PDA

View Full Version : Carseats and flying?

KAT1811
05-16-2008, 01:41 PM
On our last trip to WDW (Sept. 2007) we took DD#2's car seat and had DD#3 on our laps which worked out fine. DD#2 was 2 1/2 and DD#3 was 10 months. On our upcoming trip DD#2 will be turning 4 and DD#3 will be turning 2, both will have their own seats (DD#3 could fly down as a lap child but back she will be 2 so she'll require her own seat so to make matters easier we figured we would just get her a seat on both legs of the flight).

When we traveled with just DD#1 (now 11) we never took a car seat. On our last trip the car seat worked fairly well (except that it put DD too close to the seat in front of her so any foot movement was interpreted as seat kicking (on the way home DM sat in front of her). I am thinking about not bringing the car seats at all and just having all of our DDs sit in regular seats. I figured that with DH and I flying together we could give them plenty of wiggle room.

What do you think? What do all of you do with your children?

We are taking the DME for the first time both ways, we typically have a car service pick us up so we use the car seats but, now we have no other use for them other than the plane.
So. . . I figured why lug them all the way there just to store them once we get to the resort. We are flying direct on an approximate 3 hour flight (with a DVD player and lots of games and the like to distract them).

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I used a car seat for each of my kids on the plane until they were over 4. My daughter was just shy of 4 when we went down in September and she was still in her car seat.
I am not a big fan of flying so, I feel much better knowing they are safe and sound in their car seats.

Not to mention, they know they can't get out of their car seats in the car so, they don't ask to get out on the plane unless they have to use the restroom. A real sanity saver!!;)

To get through the airport easier, I put the car seat in the stroller while my husband walked with our daughter and held her hand. I just pushed the stroller right to the plane where they took it and I took the car seat. Works like a charm.

TikiGoddess
05-16-2008, 08:24 PM
We've flown with and without the carseat when my daughter was 2. What happened on the way down to FL was we forgot her carseat in the car at the airport. Without the carseat was a nightmare (three hour flight). She was sliding all around the seat, crouching on the floor, standing on the seat, crawling under the seat....

On the way home we had a carseat for her and what a difference. Quiet flight, no wiggling. Yes, she could reach the seat in front of her with her feet but we had DH sit there.

I know it's a pain to lug but I would recommend it.

TikiG

chick20679
05-17-2008, 07:25 AM
The safest place for your child on an airplane is in a child safety seat.

That being said, it isn't required, and if you think your DD's will stay seated and buckled, then you should be just fine. And you won't have to lug two car seats around the airport.

On another note, be sure if you DO bring them that they say 'FAA approved for use in aircraft' ~ otherwise you'll lug them for nothing since they can't be used on board.

Also, you may want to consider the harness restraint option called CARES. Kinda pricey, (around $75 and only approved for aircraft use) but they fit right in your carry-on bag and provide safety to your children. A win-win, IMO.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
05-17-2008, 02:57 PM
We went down Sept 07 with our 2 DD's at that time, ages 9 months and 3 years. We didnt have a seat for the little one (She rode on our laps), and our 3 year old traveled fine without a car seat. (We live in CT and travel out of Bradley, so the flight time is about the same as KAT1811.) We had no problems... and will be doing the same thing this September. ( Our little one will be 20 months and a 4 year old. ) The little one will take turns on laps, and the big one have her own seat. I have learned to bring our portable DVD player along, and borrow another from a griend, so the each have their own entertainment for the flight.

We had no issues last September without carseats, and I dont forsee any this year.

HndrdPrcnt
05-17-2008, 03:43 PM
This is really going to depend on the disposition of your child and only you know him/her best. :thumbsup:

JMTStone
05-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I know it will be a pain lugging the car seats around the airport, but we did that until DD was 5. The one time we didn't and she was also one of those children with ants in her pants: wiggling around and standing and generally not sitting.

In a car seat, they know the're in there for the duration.

We left ours at bell services and they brought it to our room when they brought the bags.

tyandskyesmom
05-19-2008, 11:41 AM
We only ever took a car seat when flying when Tyler was 2 (our first trip with a child - he's now 9 and has a 4 year old sister). We also rented a car (our last time doing that!) so we needed it.

We do not lug car seats anymore and have never had any problems. Our kids know that the seat belt stays on when you are seated and you are seated for most of the flight. Usually they end up falling asleep on eachother.

But I do agree that you need to judge based on your children...if they are without a seat will they be content to sit and not bounce all over the place? Would a car seat help them stay on one place without wanting out? A friend of mine has a son that it does not matter where they are, if she sits down where he can see her he figures she should be holding him so being belted in with her sitting next to him is a plane that seems like it is not moving (therefore not like being in a car to a small child) would be torture for him...and probably all around him. She would end up taking him out of the seat and holding him or letting him sit in the "big-boy" seat anyway so luggng the car seat would be pretty useless.

There are tons of people who do both. It will have to depend on you and your children on how you will all handle it.

Momto3littlemice
05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I think it completely depends on the demeanor of your children. When we went last time, it was about a 3 hour flight and we did it without car seats. I really debated (because it is safer on the plane with them) but it was so much easier without (and we also used DME -- on which they won't let you use them). Our kids were absolutely fine without them. At the time they were just turned 2 and almost 4. We had snacks, games, DVDs and just the idea that we were on the plane to Disney - the flight was no problem at all. Of course, it also depends on time of day (does your child usually nap in the seat etc?) but I would bet with all the stuff those little ones require having less stuff would be better.

Have a great time!:mickey: