PDA

View Full Version : Reluctant Traveler

wdwcarrie
05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
So, DH and I are heading to the World with our good friends, another couple, in June (I've made a few other posts about our upcoming vacation). The wife component of this couple is completely psyched about WDW--in fact, she's the one who suggested this trip in the first place! Her husband, who is a VERY fun person in general, is not so excited. He is a self-proclaimed crowd-hater.

I'm looking for suggestions to boost his morale about WDW. We're doing the Dining Plan and have made some great ADRs, and we plan on taking midday breaks for rest and a breather from the crowd. We are also seeing La Nouba for a night away from the parks.

If you're wondering why we're going in June, when it'll be crowded...we're all teachers, and we don't get to take vacations while school's in session!

Thanks for any help INTERCOT!!!

mouseketeer mom
05-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Maybe plan a get together sometime soon, dinner, or snacks, drinks, whatever, and the Disney vacation planning DVD! I think it would help get anyone in the mood for a WDW trip.
Also, some people just don't get it, just don't feel any magic by others talking about it, if they haven't been there to experience it themselves. Its a bummer he's not joining in the excitment, but chances are he will once he gets there and sees truely for himself what its all about.

TheRustyScupper
05-14-2008, 09:00 PM
1) Some folks just do not get excited.
2) Of course, you can build up WDW to him.
3) Let him know that
. . . he is getting full-time Front-of-the-Line passes
. . . the crowds are very low
. . . you have ressies at CRT and Le Cellier
. . . the calories and carbs have been pulled from all the sweets
. . . he can ride from attraction-to-attraction so his feet won't be tired
. . . characters will be at the resorts and all meals
4) He won't be able to wait to go.

NOTE: OK, so a few "white lies". But, he will get the point once he is there.

KAT1811
05-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I would figure out the components of the trip that will excite him:

Does he like to dine or fine wine :wine: ?

Roller Coasters :coaster: ?

Fireworks :fworks: ? Maybe a fireworks cruise just your party.

Whatever his "thing" is find it and play it up :joy: .

Just concentrate on having a good time and if he is as much fun as you say he is he'll come around :pixie: .

P.S - We went in September with a group and two of them are not big fans of children (except our three, their nieces), crowds, lines, or the heat. Needless to say they spent quite a bit of time back at the resort and I do not think they will be visiting WDW anytime soon :huh: . The rest of us had a blast anyway :cloud9: .
(If you are wondering why they came along, all things considered, it was beacuse they wanted to spend the time in WDW with their nieces. The thought was there.)

wdwfan
05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Not sure of your budget, but what about a Segway tour. Those are a lot of fun, and no crowd. I think it's 85.00 per person, but if your AAA you get discount. DH & I are doing the Ft. Wilderness Back Trail this time and w/AAA it was $144.00 for both of us. We enjoyed the Epcot one give you a lot of history on the countries while your riding around. If it's something you want to do book now.

GrumpyFan
05-15-2008, 06:27 PM
Another thing you could do that's somewhat less crowded is the Campfire at Fort Wilderness. It can be a bit challenging to get to, but once you're there it's kinda fun.

Also, if he's really into no crowds, go to your resort's quiet pool for some nice relaxing down-time.

One more thing. Downtown Disney in the morning is very quiet and slow.

wdwcarrie
05-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I truly think that once we're there and he sees how amazing WDW is, he'll come around.

Once we get there, which attractions do you think would best get someone excited for Disney? Of course, I am having a hard time deciding, but I think if we start with some great attractions, it'll open his mind to all WDW has to offer.

I also hope our ADRs will be fun for us all. We're doing dinners at Boma, Coral Reef, Mama Melrose's (w/Fantasmic package), Ohana, Le Cellier, and San Angel Inn. I think we're going to check out the Boardwalk one night too.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks!

KAT1811
05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
We love the Adventurers Club in DTD. SO much fun!!!

I would take him on POTC, SplashMtn, BTMR, HM, then work your way around the park. I would avoid the Carpets and even Jungle Cruise. I think POTC for starters would be fun. Then move on from there.

mdhiggin
05-15-2008, 09:18 PM
We also are not crowd lovers, but we discovered something on our last trip during a busy season. We usually avoid the parks during those times and hang out at the hotel. On this trip, though, we got up late, like we usually do. We hung around the hotel pool, had lunch at our hotel, took an afternoon nap and then headed to the park. We probably didn't get to MK until 9PM. The EMHs that day were really late. It was open 'til 4 AM, I believe. We had the best time. We and our three kids were plenty rested to enjoy ourselves until the wee hours. We didn't leave until about 3 AM. It was absolutely a wonderful time, though. Even in the busy season, not many people are out that time of night and we got to do a lot without the lines and people.

katzctkpt
05-15-2008, 09:36 PM
I would start out early at the parks as soon as they open and avoid emh morning go to a different park that day. Stay in the parks until 12/1 head back to the resort for a swim or afternoon nap. Have early adr's then enjoy the parks at night. We've been in June 3 times and the last week was busier than we liked but manageable. I would imagine your friend will loosen up when he sees it for the 1st time.

LandFan
05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
JMHO:

He probably won't "get it" until he gets there. THere is just no good way to make someone experience the anticipation of something so huge when they haven't been there yet. When he does get there, he may or may not "get it" anyway - some people just don't.:(

I know someone who didn't "get it" until about two months after she got back. She slept in late a lot and didn't bother to do a whole lot while she was there, now she wants to go again!:confused: Go figure!

Everyone is different and it takes different amounts of time for the experience to click for different people.

Just be patient and do what you can (the above posts have some great advice!).

Dakota Rose
05-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I have panic attacks in crowds. I mean, if there's more than 3 people in line ahead of me at Wal-Mart, I break into a sweat. But, somehow I always manage to keep it together at WDW. I find browsing in the stores and taking in the less-popular shows helps. Crowds are definitely at their worst after parades and fireworks. Position yourselves near a store or attraction to take in as soon as the parade/fireworks are over so that you don't get caught in the cattle call. You might also want to consider renting a car and driving back and forth to the parks as the buses can get pretty crowded.

Momto3littlemice
05-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Hi there,

Well I have to admit that I am married to a non-Disney obsessive:secret:. However, my DH LOVES to see me (and our kids now) at Disney and that alone makes him enjoy the trip. He does really like the good restaurants and some of the thrillier rides (RocknRoller Coaster, Everest, etc) but the stuff that is just Disney nostalgia (that I love) like It's a Small World, Dumbo etc, he does with a smile purely because I am loving it!

I might suggest trying to see Fantasmic one of your first nights there (or even your very first night). Get there early and sit sort of near the back so you don't have to do the huge crowd at the end. Out of everything at WDW that one impresses DH the most. Other things that I think are hard to not be impressed by are Festival of the Lion King, Finding Nemo (the musical), Mission Space.

And, truly, he may never turn the corner to think of WDW like you do, but as long as he is going along with the crowd and not complaining just have a great time! :mickey:

irish1967
05-20-2008, 09:02 AM
I may just be that your friend is like my DH -

My DH loves our trips to WDW...

once we are there.

I once expressed concern to him about our regular trips to WDW because he didn't seem excited about our upcoming trip.

I actually suggested that if he would rather vacation somewhere else, we definitely could.

He responded, "No, I really love going to the beach and WDW on vacation - but right now I need to focus on getting everything done that I need to get done so that I can fully leave work behind and relax and truly enjoy being there."

FaithTrustPixieDust
05-27-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm following up on suggestion earlier in the thread . . find a couple of things that would light his fire and work them in. A tour might do the trick- learn a little about the Magic without waiting in a long boring line. My DH really enjoyed the Hidden Mickey book I gave him. He became quite obsessed and it gave him something to do while waiting in lines. The whole family got into it and found some not listed in the book. :mickey:

Hull-onian
05-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Kat, Your post was great. I can't think of another thing to ad to it.:D

KAT1811
05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Kat, Your post was great. I can't think of another thing to ad to it.:D

Thanks!!! :D