PDA

View Full Version : California Grill or Whispering Canyon Cafe

Tinkpink
05-17-2008, 09:52 AM
I need some help deciding which reservation to make. We have already made WCC - mainly because we have heard how much fun it is. Not really excited aboput BBQ menu (as I am a vegetarian) but we think it will be fun. I have heard that California Grill (Is this the 15th floor restaurant? :confused:) is great and has a great menu.

Can anyone offer advice? We are a family of 5 with 3 children 10 and under.

THanks in advance!:mickey:

wendy*darling
05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Both restaurants are very good.
But they are completely different as far as atmosphere, price and food offered.

Whispering Canyon (in the Wilderness Lodge) is rowdy and tons of fun for the kids. They do have a meat-centric menu, but they also offer a couple of good vegetarian options (a veggie pasta and a veggie enchilada). Your kids will really enjoy the antics of the servers.

California Grill (yes- at the top of the Contemporary Resort) is "fine dining"- one of Disney's Signature Restaurants.
The view is gorgeous, the food is "contemporary" California inspired- beautiful and pricey. They have great sushi. You can ask the chef to prepare something vegetarian. If your kids are used to upscale dining- this is a terrific place. The dress code is "business casual"- no shorts or t-shirts. Khakis and collared shirts for the men/boys and nice capris and a top, or a dress for the women and girls.

Another difference (if you are on the DDP) WCC is 1TS, Cali Grill is 2TS.

So choosing between these 2 is not an easy choice- definitely apples vs oranges.
You win either way though! :thumbsup:

Another thing to be aware of: you can ask for the chef to prepare or recommend something vegetarian at every WDW table service restaurant- you'll get some wonderful, fresh food this way! :mickey:

HndrdPrcnt
05-17-2008, 01:39 PM
I agree that you are honestly talking apples and oranges here. These are both WONDERFUL restaurants, but they could not be more different!!

For our entire family, we love WCC!! The kids especially love the antics of the servers and being able to have "horsey" races around the restaurant. It is a very fun time and the food is actually quite good. We usually go for breakfast and get the all-you-can-eat skillet. We get nice and filled up before our day in the park. We usually don't even have to stop for lunch because we are so full.

California Grill is usually a meal that my wife and I do alone - partly because of the price and the menu of the restaurant, partly because it gives us the opportunity to have a romantic dinner alone. This is an amazing experience every time!! Schedule your meal 1 - 1 1/2 hours before Wishes and when you check-in request a window table with a view of Wishes and then ENJOY!!!!!:thumbsup:

Like the PP said, on the Dining Plan, CG is a Signature restaurant and takes 2TS per person. WCC is a 1TS meal per person. So, you may need to take that in to account as well.

Tinkpink
05-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Wow! Thanks for the great advice. That really helps clear the decision up and I learned alot. I think we will stick with WCC for the family. May also try GC just for the adults. Great!

thejens
05-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Definitely do try to do California Grill if you can. I will agree it is more enjoyable without the kids (we've done it both ways!)

katzctkpt
05-18-2008, 11:08 PM
We did WCC this past yr and wasn't that pleased with it. We were all excited after reading all the posts of how fun and rowdy it was. The cm we had wasn't into playing the role and the food wasn't that good. My kids said they liked chef mickey's better.

mrsgaribaldi
05-19-2008, 02:21 AM
California Grill is our favorite restaurant. I love to see the fireworks from there. It is very romantic.:cloud9: And the food is delicious too:thumbsup:

MauiMouse
05-19-2008, 07:01 AM
I have eaten both breakfast and dinner at Whispering Canyon. Both times very enjoyable. We had someone at our table ask for ketchup which was very funny. Try it!

Now for California Grill, I've always wanted to eat here and we will do this in December. We are going to try and get a seating time near the fireworks.

Crow
05-19-2008, 07:02 PM
CG has become a fav at top of my list
WC is at bottom. ive eaten twice & it was ok all you care to eat skillet but not great. the kids may enjoy the atmosphere though
but they may like the view at CG & seeing wishes. the food there is great. Ive had sushi, flatbread, entrees,dessert. the sushi is the best Ive had

TheAdventurer
05-20-2008, 11:57 AM
The dress code is "business casual"- no shorts or t-shirts. Khakis and collared shirts for the men/boys and nice capris and a top, or a dress for the women and girls.

Just to point out, Disney actually changed its dress code last year; t-shirts are now allowed. And shorts, nice ones at least, were allowed previosuly and still are.

http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/dining/dresscodes/default.asp

CU Tiger
05-20-2008, 12:57 PM
We make eating at WC and annual event. Our kids love the atmosphere and all the CMs do. This is more for the family than the California grill. :mickey:

Jared
05-20-2008, 06:57 PM
Wow! Thanks for the great advice. That really helps clear the decision up and I learned alot. I think we will stick with WCC for the family. May also try GC just for the adults. Great!
Good decision. Though California Grill accommodates families, you will probably have a better experience there as a couple. It is elegant and classy.

Whispering Canyon Cafe is absolutely perfect for young kids.

:tasty: