PDA

View Full Version : Somebody Stole Our Mailbox!

Tick-Tock
05-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes, the entire mailbox. My DH is talking to me on the phone and walks out to get the mail ... and no box!

We're pretty sure the mail had already been delivered, so now we're taking precautions against identity theft.:mad:

pink
05-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Wow that is so strange, I hope everything works out for you. :mickey:

tinkerbell04
05-16-2008, 07:43 PM
OMG, that is just plain crazy. I hope that it all works out!!!

wickedwitch
05-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Its official...now I've heard them all!!!
Hopefully you will recover all of your mail.
Good luck and keep us updated!

sardanem
05-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I am pretty sure that is a federal offense. Technically your mail box belongs to the post office(that is why people can not just put mail in your box without actually mailing it-stuff like menu's etc) and the PO is federal. I would definitley look into it and take it seriously. My DH has worked for the PO for 16 years now and I have heard tons of stories. Good luck and I hope everything works out.

Lisa

Flower
05-17-2008, 10:26 AM
A few years back in the rural part of our municipality, someone went around one night and took over 60 mailboxes. Most of them were recovered, but it was great fun for the police to do the reports and have people come in to ID their box.

Definitely report it and heres hoping whoever stole it got nothing serious.

Tick-Tock
05-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Yes, it is a federal crime. We've reported it to the postal authorities and the police.

That was one of the weird things - our box was the only one touched. We live on a typical suburban street, not out in the country, and everyone else's was fine. We're trying to figure out if we've offended someone...

SgtTigger
05-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Does it look like someone might have run over it??????

Is it by your neighbors drive way when they back out?????

Just putting on my thinking cap.... and things from my past at work.....

:cop: :tigger:

PirateLover
05-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Yea.. to make a long story short I recently knew of someone whose panicked friend (teenage girl) drove over a mailbox and dragged the entire thing underneath her car for something like a mile until it eventually ripped something underneath and the car stalled out. Crazy! I hope you get this figured out.

Tick-Tock
05-17-2008, 12:10 PM

:cop: :tigger:

Nope, the post is fine. It's by only our driveway and we didn't hit it. We searched up and down the street, around the block, etc. Even in a stream about a block or so from the house, in case some teenagers were having fun.

It was garbage day yesterday, so if someone knocked it off the post without leaving any signs or deliberately took it off, they may have left it with the garbage. Unfortunately, the pick-up came before we noticed the box was gone, so there's no way of knowing.

It's all very strange.:confused:

ChipnDaleGal
05-17-2008, 03:50 PM
That must be so unsettling to think of what might have been in the box when it was stolen. I hope that you don't have any big problems stem from this. And hopefully someone will get caught for this. Sorry that you had to be the victim in this story.

MNNHFLTX
05-18-2008, 12:51 PM
That's too bad that this happened, especially considering you have to be worried about identity theft now too. :(

It's been a bad month for mailboxes, I guess, because a teenage boy backed into our big brick one and demolished it a couple of weeks ago. It is still lying in a heap in our front yard, but hopefully will be fixed this week.