PDA

View Full Version : What should I know before cruising?

JennyAnne
05-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi everyone!

My fiance and I were thinking about booking a cruise for our honeymoon. My fiance is a very enthusiastic person who likes to jump head first into things. I am not that kind of person. Neither of us have ever cruised before, so what types of things should we be considering before we book? He is ready to book tonight; I would like to know what types of things I should be looking for when considering which cruise we will take. It will not be a Disney cruise, so any recommendations on a particular cruise line would be welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for your help!

:mickey:

Tick-Tock
05-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Go to a website called Cruise Critic. It has tons of information, including info for first-time cruisers and what to consider. (Though the boards aren't as nice as here.)

Basically, you should think about how long a cruise, how much you want to pay, where you want to go, when you're going, and what atmosphere/amenities you expect. A large-ship experience in the Caribbean is different from a small-ship cruise in Alaska, just like a Caribbean cruise on Carnival during spring break is different from a Cunard trans-Atlantic crossing in the fall.

By the way, I understand your need to research. My DH's favorite expression when it comes to travel is "Book it!," while I need to research quite a bit.

Best wishes for your upcoming wedding.

Disney Lynn
05-19-2008, 07:30 AM
I agree with going to www dot cruisecritic dot com. On their homepage, you'll find links to short articles on all different cruising issues, including what to consider when choosing a cruiseline, issues for first-time cruisers, etc. Also, there are discussion forums for each cruise line as well as for topics such as first time cruisers, etc.

As for choosing a cruise, there are so many factors to consider. For instance, budget, cruise location, which season, how fancy do you want to be, any special interests, etc.

Although DH & I arrange our own cruises, I frequently suggest that new cruisers talk to a "brick & mortar" TA for their first cruise. Ask your friends and relatives for a recommendation of a TA who has experience with cruises.

And best wishes for your continued happiness!

JennyAnne
05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Thank you so much for the recommendations! We ended up on a Royal Caribbean cruise...7 nights in the western Caribbean. I will definitely be checking out that site for more information, because we are totally lost right now. I am a big planner though, so it will be something fun to occupy my time over the next few months. :thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
05-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Congrats.

CC has good general overviews of most, if not all, ports and it also has boards dedicated to each port and a RCCL board as well. I found those to be good starting points for each port's attractions (we hate the cruise line's excursions and wanted to do stuff on our own).

Disney Lynn
05-20-2008, 08:15 AM
JennyAnne: RCCL is a good choice. We've only been on 4 cruises with them (due to scheduling, budget issues, etc) but will certainly cruise with them again. Most of their ships have a limited number of small tables (in the dining room), so request a small table asap(unless you really want to meet other people on your honeymoon). If you do want to meet others, sign up for your cruise's Roll Call on cruisecritic.

As tick- tock said, check out the Ports of Call forums on CC- you will probably go to Cozumel and Grand Cayman on a western cruise. It's very easy to do your own thing on Cozumel (we always end up taking a taxi to Paradise Beach for a relaxing day). Grand Cayman is a tender port, so it's actually less of a hassle to take one of RCCL's shore excursions there (to get priority off the ship). I suggest going to stingray city (maybe combine it with some snorkeling).

You've made a good choice!

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-31-2008, 03:07 PM
I've been on 7 cruises. I recommend Royal Caribbean. They ships are really nice, great food and lots to do aboard the ship. My next cruise will either be that or try a Disney.

The only one I don't recommend is Carnival. I've done a few and the last 2 times it was terrible. I felt like I wasted my money. The food was awful.

When deciding what destinations you like also look at the available shore excursions.

thejens
06-21-2008, 11:32 PM
I also recommend Stingray City, it was wonderful. We enjoyed snorkeling at the Money Bar in Cozumel. We have done the Disney Cruise, in my opinion best if you have kids. We also did a Norwegian Cruise Line, the Jewel, which I loved especially for the freestyle dining and choices of restaurants. I like cruises because it is a nice way of "sampling" different vacation destinations, trying new things (like snorkeling), yet it is very luxurious. Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor are both great sites for research. I have heard wonderful things about RC. Congratulations and have a great time.

amd780
06-24-2008, 08:39 PM
DH and I took a Royal Caribbean cruise to Bermuda for our honeymoon. We loved every minute of it! There was so much to do on the ship, the staff was top-notch, and the food was excellent. You made a great choice.

Have a wonderful trip! :)