PDA

View Full Version : Airfare: Does Anyone Book One Way Each Way?

merlinmagic4
05-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Hello :mickey:

I'm wondering if anyone has booked their flight out as a one way and then their flight back as a one way?

We are going during a vacation week and I am still trying to beat the system and get a good deal! I am wondering if I book the flight out as soon as it is released and then the flight back as soon as that day is released if I can get a better price. We are looking at a major airline who releases 331 days out. I have watched the price for Feb. vacation of 2008 go from 250.00 to over 700.00 RT in just a week or so.

Is there any reason why I should NOT do this?

KylesMom
05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
While you could do this, you may be setting yourself up for extra security checks at the airport. I schedule airline travel for 15 people, and whenever I book "one-ways" (different carrier, schedule change, etc) it seems that these folks get chosen for the extra security wanding and such. Not a super-big deal without young children, but if you are traveling with kids you might want to think twice about doing this.

mrp4352
05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
You might also check the policy of the airline you want to book with regarding refunds of fare differences. I know that Southwest will give you travel vouchers for the difference in airfare if the fare goes down before your trip and you call and ask for the refund. I'm not sure who else offers such a service, but it might be worth looking into!

BethieTink
05-19-2008, 03:17 PM
We do this all the time, depending on time and cost. I just did it for our upcoming trip from Boston to Orlando in January.

Delta had a much earlier time flying down on Friday morning for only $124 and Jet Blue was a better time for us coming back and only $114.

Each airline still has you in their system and they don't treat you any differently than if you had a round trip. If the schedule changes, you will still get an email notifying you.

As far as security goes, they never know if you are flying one way or round trip or on the same airline. They just look at the current boarding pass. Everyone going through security is a one way trip to them.

Go for it. It works well for us.

scootch713
05-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I too do it all the time.. we usually fly different carriers down and back as we like different flight times. No problems....

gauvin4
05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
I have done this a few times myself and have never had any issues.

disneyfankev
05-19-2008, 07:09 PM
i only have my flight booked with jetblue going to orlando right now, price was great but feb isn't out yet to book return trip.

Catzle
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
We just did this for our past trip using JetBlue the trip down was $84 and we didn't want to miss that but coming home was still a lot so we booked the way down and waited for it come down coming home. It worked for us but you just have to be careful one part doesn't way up cause than your stuck! Love Jet Blue and can't wait till we fly them again!

mouseketeer mom
05-19-2008, 08:09 PM
We did this on our last trip. It just worked out dollar wise for us. I booked the leg out when I saw it for a song, the did the same for the return trip when that price came down. There was no difference at all in terms of travel. They don't care how its booked!

merlinmagic4
05-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Great! We're going to give it a try! Thanks!

pogo
05-20-2008, 07:17 AM
We've always booked R/T but now you've got me thinking. Thanks for asking this question. :D

LandFan
05-20-2008, 07:19 AM
I am doing this for the first time this trip myself! I am going Thanksgiving week and found a great deal from Airtran for the way home but I don't like their options for the way down. So I am waiting for Southwest to open up their flights down for November.

I hope we all get what we need/want:D

Mommy2boys
05-20-2008, 07:55 AM
We just did this. Main reason we did it was because of time schedules and the cost was a little better. Another reason was although i like travelling with Southwest they dont offer the check in at the resort so we opted to use Jet Blue to try to save some time at the airport.

Disneyatic
05-20-2008, 05:32 PM
I booked two one-ways for our trip last September and saved @ $100 per person doing it that way!
It looks like I am going to be doing it again this year, Airtran released $76 one-way from DFW to MCO so I snapped that up and now I just have to find us a flight home :mickey:

teambricker04
05-21-2008, 09:51 AM
We do this often. We got tickets to MCO (we went down a couple of weeks ago) at the last minute (two weeks out) for 300 bucks for 4 seats on AirTran. Seriously. Then we bought our tickets coming back at the airport on Southwest for 600. We paid less than 1000 bucks for our airfare for 4 seats. You do run the risks of getting very high rates or extra security checks, but we have been very lucky.