PDA

View Full Version : Universe of Energy

one2goofy
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
In our 5 trips we've never been on the Universe of Energy (EPCOT). I would like to give it a try when we go back in Nov.

Can anyone give a bit of info. about the ride? I'm looking for details about how scary it is, how long it is, and if there is a way to leave the attraction if it is too much (and too long)?

I have an 8 year old who I know will love it and a 6 year old who may or may not be into it (with no real way to tell until it starts)...

Thank you!

Figment104
05-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Once you board the cars I don't believe there's anyway to get off. If I remember correctly first you watch a movie in an outer room while waiting to board, then you board the vehicles and have a very brief video (could be wrong on this part, just can't seem to remember) and then the cars start moving to the area where the dinosaurs are.
Unfortunatly, I wouldn't really be able to help about if it would be too scary for a 6 year old. I remember we used to take my brother on it when he was really young but it's really going to depend on the child. Have they ever gone on Dinousar at AK? Not nearly as intense as that but it may give you some idea.

bruin1344
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I havent been on it in 3 years, its one of my least favorites rides in epcot because its too long and boring for me, i cant remember it being scary for children

Tegrigg
05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
It is one of our favorite rides. Since Ellen has been on it , it has been much better. We sat in the middle and my kids did fine.

1978 offsite
1982 offsite
1985 treehouse villas
1989 cbr
2001 Poly
2003 Poly
2005 poly
May 24th 08 Poly

chrisb26
05-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Once on the ride I don't think you are able to exit. The ride I believe is about 40 minutes long.

As said already there is a pre-show then you board the vehicles with another video then you are off looking at the dinosaurs. Which would really be the only scary part but its nothing like the dinosaurs in the ride Dinosaur at AK. These are not as scary. There is only one scene that might be scary and its when a dinosaur is trying to get Ellen but that I don't think is very scary. After the dino part you go into another room to watch a longer video then finally you return to your original room to watch the small ending clip.

I personally like the ride I think Ellen is pretty funny. If you didn't know it stars Ellen Degeneres and Bill Nye The Science Guy.

The only thing other then that one scene that might be scary is the noise level. Certain parts of the ride are very loud. Other then that it should be fine as long as you can sit for 40 minutes. But it is a great way to cool off from the heat :D

valjane
05-15-2008, 01:30 PM
There is no way to get off once on the ride.

When I was 9, my mom brought my baby brother on the ride (he was about 8 months old at the time). He started SCREAMING as soon as it started and didn't stop the entire time. I was mortified. To this day I feel bad for the people around us. :-o

I don't think anything about the attraction is scary, even for a 6 year old. YOu should definitely try it!

cal5755
05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
We like this ride too. My youngest was 4 last Sept. and she was not scared of any of it. Ellen is funny and it is a nice cool long ride.. a great way to rest and be entertained at the same time.

FenwayGirl
05-15-2008, 02:38 PM
My family loves it, but to be honest...I usually nap my way through the ride :blush:

laward32
05-15-2008, 02:38 PM
My youngest DD is 6 and she did fine. We put her in the middle. The dinosaurs didn't really scare her, plus she had already rode Dinosaur. There were a couple of places where all the lights go off for a few seconds and she didn't really like that very much. I just held her hand and she was fine. She's not much on the dark.
The first time we rode JC she freaked out when we went through the tunnel.
Hope this helps. Have a great trip!:mickey:

MauiMouse
05-15-2008, 02:40 PM
It is definitely a long ride from beginning to end about 45 minutes. They even mention to you before you board your vehicles to check if you have an ADRs or Fast Pass windows because it's so long.

I enjoy sitting through the attraction, especially on a super hot day.

Kate In Wonderland
05-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I love this ride! It's definitely so much better now that Ellen (and Bill Nye the science guy!) are on it. It's a fairly long ride and I don't think it's very scary. It's also a very slow moving ride too. I like it - especially on a hot day!

Little Round Bale
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
We love this ride. It is long but so much to see and I found it informative to... Ok I love Bill Nye, he's a hoot. Ellen is great in this too!.

My DD rode on it when she was 4 and she was a little scared but only in the dinasaur part. I gave DD a very very small keyring flash light she kept in her day pack, she turned on if she was scared. Granted it was very very dim but she said it helped alot.

Gator
05-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I was like you my first couple of trips - missing the ride completely. I finally made it on the 3rd trip...and wish I'd stayed off of it. The pre-show is terrible. They try so hard to be funny. Luckily, they don't have anything in the main room to impale yourself on, so you won't have any thought of making yourself a permanent fixture. The ride that follows is ssslllloooooowwww and dull. There are a few cool animatronics, but it's mostly full of non-Intelligence propaganda. I'll avoid from this point on. Sorry to be harsh. This is the only ride at WDW that deserves such criticism. Nothing comes close to it's badness, IMH(but extremely accurate)O.:D

mrsgaribaldi
05-16-2008, 04:07 AM
We love it too. I like to nap at times:secret:

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
The one and only time I went on this attraction, it stalled. It was back in 97 I think...maybe 99. But we were stuck in the dinosaur room with the long-necked dinosaur and had to actually leave the ride.

Chris :hatter:

DisneyBabe
05-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Love this ride! Ellen is great, a bit educational but it's still humorus non-the-less. The dinosaurs are not scary AT ALL in my opinion, my little sister was maybe 2 or 3 and she loved it, so the kids should be okay depending on what types of things scare them.

Dopey's Girl
05-17-2008, 01:14 PM
:sleepin::sleepin::sleepin::sleepin:

Sorry I was sleeping just thinking about it! I have only been on this ride a few times and generally about 10 mins into it, I'm really sorry. It's 45 mins to nap though, so if it's hot, or you just don't want to leave the park at nap time it's great! But if you are trying to see other stuff, I say, keep skipping it!

mudpuppysmom
05-17-2008, 07:55 PM
I was pregnant last trip (In January) and couldn't ride much so I decided to go on this while DS and DH went and rode TT. It is pretty long -- they were finished and waiting for me when I was done -- they had ice cream waiting for me!!

I'll say it was a nice place for a nap, but I did manage some of the story line and I think a 6 yr old will do fine with it.

Even in January it was hot for me, so it was a welcome bit of respite for 45 minutes or so!!

Polynesian Dweller
05-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Don't mind it really but it could use a shorttening by about 15 minutes. There's too much downtime waiting for vehicles to move from room to room.

Mickey91
05-18-2008, 09:09 AM
It isn't scary at all. It is a nice one to get out of the heat and relax a while. It is basically about our energy resources. It has Bill Nye and Ellen Degenerous and a bit of Jeopardy. I could have lived without that redo but it is still okay.

crltkcagle
05-18-2008, 09:38 AM
Ugh! This is the worst ride ever! Well IMO anyways. It so long and boring and you can't get off. I take a nap during this one. My boys like the dinosaurs so I take them on it but if it were up to me I would never go back.

CrazyStitch
05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Eh, it's alright. If they would just remove the part with the neon radio antenna, where you don't do or see anything while listening to Nye prattle on about the march of time, the ride would improve from "long and boring" to just "boring".

joelkfla
05-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Eh, it's alright. If they would just remove the part with the neon radio antenna, where you don't do or see anything while listening to Nye prattle on about the march of time, the ride would improve from "long and boring" to just "boring".
They can't remove that. It's just to fill time while the ride vehicles reassemble into theater configuration.

CrazyStitch
05-20-2008, 08:58 AM
They can't remove that. It's just to fill time while the ride vehicles reassemble into theater configuration.

True, hadn't thought about that. Just wish they could do something else with it.

CaptainSad
05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I was like you my first couple of trips - missing the ride completely. I finally made it on the 3rd trip...and wish I'd stayed off of it. The pre-show is terrible. They try so hard to be funny. Luckily, they don't have anything in the main room to impale yourself on, so you won't have any thought of making yourself a permanent fixture. The ride that follows is ssslllloooooowwww and dull. There are a few cool animatronics, but it's mostly full of non-Intelligence propaganda. I'll avoid from this point on. Sorry to be harsh. This is the only ride at WDW that deserves such criticism. Nothing comes close to it's badness, IMH(but extremely accurate)O.:D

Man do I disagree with you saying this is the worst at WDW... Yes it may be long, but the time you get to spend out of the sun on a very hot day is great. About the worst? I think maybe you haven't been to "Sounds Dangerous"!!! That is one God awful attraction in my opinion. Every time I'm down I avoid it like the plague. Which Imagineer thought this one up? I wonder if he still works there.