PDA

View Full Version : Should I bring a stroller?

RockinRollerMom
05-14-2008, 12:26 AM
This will be the first trip that I am planning on DD walking for the trip. Last year she was 7 and we rented a stroller for her the whole trip. She did walk a lot, but we are the commando type and by the end of the trip she really needed. This year she will be 8 and I wasn't planning on bringing one at all. This will be her 4th trip and we were planning on slowing down the pace a little for her. But I always had the back up plan of renting one if I had to. Now with the price increase I am contemplating maybe bringing one. Hopefully I wouldn't need one, but if I did I wouldn't end up spending a fortune for one. She hasn't used one at home for years so I would have to buy one special for the trip. (I would either sell it or give it away when I got home.)

So what do you think? Should I wing it and save myself the aggravation of bringing one and hope she doesn't need one? Also, she is not a small child either (tall and around 80lbs) If I do decide to bring one does any-one have suggestions? In the small amount of research I have done it looks like the only ones she would fit in would be a jogging stroller.

What would you do?

KineGirl
05-14-2008, 12:45 AM
I personally, would let her walk at this point. Commando style or no. She seems plenty big enough IMO and why not spend that (stroller) money on some (more fun) souven-ears? :mickey:

biodtl
05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
I'd probably leave it at home. Since she walked a lot last year, she'll probably be fine this year.

I'm not making judgement on using a stoller, but the kind of stroller you would need to fit her would most likely be large and difficult to deal with on the buses.

cal5755
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM
We are a commando family....Kids far outlast the adults. I am talking open and close the parks several time during our week vacation. Last year I brought a stroller for our youngest DD who was 4. It ended up staying at the hotel room after the first day. She herself said she didn't want it and she walked the entire time. This year we will not be bothering with one. IMO I would say forget it. My older DD was 4 our first trip and she only used the stroller once or twice and that was at my strong pleading (we had a double...baby was 6 mo). I say let her walk at this age...I am sure she will do fine... Kids have far more energy then we do anyway lol. Plus you won't have to struggle at the bus with folding and opening....I found that to be so awesome at the end of the night. Just grab a hand or two and board the bus.

Have a Magical Trip

scootch713
05-14-2008, 08:54 AM
You can always get a wheelchair.. they are about $10 I think. That is always my backup plan if one of my kids isn't feeling well as I take them alone.

Disney Doll
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I'd leave it at home. You could rent if you absolutely have to, but by 8 she should be able to handle the parks. Would she even be willing to be pushed around in a stroller at age 8?

RockinRollerMom
05-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks all for your posts. I have decided to leave the stroller at home. I think it was just such of a security blanket type of thing for me. Even if I did bring it the plan was for her to walk. I was just worried about the what if scenarios. If she gets a bad blister or something unforseen happens, I will swallow my pride and rent. You are all right, she will be fine. I think I just need reassurance of that. I always know that I can count on my intercot friends!:rocks:

kakn7294
05-14-2008, 01:34 PM
My younger DD has been walking the parks since she was 5 and she's done fine. When she was 7, my sister rented a double stroller for my niece who was sick and my little mooch managed to snag a free ride in it the entire trip but she didn't need it (and hey, if you could get a free ride all day long, wouldn't you do the same?). If you are truly worried about blisters, I can relate to that. My older DD gets blisters every trip but this year we're trying a Dr Scholl's for Women product that's supposed to prevent shoe-rubbing - I assume it's similar to Bodyglide (which I can't find locally). It comes in a small stick that I can throw in my bag to carry with us. I found it at Walmart if you're interested in looking for it.