PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness (The Hidden Gem?)

MrPeetrie
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
After watching some of the new stuff on the Travel Channel, I am considering staying in one of the log cabins in Fort Wilderness, instead of a more traditional Disney resort. It seems, there is SOOOO much to do here, it's probably a great bargain -- even for non-campers like us. So, since this is my 500th post (yeah!), I thought I'd put a little poll together.

Is Fort Wilderness a great value? Or not? Please, tell me what you think. And if you think non-campers like us will enjoy staying there. (My DD5 is dying to have a "camp out.")
Thanks!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
I didn't get my poll posted in time!!! Darn!
:confused:

medic9016
05-20-2008, 03:48 PM
The Fort is great.:secret: We will be there in a few weeks for the 1st of 3 trips over the next 7 months in our own travel trailer. The first time we went 3 years ago, I thought there was not much to do. Was I wrong. There is a lot to do at the Fort. We have never stayed a the cabins, can't help you there.

Your DD will probably like the campfire with Chip and Dale and the outdoor movie at no extra cost besides a smores kit if you like. There is also horse back riding, hay rides, carraige rides, Segway tour, Hoop De Do music review, and Mickeys back yard BBQ. Several campers decorate their sites, you could rent a golf cart and goo see campsite decoations.

TammiMcMan
05-20-2008, 03:53 PM
We've done camping and the cabins inside Fort Wilderness. I totally agree that it is a hidden gem. The cabins are climate controlled and they come with full housekeeping, so there is no chance you are roughing it. The decor and location though, keep up the theme of the great outdoors, so it's fun for both parents and kids.

The only thing that I've heard as a con for FW is the lack of theme pools. You get concrete rectangles filled with water. On the plus side, you have the beach, playgrounds, boats, bikes, fishing, campfires, sing-a-longs, movies, hayrides, horses, petting farm and my favorite, the Trailside Buffet.

playdead88
05-20-2008, 04:08 PM
we just stayed at WL and went over to ft wilderness for pony rides and to eat bfast one a.m - i think staying at ft wilderness would be great the only downsides i saw were the pools

mackeymouse
05-20-2008, 04:55 PM
We love camping at Fort Wilderness. We've been twice and visited once (sister camped). Make sure you ask for certain loops unless you want to rent a golf cart (which is part of the fun!). Loops 1, 2, or 4 are great if you want to get to the boat launch to MK quickly and easily walking.

Its a huge place and the inter bus system can seem to take forever. But if you have your bikes and/or rent a golf cart you'll be fine. Our DD6 loves it!

If you do rent a cart decorate it!! That was fun to see.

Jimenyfan
05-20-2008, 05:07 PM
We just booked our Fort Wilderness vacation today. We have stayed in the cabins before, and aside from the frog that got in out toilet, we had a wonderful peaceful stay. We rented a golf cart and it was the perfect way to get around.

TheMartellFamily
05-20-2008, 05:47 PM
It is more like a small house to stay in rather than a hotel room. It is truely a home away from home with the cabin feel. It is in it's own free standing building so it much quieter than being at a hotel. It truely is a great, great place to stay. There is alot to do and there is a bus system to take you anywhere you want to go within the WDW complex. The full kitchen can help you make meals in house if needed too. I can not stress it enough it is great.

1DisneyNut
05-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Fort Wilderness is great. We have stayed there several times. The only complaint we have about the cabins (which are actually mobile home trailers with faux log siding) is the fact there is only one bath room. Considering six people can stay in a cabin (we often have a total of six counting the kids and a friend) having only one bath room can slow you down getting ready to go in the morning. We also feel they are a little over priced with rates up around $289 to $329 a night. The pools are bland but that doesn't really bother us much. I don't go to WDW and spend thousands to play in a pool when I can do that at home. With all of that said we actually love Fort Wilderness itself. There is plenty to do there.

SFTrny
05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
If you like the idea of a room that can handle four people comfortably and still have a kitchen, the FW is definitely the place. Lots of open space...a quiet escape from the rest of the busy park areas. There is a different atmosphere at FW. As an example...

I recently stayed at POR for business and noticed an immediately difference. While POR is beautiful on the outside, the room interiors are not any better than a motel. The resort common areas are busy and you can hear the neighbors. During the dining hours, you can smell the grease from the huge kitchens.

At FW, your neighbors are 40 feet away...unless you count the rabbits and occasional armadillo. People walk, jog, and ride bikes. Kids play games in the streets. The Fort is much more relaxed and the ambient smells include good old-fashioned charcoal campfires for family cookouts...no deep fat friers!

drummerboy
05-20-2008, 09:38 PM
DW and i have stayed at FW in various sorts of tents, a pop-up, travel trailer and motor home since our honeymoon in 1976. Need I say more? :thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
05-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Fort Wilderness is great. We have stayed there several times. The only complaint we have about the cabins (which are actually mobile home trailers with faux log siding) ...

This sure takes the lustre off them a bit. (BOLD added.)

TammiMcMan
05-23-2008, 10:27 PM
There's a picture of the wilderness cabin here, along with the floorplan http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/fortwilderness/default.asp . My parents owned a vacation mobile home trailer, it was pretty nice, but no where near as nice as the FW cabin.

Edited to add... I'm going to send you some interior pictures.

TheRustyScupper
05-24-2008, 12:23 AM
1) Too many people think of FW as just another WDW resort.
2) In fact, it is a real campground.
3) It has all the amenities one would expect from an upscale remote campground.
. . . pools
. . . playgrounds
. . . reasonably priced eateries
. . . canoes
. . . games
. . . nightly campfire get-together
. . . biking and hiking paths
. . . nature trails
. . . lake views (although no lake swimming)
. . . boat rentals
. . . CAMARADERIE AMONG GUESTS