PDA

View Full Version : Packing (plane) question

luvkatiebug
05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I am using the suggestion of packing a "snacks" suitcase for the way down, and filling it with souvenirs and such on the way back. Will it work to pack drinks, like juice boxes and cokes? I didn't know how the cabin pressure might affect those things. Any suggestions from some who have done this - what to pack, and what not too, Thanks... only 8 MORE DAYS!:mickey:

Jasper
05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't think pressure would be an issue with the juice boxes because they have more room to expand if needed. As for soft drink cans I am not so sure but don't think you should have a problem. You might want to put anything like that in ziplock bags just in case. I would definitely not do bottles because they might bang against themselves or something else and break.

Nascfan
05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Are you checking this suitcase or carry-on? If you plan to carry on, remember the restrictions on liquids. I think it's 3 oz? All juice boxes would be over that limit if I'm not mistaken.

sgdisney
05-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Last trip I packed a box of Capri Suns in my snack suitcase and had no problem.

Jasper
05-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Are you checking this suitcase or carry-on? If you plan to carry on, remember the restrictions on liquids. I think it's 3 oz? All juice boxes would be over that limit if I'm not mistaken.

Scot is exactly correct! When I replied earlier I made the assumption that this was going to be a checked bag. If it is then you should be OK. If it is a carry on then you limits on any liquids.

luvkatiebug
05-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Oh, sorry, its definitely a checked bag. I will have enough junk for the kids to carry on without worrying about that.

Good to know about the Capri Suns, b/c that is exactly what I'd probably pack for my girls.

Thanks
m

g8rgirl29
05-19-2008, 04:03 PM
We took a lot of those packs you drop into water and also powdered mix, pitcher and insulated travel cups. We also packed mandarin orange/fruit packs, fruit chews, pretzel stick/cheese packs. This year I am going to freeze muffins to take for breakfast. I would suggest putting any liquids in doubled ziploc baggies just in case, plus those baggies come in handy for your trip.

Disney Doll
05-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Also be careful about the weigh limit. Liquids add lots of extra pounds.

faline
05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
A couple of things to watch for. Most airlines now have weight limits on luggage - usually 50 pounds. Exceedling that limit can be costly.

Also, many airlines are now limiting travelers to one checked bag per passenger. Make sure you don't exceed the number of bags allowed.

Dopey's Girl
05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
A couple of things to watch for. Most airlines now have weight limits on luggage - usually 50 pounds. Exceedling that limit can be costly.

Also, many airlines are now limiting travelers to one checked bag per passenger. Make sure you don't exceed the number of bags allowed.

I was just going to say this...most all of the airlines are only allowing one checked bag per person, so having more than one, you may have to pay extra once you get to the airport. This just happened to my roommate. She said there were a lot of people who didn't know about the change and were not very happy coughing up more money to get all of their stuff on a flight!

I know you want the space for additional stuff coming home, but we usually just hit a grocery store or one of the Hess stations on WDW property so we don't have to lug stuff around with us.

LandFan
05-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Water weighs 9 lbs a gallon (someone told me that once and I think it is true) so watch how much you pack:D it does add up quickly!

KylesMom
05-20-2008, 02:20 PM
When DS was younger, I would first put the juice boxes in a zip loc bag, then place in a hard-sided Rubbermaid container. I then placed this in the middle of the suitcase with plenty of clothes surrounding it for protection, and it always came up fine. The container was great to put souvenirs in for the return trip home, too.

I would be leery of Coke and other carbonated products, however. Your bags get thrown around more than you may think, and the force of an exploding beverage can could create a real mess . . .

luvkatiebug
05-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I think I may just pack the juice boxes and snacks in the suitcase. I'll buy the cokes and bottled water at our grocery stop. Just trying to save a little money at Walmart instead of a more expensive grocer!
Thanks
m