PDA

View Full Version : Mosquitoes at Polynesian?

ldc12377
05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
We will be staying at the Polynesian Resort for the first time the first week in June. Last year, we went to WDW prepared for mosquitoes because we had heard that they were a problem but we don't have any trouble with them and we never even got out the bug repellent. We had decided to forget about packing the repellent this year but were wondering if the mosquitoes or other bugs are worse at the Polynesian because of all the water around. Should we bring the repellent or not? I don't really want to pack anything extra because I'm really trying to pack light this time. Any advise?

SBETigg
05-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm not going to say that you won't find any and not to worry, but we have stayed at the Polynesian in October and the Grand Floridian in August and have never been bothered by mosquitos. I normally attract them and end up covered in bites, but never in WDW. Disney magic? They do sell repellant and sunscreen in the resort if you don't pack it and end up needing it.

Polynesian Dweller
05-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Uhh, there's the same amount of water around all of the resorts. Water is everywhere in Florida. In this case, the Poly, Grand Floridian, and Contemporary, all share the Seven Seas Lagoon and the Contemporary also has Bay Lake. Directly south of the Polynesian is the main parking lot area , to the east the TTC, and to the west the Magnolia Golf course and Shades of Green. So no more water at the Poly than anywhere else.

Don't worry, we've never had any problems with mosquitos.

dizknee531
05-15-2008, 11:14 PM
we have never had a problem anywhere on property with mosquitoes. You should be OK. Have fun!!:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-15-2008, 11:21 PM
We have never had a problem with mosquitoes anywhere at Disney.

We watched Wishes from the beach of the Poly tonight, and there wasn't a bug to be found...so you should be good :mickey:

Mousemates
05-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Ditto's on the no problems for us either:thumbsup:...and I too am one of those "lucky souls":( that seems to attract whatever parasite happens to be around (I've literally seen a flea jump off my wife to bite me)...but I've never had a problem at Disney with mosquitos at Disney.:D

And for that matter I've also never had a problem with lots of the other things that sometimes get mentioned on community boards that create "vacation anxiety." We've been to Disney many times and I can't recall every having an issue with mosquitoes, sand fleas, or regular fleas from the folks who smuggled a dog into their room, or bedbugs, or deadly fresh water amoebas that can enter my nasal passages, or fire ants, or ticks, or allligators, or water mocassins, or any of a number of other of the things that can make an isolated vacation or two go bad.:drama:

I'm not saying these kinds of things don't occasionally strike and create real problems for someone, but the odds of having a major problem with any of them seem to be about the same as being struck by lightening or bitten by a shark (except maybe around New Smyrna Beach, the aerial pics from their creep me out sometimes).

When I read about some of those worrisome things on the blogs and boards I (who have an active worry gland that rises up from time to time) always try to remember that there is a reason that WDW is such a popular vacation spot and that people go back year after year...and that reason is that 999 out of a 1000 folks go and have a great time without having problem one.

Here's hoping that on our next trips to the world , that your family and mine will be among the 999ers.:cloud9:

Disneyfun
05-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Having lived in Kissimmee for 5 years, I can personally attest to the fact that the mosquito is the state bird for FL! :thedolls:
Mosquitos like to grow in stagnant water, so you are less likely to have an issue at the Poly than you would at the WL or Ft.Wilderness as there is plenty of wooded areas for a pool of water to serve as a breeding gound!
WDW does frequently (much more than the surrounding cities for obvious reasons $$$) spray the wooded areas during the summer months to inhibit the population. But this does not 100% guarantee that there couldn't be an off year with a lot of mosquitos.
If I were you, I would take a very small bottle of bug spray just in case. It really won't take up that much room in your luggage - atleast not as much as the 2-3 shirts that you may or may not wear! :D
And if you have to fork over your 1st born to buy it at the resort you will regret not sacrificing the 4-5 cubic inches in your suitcase IMHO.

MNNHFLTX
05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
We've never found mosquitos to be a problem at WDW; I'm sure they must spray fairly often to keep the population down. In fact, Florida as a whole is much better about mosquito control. I missed that once I moved to Houston. Apparently they don't have the budget for regular mosquito control measures here.