PDA

View Full Version : Rock City and Mammoth Caves

DisnIse
05-13-2008, 11:07 PM
After driving to and from Orlando about 40 times in my life, we're finally going to stop and see places along the way that we always say, "sometime we should stop here..."

I was on the website for Rock City and Lookout Mountain. I think we're actually going to stop on either side of the trip.

Has anyone ever been? Any idea how long to plan to stay?

Sunshine1010
05-14-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm from Chattanooga. Rock City is fun. It takes a few hours to get through it. Lookout Mountain is also 'famous' for RUBY FALLS and THE INCLINE. You can do all 3 in one day....but that would be rushing it, and you would have to start early in the morning. If you have AAA, you can get a discount.

jsw123
05-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Rock City is beautiful! I totally recommend it. I got teased when we went (on the way to Florida) because it is a tacky tourist attraction. Not so! It is really beautiful, and, if you have young children, the fairy tale land is a hit! Get a bird house!:blush:

Your post mentioned Mammoth Caves in the subject. That's not exactly on the way down 75, but it is a wonderful and inexpensive park to visit. One of the most incredible cave systems in the world. Tours for all abilities and interests. Near there, Kentucky Down Under is an Australian themed wildlife park that we have enjoyed. I love taking time on the way to a big destination. It breaks up the trip and opens up new opportunities!

DisnIse
05-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I think we're going to skip Six Flags (another post of mine in this section) and just do more of the "natural" attractions!
Thanks, everyone!

disneydeb
05-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Lookout Mountain is a Civil War Battlefield. The views from the top are awesome.:thumbsup: Ruby Falls takes you through a n easy walk through a lit cave till you reach the falls area, and with the rain we've been having lately, the falls should be pretty.
Rock City is fun especially if you have young children and the vista views there are awesome.:thumbsup:

Chattanooga is a great place for a long weekend vacation for people living in about a 150 mile radius. The aquarium there is wonderful!

mac badger
05-17-2008, 11:21 AM
i really like rock city. its just so old fashioned, i like going to places that my grandparents went to on vacation. also, if you just happen to be travelling with your dog, they are allowed in as well (on a leash of course) i swear our dog bosco remembers this place every year. she gets so excited when we pull up. hates the swinging rope bridge though, but so does my dh so they take the solid walking bridge

mouselover93
05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
i've been to mammoth cave and love it

RenDuran
05-20-2008, 07:22 AM
Rock City is a lot of fun...we have some great pictures of our visit there! Plus, who can resist a Rock City birdhouse? I have mine hanging over the kitchen sink so I can always see it!

andreallybadeggs
05-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Enjoyed Rock City as a youngster. As an adult, thought Ruby Falls was a rip-off.

tink2006
05-22-2008, 03:39 PM
We are from Indianapolis, IN area. We have stopped at the Corvette museum (great couple of hours), Mammoth Cave (did not like too much). Very much out of the route, the Space Museum (where the space camp is) was AWESOME.