel two weeks out. All three of them came down with the flu that degenerated into nasty sinus infections. We made it in December, 2007, though! :)

Septbride2002
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I hear it a lot - or I get, "I bet I know where you're going!" But most of these people take multiple cruises or trips to Vegas, or trips to the lake. The lake is a big thing here - a lot of people questioned why we bought into DVC to which I reply - Hows the Lake house?

~Amanda

OhToodles!
05-20-2008, 04:59 PM
The lake is a big thing here - a lot of people questioned why we bought into DVC to which I reply - Hows the Lake house?

I agree 100% with this as I'm from MO too! I do go to the lake every year, but it's in November - and only for shopping. I don't get why those people would want to go to a lake every weekend in the summer where everyone else is too! But I guess we go to WDW every year and people think the same about us. I'm happy to say we've just joined DVC too and cannot wait to go on many more Disney vacations. We've already picked out dates for the next 3 trips. I'll have to remember that reply when I'm asked about going to Disney again.

Seems we have a lot in common. Where do you live in MO?

laprana
05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
I get those comments all the time, mostly from coworkers, but especially from my dad and stepmom. Every time I tell them that I'm planning my yearly WDW vacation, they both just roll their eyes and say, "Don't you EVER want to go anywhere else?" I just smile and say, "Nope!" What's really funny, though, is that they take the exact same vacation every year to the Virgin Islands - same island, same resort, they even book the same room year after year! So, I always politely remind them that they don't have much room to talk! :D

Gator
05-20-2008, 08:57 PM
I often reply to poeple like that, "Hey, haven't you been fishing already this year?" or "Are you STILL paying on that Escalade?" or "Aren't you tired of playing video games?"

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-20-2008, 10:21 PM
We hear it each and every trip.:rolleyes:

People don't understand it and I have given up trying to explain it.

Friend of Figment
05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
I travel a lot and often to places folks consider exotic (Dubai, SE Asia, Argentina etc). When folks hear I also go to DW at least once a year, they don't understand the connection.

I always explain that DW is my "vacation". One week a year with no reality. The other is "travel" which I love but is an intense activity.

katzctkpt
05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
I agree with all the other post. It really gets tiresome to answer those who question why we go. They'll never understand until they've been. The big question is how can you afford to go every year? Income tax that's how !!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
05-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Hear it from firends? I get it from my husband... who just does not see the need to go every year... So we made an agreement. He goes every other year, and if I want to take the kids on the opposite year with my Mom or Sister... I get to. It works out great for us actually ... He gets to stay home and catch up on some sleep... and do house projects... and I get to play with my kids in the World... and come home to a clean house. Some people think it is wierd that I would EVER vacation without him... but we are both happy with it... and he will go every other year... So... it works!

Hayden's Dad
05-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Oh yes we hear this a lot. It has gotten to the point we don't tell our parents we are going until the very last minute, a week or a couple of days before we go. The biggest argument I get is "what does you job think of this" or "you aren't going to loose your job for taking another trip are you?'

NO I AM NOT GOING TO LOOSE MY JOB FOR TAKING MY FAMILY TO WDW!! IT IS MY VACATION TIME AND I EARNED IT AND WE WILL GO TO THE PLACE THAT MAKES US THE HAPPIEST!!

Whew that feels better thank you so much for giving me this opportunity to vent.

Stich8818
05-21-2008, 12:09 PM
I never had the chance to go when I was a kid. My folks just did not have the money...So as it says on my signature my first trip was when I turned 30, so I have a lot of time to make up. But yeah we tell my family about it and they are like.."why?" Im like.."why not?" But everyone is right they jsut dont get it. DW and I have been trying to talk the in-laws to going but they are all about the beach and not going DIsney...Im like until you go now ( the last time the went was like 20yrs ago) you cannot make any comments..you enjoy the beach..I will enjoy the magic....and taking that ride on Everest!

prprincess
05-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I get it each and everytime we go. It does get annoying, but I live in New Jersey where everyone goes to the shore every single weekend in the summer...something I personally don't get because I find it boring. So I pretty much counter it with that, and ask them why they go down the shore so much. That usually keeps them quiet. ;)

AHOTE
05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I used to get that question all the time but for the most part it's stopped. Now I have friends, friends of friends, family and Uncle Mickey's neighbors neighbor asking me to help them with their vacation plans to WDW or they're looking information on an upcoming trip they have already booked. I even had my boss ask me to set up a vacation that was to be given away as a bonus to the company employee of the year. Alas I wasn't eligible to win. It's amazing how the tides change. Thankfully I have a lot of help, I give them the :rocks: web address.

Tink#64
05-22-2008, 11:59 PM
I agree with all the other post. It really gets tiresome to answer those who question why we go. They'll never understand until they've been. The big question is how can you afford to go every year? Income tax that's how !!

:ditto: I hear it from coworkers every trip & from alot of friends. I get tired of defending my families preferences & our finances. I save prior to our trips & we use our tax refund! That's like our vacation savings account! It's annoying, some of these people go to the same beach every summer. Some of them spend alot more money than we do year round, new cars every few years, eating out at nice places every weekend & shop like mad & then say how they could never afford to take a trip like that & couldn't justify spending all that for vacation! I guess I still don't understand how so many people can be so rude as to question someone else's vacation choice! Why do they think that we care what they think of our choices? I look at some of these people & I'm rendered speechless, you can't explain it all to them. It's kind of sad that they do not get to experience all of the joy and magic at WDW! :mickey:

KineGirl
05-23-2008, 12:18 AM
You know I think all those ppl who come to the same beach all the time are silly anyways-

Why dont they just move there? Ive always lived where others vacation. Funny thing is though - there are plenty of ppl who live at the beach who still take a week off and go stay in some beach house 2 towns over LOL :confused: We take our beach trips on the weekends but with it literally right there :nudge: it def makes where to take our real vacays an easier decision. :mickey:

xipetotec
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I was wondering since many of you go to the world frequently. Do you get questioned like my family does everytime we plan another trip to WDW?

I think people just don't understand. They say, "Didn't you just go last year?" My co-workers ask me "Where are you going this year... let me guess...Disney World?"

We have started noticing a trend of yealy visits for our family. Do we have an addiction? Does anyone else get questioned or even criticized for going back so often?

all the time. But I think the people around me are used to it now. Now they'll just ask "So when's the next time?" :) ...

What's ironic is that my parents are the ones who own the DVC, and DW and I are the ones who are obsessed and they don't get it haha. :number1:

DisneyCouture
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
I hear that constantly from everyone but my mother. She lives 25 minutes from WDW, she knows that everytime we plan a trip that we will be swinging by to visit. :) I hear from ppl all the time "are you going there again, aren't u sick of it you go all the time." I have traveled to other places before. I just like going there the most. It makes me happy. My friends go to ski houses in VT to go skiing every year. You don't hear me saying to them "are you going skiing again?":rolleyes:

Yes everyone around me thinks that Ihave a Disney addiction and that I need help. :mickey:

cal5755
05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Mom and I get it from our co workers A LOT lol. We don't take offense though we just laugh. I actually have a customer who comes in and as I hand him the menu he will say "so how many days now?" I oblige with the correct countdown number til we take the next trip.... today it would be 111 days and 18 hours. He will roll his eyes and say.. dosn't it get old? ummm NEVER!!

mickey&missy
05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
People don't understand it and I have given up trying to explain it.

:thumbsup:

There are people who just don't get it and never will. Too bad for them! More disney for us to enjoy!

Gastonsgirl
05-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I go to WDW every 3 months usually, yeah I have an addiction. No one really criticizes me of it except maybe my aunt because she kinda complains how silly me and my family are for going all the time

GrmGrninGost
05-24-2008, 08:43 AM
I do run into a lot of co-workers who think I'm nuts for visiting WDW as often as I do! I just smile and tell them it's what we enjoy doing! We often plan other vacations, then look at the cost, and say " we could go to WDW for that!" Usually that's exactly what we do! Once we were on our way to Williamsburg, VA. When we got near I-81 my DW said "if we go south we can go to WDW." I did! She called and made reservations at POP while we were driving. That was a great trip!
Let people think what they will! It's what you think that counts! If WDW is what you enjoy, why let other people talk you into doing something else? Life is short! Enjoy it! :mickey:

pink
05-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I also hear the "why are you going to Disney again" but more times than not people tell me how jealous they're that I get to go and they have to stay at home. I've been pretty lucky into not running into too many Disney downers. However, there are some who tell me I'm too old to actually enjoy WDW and they tell me only kids have fun there. :mickey: