PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for my dad.. *Update 6/17*

Here we go again...
05-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Well guys, it is that time again. Time for me to ask for more prayers for my father.

His cancer has started to spread like wildfire.
Back in March dad had another pet scan and mri that showed the spot on his jaw had grown and now consumed his jaw bone. They decided to do some intense radiation to help with the pain.

With 3 more treatments to go, we noticed that dad's face and eye started swelling. Dad did not finish the last 2 treatments because he thought that they were missing the mark and hitting his eye. His pain is so bad that it is hard to see him like this.
I saw him on Friday the 9th and went out of town for the weekend for my DD's birthday.

Tuesday when I was at work I got a call from my stepmother asking me to bring dad some Ensure because he could not eat. When I got there I was shocked... his eye was bulging out of his head. The next day they did a scan and an MRI. Friday morning we all met at the doctors office... By now it looked like dad's eye would fall out of the socket any minute.

The doctor said that he has a new tumor that was not there in March and it huge. It is right behind his eye and since it can not grow into the skull, it has to grow out. They set up emergeny radiation for him to help shrink the tumor. Dad in now down to 109 pounds... it is so hard to see. We know that dad will loose sight in that eye. We do not care as long as the pain eases off.

My step mother still works and has been having to miss work to stay with dad. So, I set up a page on ebay asking for donations. Hopefully it will bring in enough money to help get the bills paid.

For now, I need lots of prayers for my dad. He is getting weaker by the day and it is so hard on us. The pain for him is more than he can handle. I do not want to lose my dad, but I do not want to see him live like this. His quality of life is gone. The only reason he is still taking treatment is because of the pain. Hospice will not come in to help sit with him while my stepmother works until they are no longer taking treatments.

So please send some prayers his way.....
Thanks

vizsla
05-19-2008, 05:39 AM
:pixie: is on the way.I know how you feel. I am going through the same experience with my father right now. He is in stage 4 with the cancer. His primary source is his lung, and it has spread to his bones, liver, cervical, and brain. He has had several surgerys already that have relieved the pain and he is fighting everyday to beat this. He is to the point now that they are going to start radiation and chemo which hopefully will help him be a little more comfortable, although that could be tough on some people with the side effects.

merlinmagic4
05-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Tons of :pixie: for your dad. I hope they can ease his pain. Sorry to hear hospice will not help. Don't they understand the treatments are to help ease the pain? This sounds so hard to go through. I lost my dad when he was 50 but it was quick and unexpected. I can't imagine suffering like you all are. More :pixie: for all of you.

DISNEYLOVERS5
05-19-2008, 06:47 AM
prayers coming your way.

disneydeb
05-19-2008, 06:52 AM
Prayers coming from Tennessee.....
(((((HUGS))))) for you , Angel.

MauiMouse
05-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Angel, prayers for your father.

pogo
05-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Oh Angel, I'm so sorry your Dad has to go through this.

Here is a :hug: for you and prayers and :pixie: for your Dad, and your whole family.

Prayers and :pixie: for your Dad as well, Vince.

RAIDER
05-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Best of luck and i pray for a recovery ...:thumbsup:

kakn7294
05-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Angel, I'm so sorry! You and your entire family will be in my prayers! :pixie:

Terra
05-19-2008, 08:39 AM
I am so sorry Angel!
Lots of prayers and :pixie:

NJGIRL
05-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Prayers for your dad and for all that have to deal with this terrible illness.

ElenitaB
05-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Angel, your dad continues on my prayer list.

:hug: for you and the rest of the family!

ChipnDaleGal
05-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Angel, my heart just hurst so bad for your dad, and for your family. Nothing is harder than watching someone you love go through something so awful. Lots of :pixie: that they can aleviate his pain.

Melanie
05-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Lots of :pixie: for your dad and your family at this very difficult time!

Sunshine1010
05-19-2008, 09:24 AM
This is going to be a very difficult time for you. I can make all sorts of suggestions, but only you know what's right for you and your family.

Helping a parent through these times is very hard. I had to leave my husband and move 1 1/2 hours away for almost 2 years to help my mother. I left my career and my husband behind. It was worth it ---- I am the one who was there when she passed, holding her.

I understand the situation with Hospice. No, they won't (can't) help until the patient/doctor have decided on no more treatment due to the outlook of their quality of life. Hospice's aim is to help deal with death by giving comfort and to ease the pain through counseling, support and some pain killers. They provide such a wonderful service....but only to the ones that are no longer receiving treatment. It's hard to understand until you've actually been involved with them.

My heart goes out to you, your stepmother, and your father...and the rest of your family. This is a heartbreaking time for you. Just remember this.....you may not know us personally, but we are here for you....praying for your Dad's pain to go away. Praying for him to reach deep inside his heart and to be able to have peace with his situation. I will be praying for him to be pain free and to just savor every moment he has with his family.

If I'm assuming correctly, he's Stage 4? If so...know that Intercot can be a great venting station and a place to find 'friends'. A lot of us have gone through what you are presently going through.

We're here....

Kairi_7378
05-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Prayers and pixie dust for your dad, for your step mom, and for you!!! I will pray that you all have the strength to handle everything that is coming at you.

MsMin
05-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Angel, you know you are always in my thoughts and prayers :hug: I remember watching my grandfather struggle with pain and in the end just knowing he needed some relief :crying: I'm fortunate that my dad is not in pain but is slowly fading. I thought when my grandmother had dementia that that was horrible but watching my dad w/ Parkinson's and knowing that he's aware that it's just going to get worse is not easy either. :( All of his organs are failing.
You know that I can be there in an hour. Just let me know when you are off. :grouphug: :pixie:

more: remember Angel, my first job was w/ Hospice many moons ago so I know I can help fill in a little to help w/ the things I learned w/ hospice. Angel, let me help...

wdwgrl377
05-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Many, many prayers are being said over here for your dad, Angel. Lots of pixie dust for you and the family :pixie: You're in my thoughts during this time.

buzznwoodysmom
05-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Oh Angel,
I am so sorry to hear that your dad is still in pain and that it has gotten worse. I will keep him, as well as your whole family, in my prayers. I know that this kind of thing takes it toll on not only the person that is sick, but the entire family.

Remember I am just a phone call away and right around the corner if ever you need anything.

Denise

tinkerbell04
05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Angel, I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Having been through this several times with family members, I know how difficult it can be. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.....hugs, prayers and :pixie: coming your way.

MNNHFLTX
05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Angel, my heart goes out to your father, your family and you, going through this struggle. Are there any other hospice providers in your area that you could contact regarding services? Hospice eligibility can vary somewhat from one provider to another. I know here in Texas, most hospices allow the type of treatment your father is receiving, providing that it is for comfort, not curative. And they could be a good resource in helping to get his pain under control.

Prayers and :pixie: going out to you all.

Jeff G
05-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Angel, I'll keep your dad and the enitre time family in my thoughts and prayers as he fights this battle. Words cannot explain how badly I felt for him while reading the post.

:pixie: on it's way as well.

Hayden's Dad
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
I am so sorry to hear about everything you and your family are going through. I know what it is like to ask for more prayers and pixe dust and this is definately the place to do it. Prayers and pixie dust on the way. :pixie::pixie:

Nascfan
05-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Oh Angel, my prayers are with you and your dad. Lots of :pixie: coming from me.

Here we go again...
05-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Angel, you know you are always in my thoughts and prayers :hug: I remember watching my grandfather struggle with pain and in the end just knowing he needed some relief :crying: I'm fortunate that my dad is not in pain but is slowly fading. I thought when my grandmother had dementia that that was horrible but watching my dad w/ Parkinson's and knowing that he's aware that it's just going to get worse is not easy either. :( All of his organs are failing.
You know that I can be there in an hour. Just let me know when you are off. :grouphug: :pixie:

more: remember Angel, my first job was w/ Hospice many moons ago so I know I can help fill in a little to help w/ the things I learned w/ hospice. Angel, let me help...
Trust me, I am going to be calling you. As soon as I can get some time to think I will be calling you... we need to get together to talk and to work on those scrapbooks. I need something to take my mind off of everything.

Angel, my heart goes out to your father, your family and you, going through this struggle. Are there any other hospice providers in your area that you could contact regarding services? Hospice eligibility can vary somewhat from one provider to another. I know here in Texas, most hospices allow the type of treatment your father is receiving, providing that it is for comfort, not curative. And they could be a good resource in helping to get his pain under control.

Prayers and :pixie: going out to you all.

I am going to call Hospice tomorrow. My DH does not believe that they would turn us away when dad is only receiving treatment too make him more comfortable. We know there is no cure, but the doctor is trying reduce the pain. My understanding is that hospice will not come in if he is receiving and chemo or radiation. I guess I need to call them to clarify.

To Jeanne:
Thank you soooo much for the donation. It means the world to me! :cloud9: You made me cry.... :blush:

SgtTigger
05-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Angel I am so sorry to hear this......

If We can do anything let us know.............

:cop: :tigger:

Piglet822
05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Angel, I'm very sorry to hear this. More prayers and :pixie: coming at ya - let me know if there's anything I can do.

Beast_fanatic
05-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Loads of :pixie: on the way... I hope they find a way to make your dad more comfortable. :hug: to you as well. You and your family are in my thoughts.

joanna71985
05-20-2008, 12:44 AM
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear that! I am sending prayers your way.:grouphug::hug::pixie:

Mickey'sGirl
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
I am so sorry to hear this Angel. I hope that the doctors find a way to ease your dad's pain. I am sending loads of :pixie: for you and your family.

Tinksalot
05-20-2008, 01:53 PM
My brother passed away just a month ago from cancer and Hospice was wonderful. They gave him Morphine for the pain and he passed away very peacefully. Can he stop the treatments and try the Morphine?
My heart goes out to you and your family :crying:
Sending prayers and hugs :hug:

RedSoxFan
05-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Angel -- I'm so sorry to hear about your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you go through this difficult time.

mrsgaribaldi
05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm so sorry Angel. Prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way. I sent you a PM too.

Here we go again...
05-20-2008, 11:59 PM
My brother passed away just a month ago from cancer and Hospice was wonderful. They gave him Morphine for the pain and he passed away very peacefully. Can he stop the treatments and try the Morphine?
My heart goes out to you and your family :crying:
Sending prayers and hugs :hug:

At this point he can not stop the treatments because the tumor is growing so fast that it is pushing his eye out of the socket. The pain is unbearable. Once the tumor shrinks we will make the decision about what to do next.

I am going to Hospice tomorrow to see if we can do anything at this point. Maybe some of the volunteers might be willing to start visiting them and help with the counceling part.

Ellen:
Thank you Sooooooo much for the Ebay donation. You do not know how much I appreciate it. I got some donations from friends mailed to me and with ebay we have almost enough to pay a months rent! It amazes me how generous eveyone is at times like this. :cloud9:

daparish
05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Angel,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :angel:

Here we go again...
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
*Update* 5-23-08

Dad called me with a little good news!
Well, possible good news, but we are keeping our hopes up.

He saw the doctor and was told that there is a possibility that they will be able to save his eye! Not just the eye, but the sight in his eye!!
They told dad that it does not look like the radiation is going to affect the optic nerves. If they are right, then his vision should come back.

Dad said the pain in his eye is easing up so that means the tumor is shrinking.
The doctor keeps reminding us that dad is only being give the radiation to ease the pain and this might not help him live any longer. According to the doctor, at this point tumors will start popping up all over his head. If they are painful then they will use radiation to shrink them.

Dad has beat the odds many times now. I think it is the power of prayer. Every time I post for prayer requests dad seems to get a little better. :cloud9:

To Jeff G:
Thank you very much for your help! I appreciate it more than you know.

To anyone else that has donated that I have not thanked, it is beacuse I do not recognize the screen names on Ebay.

I will keep everyone posted on how things are going with dad!

Kairi_7378
05-23-2008, 10:39 AM
So thrilled to hear the good news about your dad! Every little bit helps, doesn't it? Your dad sounds like quite a trouper. We will keep the prayers coming!

Here we go again...
05-25-2008, 11:25 PM
I will be sending out the official thank you notes with a picture and update about dad, but I wanted to thank everyone that helped with the Ebay auction.
We were able to raise enough to pay for a months rent!!!!! :cloud9:
Dad will be amazed and very happy.

Thank you to all that donated!!
Angel

Here we go again...
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Hey guys,
Sorry I have not been on line much, I have been extremely busy...
Things have been kind of crazy. I am now working full time, still going to physical therapy 3 times a week and doing water therapy the other 2 days during the week.
I am also in the last week before dance review with Taylor so she has dance every day of the week... and is still playing tournament fastpitch... That means practice during the week and games every weekend. My schedule is a little overwhelming.

Anyway, it is time to ask for a little more Prayers and Pixie dust for dad.
You all know that he was diagnosed with a tumor behind his right eye last month. Dad completed his radiation last week but the doctor wants to wait until the end of the month to do any scans to give the radiation time to take full effect. So we will not know if the radiation did any good for a while.

In the last week, dad's jaw has started hurting again (remember, this all started with bone cancer in his jaw). Yesterday he called me to tell me that he could not see out of his left eye... it is doing the same this his right eye did before they found the tumor. His vision is "watery"... he feels like he is looking under water.

Dad is scared to death... I can see it in his face. He is not affraid of dying, he is affraid of going blind and being a burden on his family. This has been very hard on my stepmother, but she is a trooper. Dad is very lucky to have her in his life. Since I have been so busy I have not been of much help to dad. I have been visiting him almost daily, but can not spend much time with him. After dance review this weekend I hope that will change.

Dad did get some good news yesterday though... They got a call from an apartment complex they applied for. This is an elderly community and the rent is based on income. Not only did they get an appartment, it is one that is right next to the parking lot so their door will be about 20 feet from their car. This will make things much easier for them. Now dad can relax a little knowing that Rita will be able to afford the rent after he is gone.

So, if anyone has any spare Prayers, I would appreciate all that you can spare. Hopefully we will know more soon.

ElenitaB
06-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I must say that I've been wondering where you've been and downright worried about your dad. Glad to hear that they got into the apartment complex and that the tumor behind his right eye shrank with the radiation treatments. I am so incredibly sorry that he, as many others, has to face this trial. He and your family will remain in my prayers.

:hug:
Ellen

Jeff G
06-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Angel, I will continue to pray for your dad every day. It breaks my heart with all he is going through, hopefully the treatments help.

It is good news that he was able to get into the new apartment and that works better for your parents.

Dsnygirl
06-18-2008, 04:57 AM
Angel, we're sending many prayers and pixie dust your dad's way.... I'm so sorry he has to go through this, and that it is so painful for you emotionally, as well. :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: Hang in there... your dad is lucky to have you and your stepmom.

Kairi_7378
06-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Sending prayers, pixie dust, and hugs to your Dad, your family, and you!

Tinksalot
06-18-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :pixie::pixie::pixie::hug:

mrsgaribaldi
06-18-2008, 08:59 AM
I was just thinking about him and you this morning. More prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: on the way.

DisneyDudet
06-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Angel, I am so sorry to hear all this. I do not know how I missed your original postings, but I am so sorry.

I would love to donate. Please let me know how I can, if you are still taking donations.

If I can't donate, my prayers will be lifted up often every day.