PDA

View Full Version : Low carb at Disney

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-19-2008, 08:33 AM
We'll be making our annual pilgrimmage to Disney this June after all! :) :mickey:
It looks like we'll be staying four nights at Disney followed by three nights at the beach to decompress.

I am doing low carb now, and I need some suggestions on what i can eat at Disney that won't crash my being on low carb.

Breakfast is a little bit of a challenge, but if I do buffets I'm fine. Lunch, I can do a turkey leg or a salad.

I need some more tips and suggestions about other things i can do, and snack suggestions too. I know Dole whips aren't low carb at all, but there's no way I'm skipping my Dole whip! :marg:

katzctkpt
05-19-2008, 08:55 AM
You're gonna be on vacation at Disney what else matters? Enjoy :cloud9:

ElenitaB
05-19-2008, 09:03 AM
I understand your commitment to maintaining your chosen "way of life" while on vacation. There are plenty of things you can do while on vacation. You've already identified some! :thumbsup:

You could do a burger at quite a few places (Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray's), ditch the bun and get lots of fixin's. Sunshine Seasons in EPCOT would be another great choice; they have one section where you can get rotisserie chicken, a huge pork chop or salmon with two side dishes.

Quasimodo
05-19-2008, 09:36 AM
For table service here are some suggestions:

Ohana at the Poly. Ohana has lots and lots of delicious smoked meat. All you can eat.

Le Cellier at Canada in Epcot. Probably the best steak restaurant at WDW.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks! One place I've always wanted to go but my wife has never really been too interested in is the Rose & Crown Pub in the UK. Is there anything there I could do?

Le Cellier is another one I've always wanted to visit, but never have.

Also, we have a two year old, so the places need to appeal to her. Funny story, we took her last year not too long after we'd adopted her from China. We usually go to the Nine Dragons restaurant in China, so we figured we'd take her. They almost shunned us for some reason! :(

For table service here are some suggestions:

Ohana at the Poly. Ohana has lots and lots of delicious smoked meat. All you can eat.

Le Cellier at Canada in Epcot. Probably the best steak restaurant at WDW.

Quasimodo
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks! One place I've always wanted to go but my wife has never really been too interested in is the Rose & Crown Pub in the UK. Is there anything there I could do?

Le Cellier is another one I've always wanted to visit, but never have.

Also, we have a two year old, so the places need to appeal to her. Funny story, we took her last year not too long after we'd adopted her from China. We usually go to the Nine Dragons restaurant in China, so we figured we'd take her. They almost shunned us for some reason! :(

Never been to Rose & Crown, so I can't speak for it. Le Cellier would probably not appeal to a child. Its an adult type place. However, Ohana might be a little more entertaining.

Since you have a 2 yo, you could try Chef Mickeys and/or Crystal Palace. Both are character dining buffets. They have meats and veggies at both.

big blue and hairy
05-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Breakfast is a little bit of a challenge, but if I do buffets I'm fine. Lunch, I can do a turkey leg or a salad.

Where are you staying? The mods and values have omlettesplatters. Just tell them you are on Low Carb and you want sausage instead of potato. You should get two sausages instead of the normal three in a side order. PO is the only place that gave me any flack about it. The woman was a complete jerk, but everywhere else was great!

:sulley:

TheRustyScupper
05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
1) No problem.
2) WDW has excellent chefs and culinary personnel.
3) They have specifically design food so that
. . . the calories are removed
. . . the carbs are non-loaded
. . . the fat-calories have a negative value

Tigger&Stitch
05-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Best advice I can give is check out the Info Central section of Intercot and look at all the menus of the different restaurants you are interested in.

Most sit-down places have a steak of fish option (often salmon), and the chef will often work with you if you want to make substitutions.

sndral
05-20-2008, 03:45 AM
Thanx for posting this, I'm low carb, too.
For snacks I'm planning on fruit cups/bowls, depending on the fruit in them, which is ok if you're maintenance low carb. And non sugared nuts. I'll probably bring my own sunflower & pumpkin seeds, and peanut butter (I buy the no sugar added stuff, which is hard to find) to keep in the room and see if I can hunt down salami, cheese and veggie sticks in dtd. There's always side salads from cs. W/ mexican food I always ask for burritos/ salads, etc. w/out beans and rice. There's some sugar free brownies/cheesecake - but that's still a lot of carbs from the flour.
W/ entrees @ TS I'll do a big salad or meat/fish and ask for a substitute for the potatoe/rice/starch offering, like I do @ non disney restaurants.
Breakfast for me will be an omelet w/ veggies/meat/cheese or eggs and bacon or sausage and I'll ask if I can have cottage cheese or sliced tomatoes instead of potatoes. Anyway, that's my game plan, but my final strategy is - hey, I'm on vacation, I'll have a cheat week (w/in reason - still no deserts) and be really strict the week after. After all, all that extra walking should even things out.

Dakota Rose
05-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I think the snacks are more difficult at WDW because they're all carb-laden (pretzels, popcorn, etc) so I pack snacks. We take baggies of almonds or other nuts, protein bars, etc. You can get carrots instead of fries at some of the quick-service places and while carrots aren't the lowest-carb veggie, they're better than fries.

Don't worry about it too much, and have a good time. My rule is to be good whenever possible (like the snack thing) so I can have a few indulgences (dole whip) at other times. And all the walking will help too. :)

Mousemates
05-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I also thank you for this post...put on the trunks to wash the car and realized I didn't burn off as much of my winter layer during hibernation last year....a little low carb is in the works for me too.:thumbsup: