PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Spacebags?

MicMouse
05-14-2008, 11:06 AM
Has anyone ever used those Spacebags things? I was wondering if they work.

I'm trying to come up with space saving ideas for our June WDW trip, as we will be driving this time.
Hopefully I'll be able to get by with 3 suitcases, maybe less if those Spacebag things really work.

:mickey:

Strmchsr
05-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Never used them for a vacation, but I used them when I moved a couple of years ago and they worked great. I got my entire wardrobe into 1 box!

mdhiggin
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
They work, but you need a vacuum cleaner. How could you bring the stuff back home in them? They do have some travel bags that are small and don't require a vacuum. They hold very little, though. You have to roll them to remove the air. I've sent them with my son for an overnight with a friend. It fit in his backpack at school. I'm not sure if they have a larger size that doesn't require a vacuum.

DisneyBunch5
05-14-2008, 12:55 PM
They also have ones which do not need a vacuum cleaner, right? Does anyone have any experience with that kind?

Tinkerfreak
05-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I bought some of the ones you don't need a vaccum for and they worked ok but I have found that just using the regular ziploc bags with the zipper gripper tab on top works just as good and are alot cheaper. They even make the Ziploc big bags now. I just put all of our clothes in seperate bags shirts in one, undies in another, socks in another (you get the idea) then I pull the tab almost all the way closed leaving just enough of a hole to squish all of the air out and then zip it up the rest of the way. Then when I get to the resort not only was I able to fit more in the suitcase but I just pull out the bags and place them in the drawer. I just pull out the outfit I am wearing for the next day ahead of time and let the wrinkles come out and I'm good to go. It helps save room in the suitcase by compacting everything, it helps me keep the drawers organized and I like not putting clothes directly into the drawers. I always put a few empty ones in my suitcase for the mini mickey shampoo and lotions etc that we all bring home with us to make sure if one opens I don't have a messy suitcase. Also if you swim right before you leave you have a bag for the wet stuff. I also put any dirty laundry we have in the plastic bags so the clean does not get mixed with the dirty.

MuchLovedMama
05-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I've tried them several times. The ones with the vacuum & the ones that you just roll up. I'd say out of about 8 times using it, it worked maybe 1 or 2 times. I've not been successfull with them & I have the name brand ones. Hope you have better luck if you try them.

Taja
05-14-2008, 02:05 PM
I've used both Space Bags and another brand--less expensive and works just as well for my purposes.

They do work well for me, but my friend has problems with them. I pack flat, she packs stacks. Stacks do not work in the compression bags! *LOL*

Just be sure to check the weight of your luggage very carefully when using compression bags. You can easily exceed the weight limit! *eek*

hnybear22
05-14-2008, 11:13 PM
I used the spacebag travel bags and the x-large ziplock bags last year for our Disney trip!!
I was able to pack 10 days worth of clothes for me, DH & DD(10) into one large suitcase, one small roll around and one carry on size for meds/makeup/liquids etc.
My DH really got a kick out of my packing method for the ziplocks - lay out the stuff in the bags, zip the bag almost closed then LAY ON TOP OF IT to squish out the air, and laugh histerically while you are doing it!!
The Ziplocks seem to work better for me and were alot cheaper than the spacebags!!
I am starting to pack for our next trip (140 days and counting) :thumbsup:and will definatley be using the squish and laugh method again !!

KineGirl
05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
Ive had mixed results with them- both kinds. When they have worked though Ive surprised myself at how heavy they are! They work great for storage (again when they work) but I would be afraid of going over the weight limit on a plane... its very easy afterall you CAN fit alot in those things!