PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sit-com's of all time

julyjewel
05-20-2008, 10:40 AM
What is your favorite sit-com(s)? I like growing up with Roseanne. No skinny people and it showed how people face financial hardship. That and it was just funny. The last season kind of got strange. I also liked The Cosby SHow. The kids were disciplined in that house. I love Bill Cosby's persepctive on raising kids! :mickey:

SBETigg
05-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I was a big fan of the Partridge Family and the Brady Bunch when I was a kid and I still love them. I thought Bosom Buddies with a young Tom Hanks was hilarious. My favorite, though, is a toss up between Friends and Seinfeld, with Seinfeld edging out Friends by a nudge.

DisneyDog
05-20-2008, 10:56 AM
Friends is definitely my all-time favorite. I really haven't watched much tv since it went off the air. Nothing measures up anymore.

RAIDER
05-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Married with Children was in a class of its own :thumbsup:

Hail Al Bundy :bow::bow:

Ian
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I'll just give my top ten list:
Seinfeld
M*A*S*H (although I hestitate to call this a "sit-com" ... it was really a dramedy)
All in the Family
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Odd Couple
The Wonder Years
The Simpsons
Family Ties
Cheers
Get Smart

ChipnDaleGal
05-20-2008, 11:42 AM
I have several that I can watch over and over, like King of Queens, How I met Your Mother, and Friends. But I think my all time favorite is Scrubs. I think the entire cast is very talented and the writing is so smart and funny and sweet.

ShelbyAD
05-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Hmmmm, I just realized that I don't watch much Sitcoms. I watch the 1 hour shows. Don't think those count as Sitcoms.

I did like:

Home Improvement
Friends
Facts of Life
Cosby Show
Til' Death (currently on)

Jeff G
05-20-2008, 01:08 PM
My all time favorite is Sienfeld, it's been off the air ten years and yet I still stop every time it's on.

My top ten:

1. Seinfeld
2. The Wonder Years
3. Cheers
4. Happy Days
5. Get Smart
6. Family Ties
7. Growing Pains
8. Bewitched
9. Night Court
10. Leave it to Beaver/Gilligan's Island/The Brady Bunch (these three were an after school staple when I was growing up)

Scar
05-20-2008, 01:13 PM
In my opinion, it isn't even debateable.

1. M*A*S*H
2. Seinfeld
3. Cheers
4. All in the Family
5. The Honeymooners

#6 through the rest can't compare.

threeh
05-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Another vote for MASH!!!:thumbsup:

letsdoitagain
05-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Here's my top 5:

1. All in the family
2. The Jeffersons
3. The Cosby Show
4. Roseanne
5. Home Improvement

2Epcot
05-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Ian's list is very similar to mine ....

I listed my favorites, but didn't really rank them.

All Time - Favorite Sitcoms:
Seinfeld
Cheers
The Simpsons
Fraiser
The 70's Show
Cosby Show

Favorite - Comedy/Dramedy
Mash
Ally McBeal
The Wonder Years

Older Favorites:
(All watched while growing up - Don't watch Nick or TV Land)

Married with Children
Family Ties
Three's Company
Bob Newhart Show
Mary Tyler Moore
Happy Days
The Odd Couple
Lavern & Shirley
Partridge Family
Brady Bunch
All in the Family
The Jeffersons
Good Times
Gomer Pyle
I Dream of Jeannie
Gilligans Island
I Love Lucy

Currently running favorites:
Two & Half Men
Big Bang Theory

Dopey's Girl
05-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Friends, Friends, Friends. It is now, and always will be my favorite. All these years later, I can still quote most of the episodes. Love it, Love it, Love it!

Ian
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
All Time - Favorite Sitcoms:
The 70's Show

Older Favorites:

Three's Company
Bob Newhart Show
Mary Tyler Moore
Happy Days
Laverne & Shirley
Partridge Family
Brady Bunch
Gomer Pyle
I Dream of Jeannie
Gilligans IslandAny one of these shows really could have made my list, as well. I watched them all religiously while growing up, in addition to others like McHale's Navy, Hogan's Heroes, etc.

My top ten:

1. Seinfeld
2. The Wonder Years
3. Cheers
4. Happy Days
5. Get Smart
6. Family Ties
7. Growing Pains
8. Bewitched
9. Night Court
10. Leave it to Beaver/Gilligan's Island/The Brady Bunch (these three were an after school staple when I was growing up):doh:

How could I have forgotten Wonder Years??? That's one of my favorite shows of all time!

Love the Super Cooper! :cool:

SBETigg
05-20-2008, 03:23 PM
How could I have forgotten Wonder Years??? That's one of my favorite shows of all time!

:cool:

I was thinking the same thing. That was a great show. I think David Schwimmer was the older sister's boyfriend.

KineGirl
05-20-2008, 03:37 PM
I like alot of sitcoms but hands down is Seinfeld IMO :notworth: It was so relatable! We all know Georges, Elaines, Jerrys, Kramers and even Newmans. yada yada yada... the show was over and I still love the reruns

I almost hate to admit it being an educated woman in my mid 30s but I LOVE Aqua Teen Hunger Force :blush:

My name is Shakezula! the mike rula! you wanna trip? Ill bring it to ya!

Marker
05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm glad this didn't ask me to pick one absolute favorite, I wouldn't be able to. But here, in no particular order, are some of my favorite sitcoms from my younger days....

I Love Lucy
The Andy Griffith Show
WKRP In Cincinnati
Cheers
Beverly Hillbillies
The Real McCoys
Leave It To Beaver
The Honeymooners
The Addams Family
F-Troop
I Dream Of Jeannie

Jasper
05-20-2008, 05:37 PM
My top three are
All in the Family
I Love Lucy
Family Guy (Not sure if animated counts or not)

From there it is quite a toss up but a couple of the really older ones that were just going off the air as I was growing up that were great were the George Burns/Gracy Allen Show and Andy Griffith.

Another show that I ABSOLUTELY loved but doesn't really qualify as a sit-com was the Carol Burnett show!

kaerbear178
05-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Here are mine (in no order)

The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Wonder Years
Friends
How I Met Your Mother
Mary Tyler Moore
Growing Pains
Everybody Loves Raymond

Ian
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
A couple more for consideration ...

Kate & Allie
Moonlighting

Also ... Dick Van Dyke needs to be on my list, too. I have to redo it again ...

2Epcot
05-20-2008, 06:54 PM
A couple more for consideration ...

Kate & Allie
Moonlighting

Also ... Dick Van Dyke needs to be on my list, too. I have to redo it again ...

I enjoyed Moonlighting as well. When I was in elementary school we lived right next door to the school so I would come home for lunch all the time and watch Dick Van Dyke while I was eating lunch.

julyjewel
05-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I love Mama's Family too!!

elmjimmlm
05-20-2008, 09:40 PM
1.Frasier
2.Cheers
3. Wings
4. Seinfeld
5. Will and Grace
6. Friends
7. Mad About You
8. Cosby Show
9. Facts of Life
10.I Love Lucy

ChipDale2708
05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
There are so many favorites, but M*A*S*H is the show I can watch over and over again. I still cry at the end of "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen." :sob:

AlliMo
05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Here are a few of my all-time favorites:
1- Golden Girls
2- Family Ties
3- Brady Bunch
4- Cheers
5- Facts of Life
not in my top five but anyone remember My Two Dads??? I loved that show as a kid.

NJGIRL
05-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Seinfeld is my all time favorite with Everybody Loves Raymond in second place.

I can see the same show over and over again and still laugh at them.

JanetMegan
05-21-2008, 04:22 PM
I loved Rags to Riches and Blossom ;)

PirateLover
05-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I Love Lucy :D

Some other faves are Sanford and Son, All in The Family, Frasier, Seinfeld, Taxi, Mary Tyler Moore, Three's Company, Full House, The Monkees, Get Smart, Gilligan's Island, Saved By The Bell to name a few. I'm only 22 so I grew up watching Nick at Nite... Full House and Family Matters are a few of the only shows I remember watching "live." Didn't get into Seinfeld until the end of the original run.

I also love animated sitcoms... The Simpsons, South Park, King of the Hill, and Family Guy

murphy1
05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I loved Murphy Brown! I was a journalism student too, and wanted to be her!
Loved Moonlighting also the other shows y'all mentioned like Facts of Life, Gilligan, Three's Company.
Oh, too funny, my daughter's kindergarten asst. was on the Benny Hill show! My sister and I used to watch that and it went over our heads as we stupidly laughed at it.

Emily
05-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I almost hate to admit it being an educated woman in my mid 30s but I LOVE Aqua Teen Hunger Force :blush:

My name is Shakezula! the mike rula! you wanna trip? Ill bring it to ya!

I got your back. ;) I love ATHF! :D Carl is the best! (And I'm 35 so if there's shame in loving ATHF, I'm right there with ya!)

Another show that I ABSOLUTELY loved but doesn't really qualify as a sit-com was the Carol Burnett show!

I'd have to agree with you on that one, too, Jasper. I remember watching that with my parents as a kid and BOTH my parents would be sitting there with tears streaming down their faces! (as would I) That show was a riot.

My faves have pretty much all been listed. Seinfeld pretty much tops the list, but I love Friends, Cheers, Night Court, MASH, Scrubs, The Simpsons, Family Guy, etc., way too many to list. Right now, though I know many will disagree and it's certainly an acquired taste, I have to say that I think South Park is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Trey Parker and Matt Stone are geniuses, IMO. I can't help it, crude or not, I laugh my hind quarters off when I watch South Park! :funny:

PirateLover
05-21-2008, 08:46 PM
I got your back. ;) I love ATHF! :D Carl is the best! (And I'm 35 so if there's shame in loving ATHF, I'm right there with ya!)

Oh gosh, I guess I skimmed over too quickly and missed the original post about this. I LOVE Aqua Teen Hunger Force... #1 in the hood, G. Now Gimme some candy!!! :cool:

prprincess
05-21-2008, 09:18 PM
I LOVE:

Seinfeld
The Brady Bunch
Three's Company
The Jeffersons
Golden Girls

And I can't not mention The Family Guy, even though it's animated. I've been watching that like crazy lately!

Ian
05-21-2008, 09:43 PM
There are so many favorites, but M*A*S*H is the show I can watch over and over again. I still cry at the end of "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen." :sob:Funny you should mention that episode, because it was just on T.V. Land this weekend.

Watching it, I can't help but to be struck by what a powerful range of emotions it elicits. Horror, joy, sadness ... intense highs and lows all in the span of 90 minutes.

If you were a true fan, though, I can't see how you could possibly not cry at the end. When Hawk and Beej say goodbye to each other ... that's probably the single biggest tearjerker moment in T.V. history!

Melanie
05-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Without a doubt, Seinfeld is my favorite of all time. We own all the DVDs, and we watch specific episodes as the mood strikes us. It also airs here every night at 10pm, and I rarely miss it. Last night was man hands/bizarro Jerry world. :funny:

The only other comedy (dramedy) I own is Sex & the City. Love that series!

murphy1
05-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I miss Seinfeld, too bad they all haven't done too much since, other than Jerry and George's dad. I thought of The Jeffersons, I loved that show! We were watching All in the Family on TV Land the other day and there is no way they could have that one on now! Eight is Enough, Rhoda or Mork & Mindy nanu nanu. I heard the little kid from Family Ties got arrested a few years ago. I still sometimes watch Frasier reruns, you have to laugh at Niles and Frasier.

TheMartellFamily
05-22-2008, 08:57 AM
One show that can start me to laugh just thinking about it, is the Carol Burnnett show. There are so many other great ones that I will name afew. Roseanne, Reba, Cosby show, and Funniest home video are all great to sit and watch. The last one to mention is Saturday Night Live. Some years are better than others but over all a great show.

Scar
05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
If you were a true fan, though, I can't see how you could possibly not cry at the end. When Hawk and Beej say goodbye to each other ... that's probably the single biggest tearjerker moment in T.V. history!I think an even bigger one was the episode when Radar walks into the O.R. and announces Henry's death. I've seen it a hundred times and still get choked up each time.

-------------------------------------------

This thread reminds me of the Saturday Night line-up CBS had in the mid '70s.

8:00 All in the Family
8:30 M*A*S*H
9:00 Mary Tyler Moore
9:30 The Bob Newhart Show
10:00 The Carol Burnett Show

Awsome

WDWFREAK101
05-25-2008, 10:29 AM
I think my all time favorites have to be.......
1.Spin City
2. The Drew Carrey Show
3. Whose Line Is It Anyway? (I don't know if that is really a sit-com but I think it is hilarious)
4. The Soup (Again, not really a sit-com but still a funny, funny show)
5. Leave it to Beaver

PirateLover
05-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Curb Your Enthusiasm!!!

alphamommy
05-26-2008, 02:32 AM
In no particular order:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - this show taught me that I could be anything I wanted to be.
Friends - very quotable, especially the second season.
Frasier - we discovered this late in its run, but it's fabulous.
Cheers - I wish this was in reruns somewhere.
I Love Lucy - Vitameatavegamin, anyone?
Newhart - LOVED the finale!
The Bob Newhart Show - "Hi, Bob!"
The Dick Van Dyke Show - I still laugh when he trips on the ottoman.
Whose Line is it Anyway and Carol Burnett - not really sitcoms, but still some of the funniest TV ever made!

I must admit that I never got into Seinfeld. I tried watching it a few times, but just didn't enjoy it. I realize that DH and I are in the minority on this. The only episode I remember even being marginally funny was when they were lost in the mall parking structure.

murphy1
05-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Tammy, Cheers is on somewhere all the time in reruns, I think it might be TVLand. I'm sure if you google it, you will find it.

jennbunn
06-09-2008, 01:45 AM
my fav shows would have to be
the simpsons
friends
roseanne
king of the hill
brady bunch
golden girls
full house
family ties
growing pains
south park

Ian
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I think an even bigger one was the episode when Radar walks into the O.R. and announces Henry's death. I've seen it a hundred times and still get choked up each time.Yeah, that's a good one ... Lt. Colonel Henry Blake's plane .... was shot down .... over the sea of Japan. It spun in ......... there were no survivors.

The best part about the episode was the reactions from the cast. None of them had any advance warning it was going to happen. Larry Gelbart gave them the extra script after they thought the episode was in the can. They had virtually no time to absorb it before they had to go in to the "O.R." and shoot.

Gelbart says that's the main reason that the emotions in the scene are so real and so raw.

Diznee4Me
06-09-2008, 09:23 AM
So many great one have been mentioned - MASH, I Love Lucy, Simpsons, but for me the greatest Sit/Com, focusing on the comedy was the Beverely Hillbillies.

Still funny after all of these years. The Clampetts were never made to be bumpkins and the city folks were always the butt of the joke. Great writing and still hilarious.

You have to laugh when the gorilla throws Granny through the front door of the mansion! :D

MickeyandTink
06-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I must admit that I never got into Seinfeld. I tried watching it a few times, but just didn't enjoy it. I realize that DH and I are in the minority on this.

I could not understand what all the fuss about Seinfeld was until watching it one night with some friends. It is now my all-time favorite.

The only episode I remember even being marginally funny was when they were lost in the mall parking structure.

:rotfl:
I thought about this episode a couple of weeks ago when I was trying to find my car in a very large parking garage I had never been in before. Finally found it after about 15 minutes on the third trip up the stairs.

dolphinmickey9170
06-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Happy Days
Laverne and Shirley
M*A*S*H
Whose the Boss?
Different Strokes
The Jeffersons
All in the Family
Brady Bunch
Gilligan's Island
One Day at a Time
Joanie Loves Chachi

ncscgirl2005
06-10-2008, 01:05 AM
In no particular order:

Sanford & Son
The Cosby Show
A Different World (still get choked up when Whitley and Dwayne get married)
Good Times
Martin
Home Improvements
The Jamie Foxx Show
Roseann
The Jeffersons
Golden Girls
Married with Children
The Fresh Prince of Bel-air-still watch this one
Will & Grace
Mama's Family

SpecJoe Magic
06-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I agree with many of the sitcoms that have already been listed (Dick Van Dyke Show being my favorite), but I want to give a shout out to Wings, which I believe is one of the most underrated and overlooked sitcoms in television history. I'm currently enthralled with Big Bang Theory, and I'm happy that it has been picked up for its second season.

Boojum
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
1. "I Love Lucy"

2. "The Andy Griffith Show"

3. "The Wonder Years"

4. "The Cosby Show"

5. "Wings" (I know, this one isn't in the same class as the 4 mentioned above, but I always loved it. I thought the Hackett brothers were cute!)

caryrae
06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
Didn't anyone like the show "Alf"

My favorites are Everybody loves Raymond, The Office, and Roseanne (really love the 2 part WDW episode). I have to admit I still watch Full House in the afternoon, I like the first few seasons better then towards the end when the kids where grown up.

Advnt05
06-12-2008, 09:28 AM
I'll throw in my 1.5 cents worth:

1) MASH
2) Seinfeld
3) Sanford and Son- Still to this day love the interaction with Aunt Esther
4) Leave it to Beaver
5) Hazel- I would have strangled that woman a long time ago. Why didn't he fire her?

tinkwest
06-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Andy Griffith Show
Dick Van Dyke Show
I Love Lucy
Leave It To Beaver
Keeping Up Appearances

Jeff G
06-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Newhart - LOVED the finale!

The Newhart finale is my all time favorite, I love it when he wakes up in the bedroom and the entire show was a dream from The Bob Newhart Show. Very clever and creative.

RedSoxFan
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Friends is my all time favorite. DH's favorite is Seinfeld. And the kids are obsessed with The Fresh Prince.

AdventurerKim
06-14-2008, 09:28 AM
The Newhart finale is my all time favorite, I love it when he wakes up in the bedroom and the entire show was a dream from The Bob Newhart Show. Very clever and creative.

That was the best season finale of a show ever! I loved Newhart and especially that last episode! I also love and miss Night Court, Cheers, Moonlighting, Family Ties, Growing Pains, and Cosby Show. I catch those in reruns when I can or rent the DVD's.

DNS
06-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Honestly, I could not just name one. There are so many.

1) Get Smart
2) Green Acres
3) Soap
4) I Love Lucy
5) Frasier
6) Golden Girls
7) The Nanny (with Fran Drescher)
8) Burns and Allen
9) Cheers
10) Ozzie and Harriet

I grew up in the 60's/70's, but I love a lot of the 50's and early 60's.

TigChatt
06-16-2008, 10:31 AM
My favs

1. Quantum Leap(2 words-Scott Bakula)

2. Will & Grace

3. Friends

J9
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM
What is your favorite sit-com(s)?

Off-the-air:

-Facts of Life - I always thought it would be cool to go to a boarding school because of it!

-Out of this World - I think that's what it was called. There was a girl named Evie who's dad was an alien. She could freeze time. I always watched this with my dad down the shore. The theme song was the best thing ever.

-Friends - We had Thursday night Friends party in our apartment at college. We threw a HUGE bash for the last episode!

-Brady Bunch - I was such a dork. In 7th grade I used to make up Brady Bunch quizzes for my friends. I was the only one who could ever pass them. I had my VCR set to tape it every day after school. Eventually I had the whole series on like 10 tapes. They have all now been taped over, though!

-Petticoat Junction - I love love LOVE this show! It's so sad that its never on anymore!

-Growing Pains - I had such a crush on the orphan kid they adopted. Imagine my surprise like 8 years later when I have a crush on Leonardo in Titanic and come to realize IT'S THE SAME PERSON!!!

Today:

Ugly Betty, Lost, and Heroes - I don't know if these qualify as sitcoms (well, at least I doubt Lost or Heroes qualify), but I love them both!!!

How I Met Your Mother - this is just a very original, very funny show. I am in love with Neil Patrick Harris. He is the best character on the whole show! I just want to know when the heck Ted meets the mother already, and who is it?!?!

The Big Bang Theory - It's like watching my friends from high school, all grown up!

Pushing Daisies - I also like this show, but have to form a better opinion of it once they are able to give us a whole season

The Office - I want to work at Dunder Mifflin

J9
06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Didn't anyone like the show "Alf"

YES! I have the theme song as a ringtone on my cell. I used to love how he always wanted to eat the cat! (Weren't cats like a delicacy on Melmac or something?!)

The Reservoir Dog
06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Here are a few in no particular order.

MASH

Coupling

Frasier

Married With Children

Everybody Loves Raymond

Drop The Dead Donkey

Only Fools & Horses

Men Behaving Badly

WEDTOPIA
06-16-2008, 08:23 PM
My idea of a good sitcom as a kid is vastly different from my idea of a good sitcom as an adult. I watched all the classics to death in my early years.

However , if you want to talk about what makes me truly laugh out loud , I have a short list of my favorites.

Seinfeld
Everybody Loves Raymond
The King of Queens
Taxi
The Simpsons
Monty Python's Flying Circus ( not a sitcom , but more often than not , a gutbuster )

:mickey:

disneycutie165
06-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Home Improvement
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Saved By the Bell
Yes, Dear

All time favorites!!!!!!!:D

Disneyexpert15
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
My favorites are Friends and Happy Days!!!!!