PDA

View Full Version : Ugggh!! In-Laws bought Time Share but not DVC!

jakeybake
05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Just found out today that my in-laws who send our family to WDW each year (for the kids of course!) bought a time share at the Marriott Royal Palms.

I know it sounds selfish but I'm not happy about it. The best part of our stay each year is the resort we stay in (Beach Club) and we have never dreamed of staying anywhere off site. Now I feel like we will have to stay at Royal Palms each trip and the resort is everything to us. I know nothing about the resort except that they paid $15,000 for it.

It's eating my wife and I up that they could of spent a bit more and bought into the DVC.

Anyone know anything about staying off-site or more specifically about the Royal Palms? Any info appreciated!

Please help talk me off of the ledge!!

Jay

TheRustyScupper
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
1) It is their buy so let it alone.
2) Besides, some don't want All-Disney-All-The-Time for vacations.
3) After even only a few years, Disney can wear thin.
4) Besides, Disney DVC's don't have a lot going, other than being at WDW.
5) On either sunny or rainy days, the list of activities at the resorts are slim.

NOTE: We still have some OKW points, but we moved all of our other timeshare weeks to Orange Lake Country Club in Kissimmee. If we wish, we don't even have to leave the timeshare resort. They have 99-holes of golf, an 80-acre lake, several pools, two water parks, Putt-Putt, boating, sailing, ski-doos, nightly adult and family parties, several eateries, daily bingo, scheduled activities from 9:00am thru 7:00pm.

MidnTPK
05-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I sort-of know where you're coming from, but can't help on your specific questions.

My in-laws are mostly are not Disney-philes. In the past few years, my MIL has planned two family vacations to Europe. Having visited several times, and being in an industry where I'll occasionally have to travel to Europe, I really had/have no interest in going on the trips. Add in that the first one stressed my generally good relationship with my BILs and SILs, and I really did not want to go on the second (which stressed our good relationship again).

The issue I have is that I basically feel like I did them favors by going on the trips. But they have no sense of this feeling because it would be very upsetting to my MIL if I ever brought this up. But it is so grating to me when she talks about trips she wants to go on, but is so completely dismissive of the vacations that me, her daughter, and granddaughter go on once or twice a year (to places like WDW or Atlantis in the Bahamas). She has no idea that it is so upsetting to me.

So we're in the same boat: our in-laws think they are doing us a favor, but we don't see it that way.

My solution with my wife has been that I will not go on one of her trips again....none are planned at the moment, but my wife and daughter may go if one does, but not me. I pay for my trips that I want to take myself. You might have to as well.

If you think staying on-site is that important (I do), make clear that you'll all be together for the trip, just not stay at the same place.

gerald72
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
You could just pay for your own vacation.

MidnTPK
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
You could just pay for your own vacation.

I'm sure that only part of the issue.

But the fact is that the poster spent his vacation time with his/her in-laws, and they either ignored his opinion on this matter, don't understand him, didn't ask for his opinion, or went ahead with the purchase anyway despite the concerns....none of which is good for the relationship.

And paying your own way is one solution, but the in-laws will likely be offended. And son-in-law will look (and probably feel) like an ingrate when he does this.

If the in-laws wanted their children's families to be part of these future vacations, they should have initiated a discussion, not just went ahead with it because they wanted to and/or assumed that the children would do what their parents told them to.

As you can see, this discussion is hitting close to home for me. I hope hearing someone else in a similar situation will help him feel better.

MickeyMousse
05-13-2008, 01:59 PM
If this is the one that I am thinking of, it is not too far from the WDW gates. It is located over by the outlets. My DH and I toured it while we were living in Orlando...we saw a beautiful golf course and pool and the rooms were very nice. They were doing alot of construction of a new phase when we were there (1/06). I know you are disappointed that it's not DVC, but you're not too far away from the magic.

I have stayed primarily at DVC's since we bought in 2002. However, I have also used it for my family members at The Saratoga in Lk George, The Mandarin Oriental in Washington DC and The Keystone Resort in Colorado and enjoy the choice of staying somewhere other than Disney when need be. Maybe that's what your in laws wanted.

Take a deep breath, you'll be fine! Now, back away from the ledge....

SBETigg
05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
I think your in-laws were probably trying to do a nice thing for everyone, and it could still work out. I've seen trip reports from people staying there and the reviews were glowing. Maybe you could do a split stay, the timeshare to please your in-laws and a week on your own to enjoy the Beach Club?

In-Laws are under no obligation to consider your opinion in the matter of how they spend their vacation dollars, of course, but it is unfortunate for you to feel that you're losing out on the Beach Club.

5fromabove
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
I think the idea of a split stay is a great idea. You may find that you enjoy some time with just your immediate family. The IL's can have some of the "family time" they have come to enjoy (and perhaps expect) and you can also go where you want to go and do what you want to do. While they are entitled to buy where they want, you are entitled to spend your vacation doing/staying where you like. Hope it works out for you. I'm sure you feel stuck in the middle.

JMTStone
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
My inlaws have also planned and paid for 2 family vacations. Both of them were not really "for us". My kids had little or nothing to do. On one of them, every night a 3 hour 6-course dinner for a 4 year old? Needless to say I also felt like it was a chore rather than a vacation.

Step away from the ledge. At least you're CLOSE to the magic. You could be in some hoity-toity place for adults trying to ask your 4 year old to be patient for the millionth time.

I think some long weekends on your own INSIDE THE MAGIC are in order.

jakeybake
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, my in-laws are wonderful people and only had our best interests in mind. My only issue is that they are a bit clueless on all things WDW (I do all the planning for our yearly trips) and I wish they had asked me before jumping in.

They are doing this for my children which is great. I have resisted their offers of WDW trips in the past because they are just too good to us and spending upwards of $6k on a trip just seems excessive to me but as my wife says, "they do it because they want to and they can" so I do cave every now and then for the good of the family.

I love my in-laws, just not crazy about the decision they made!

Jay

faline
05-13-2008, 04:10 PM
To be honest, if someone treated me to a Disney World vacation on a regular basis, I'd be ecstatic - regardless of where I was staying!

Gator
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
You don't have to spend every waking moment with the in-laws, and your mad? That would have made one of my recent vacations a lot better.

KineGirl
05-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Blasphemy! LOL but seriously..

you could always buy into DVC yourself :mickey: You might be surprised how reasonable some of the resales (especially at OKW) are. My first timeshare was DVC and I love it the most but a few years and a couple of trips to Mexico, Bahamas & such we bought into another timeshare as well due to its flexibility of travel options (and no exp. dates) & because we really enjoy resort vacays. Maybe thats what your inlaws were thinking - Disney+everywhere else... for you and them. I dont know how much they travel but maybe they want to go other places than Disney sometimes. I know its frustrating but try to remember that they had everyones best interest in mind.

SBETigg
05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
I love my in-laws, just not crazy about the decision they made!

I defintely understand your frustration. You're the Disney expert, and it's a big purchase that could have been even better for everyone had they consulted you on it. It's a shame they didn't ask your opinion first.

Medland
05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
My inlaws recently took us to Vegas with a trial-period non-disney timeshare...not sure if I can flame it by name on these boards, so PM me if you want the name.
While the in-laws experiences in Gatlinburg and Orlando were positive with the outfit...the Vegas location was dingy, dirty, and recently bought out by one of the bigger Vegas chains so demolition on neighboring buildings had already started. We were next to a fenced off empty lot and had to enter the buildings from a poorly lit alley 2 blocks from the strip and did not feel safe. We ended up moving to the Embassy Suites Vegas across from Hard Rock and had a very nice stay there. The "new" location that the property was moving to was an obviously old hotel that was being "refurbished" by spackling the massively cracked stucco and had not been painted yet so we could see things were not going to get much better. They will not be rebuying into the timeshare outfit. I hope that if they repeat their experience they will go with Marriott or DVC or some other recognizable name that can be trusted for quality.

PetefromRI
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
One of my younger brothers has a timeshare at the Marriott Grande Vista in Orlando and let me tell you that it's awesome.We went last year for our first off grounds Disney trip and realized that there's a little town called Orlando right near Disney World that has a lot of things to do and some great restaurant choices.We will deffinately go back to the Marriott again and checking the prices,I could get a 3 bedroom villa for less than a room at the Poly.Don't write it off yet,you may be very surprised at how nice these timeshares are!:thumbsup:

gerald72
05-14-2008, 12:26 AM
To be honest, if someone treated me to a Disney World vacation on a regular basis, I'd be ecstatic - regardless of where I was staying!

There's always the option of staying home.
I think whoever pays for it, calls the shots.

merlinmagic4
05-14-2008, 07:18 AM

:ditto: I'd be grateful.

JoDisney
05-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I am sure they picked a place they preferred. It is their money. They earned their money and are entitled to choose where they would want to spend their money. If you think about it, if you were in the same position you would choose where you would want to spend your money. If it is that much of a disappointment after all these years at Disney on their tab, pay for your own vacation at Disney and then you will be at the place you want to be and they will still have their resort of choice. Be happy and excited for them. They deserve it.

Gottaluvgoof
05-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I hate to say it, but you seem a little spoiled to me. I wish my in-laws would take me on ANY vacation. I've always had to pay for my own. I don't think I would complain, no matter where we were going, if I didn't have to pay.

jakeybake
05-14-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm far from spoiled. As I said earlier I appreciate everything they do for us as a family. My issue is that they aren't knowledeable on all things Disney. They decided to to this on their own and yes it is their money and they can do what they want with it. My gripe is that I think I could of helped them make a more educated decision.

And to the poster who said I should just pay for my own vacation, I do. Every year I take my family on vacation. The yearly WDW trip is from my in-laws to my children and my wife and I are along for the ride.

The direct quote from my mother in law when she told my wife of the purchase was, "Maybe now Jay won't fight us tooth and nail about spending money each year on a Disney Vacation".

Further proof that I'm not spoiled.

Jay

MidnTPK
05-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I hate to say it, but you seem a little spoiled to me. I wish my in-laws would take me on ANY vacation. I've always had to pay for my own. I don't think I would complain, no matter where we were going, if I didn't have to pay.

For some folks, it's not about the money or who pays......its about the time.

I can only take so much time off work. Doing something I don't want to do means I can't do something else I really DO want to do. A WDW trip to me means staying on property, or not going. Staying off-site is not what I want to do.

Even if you have all the money in the world, you can't buy more time. So the spoiled comment is a bit out-of-line.

Disney Doll
05-14-2008, 12:33 PM

Probably because you've never vacationed with the inlaws. ;) It's not as great as it seems although maybe if my MIL was paying I could tolerate her better. :D

I think MidnTPK hit the nail on the head. Taking time away from work is very hard for a lot of people so vacation time is really a precious commodity. I too would be a little irritated about staying off-site. No matter how nice it is, it's not Disney and I come to WDW to be immersed in Disney magic. Yes it is very, very nice to be offered a free stay in an Orlando resort, BUT if that's not how you like to spend your vacation it's kind of unfortunate that someone else has made the decision and now will expect you to go along. Of course it is even more difficult since this is family. It's a very nice gift and it would be very hard to just pay for your own vacation or do your own thing without hurting feelings. I like the idea of a split stay. A few days with the inlaws at their timeshare may be just enough togetherness although it will have to be done very tactfully if you are to avoid looking ungrateful. If it were me I'd be a little irritated, but I'd probably just go along and try to make the best of it for kids. I'd spend as much time as possible at the parks so hopefully I'd barely notice the time I spent sleeping at a non-Disney resort. :mickey:

diz_girl
05-14-2008, 01:31 PM
I also agree that the spoiled comment is a bit out of line.

Yes, I agree that the in-laws are being very generous, but with that generosity comes a sense of obligation on your part, which I gather is why you may have a problem with them spending so much $ on the annual WDW vacation. When offering to take someone on vacation, the offeror should still have some consideration for the preferences of whom they're taking on vacation. And in buying the timeshare, your in-laws have taken away you're (and also their daughter's) vacation choices. No EMH, no dining plan (including free dining in September), no DME, etc. There's a difference between generosity and consideration. They are being generous, but maybe not as considerate as they might think.

The split stay does seem like a good idea. It's their timeshare, so you'll feel like a guest in their home, rather than being able to sit back and relax like you would in your own space. However, if you try that, you may get the "we bought the timeshare so you could enjoy it" spiel. But you never asked them to buy it, and their actions have now obligated you to do something that you may not have wanted to do. It may be tough to tell them that, and maybe your wife already has, but it might be something that they need to hear. Tactfully, of course.

As for other comments about not caring about where you're staying or staying with the in-laws, as long as you're at WDW. You couldn't pay me enough money to get me to go on vacation with my MIL, even if it was to WDW. My SIL went on a cruise with her and SIL needed a haircut so she got one at the salon on board, called Ship-to-Shore. Well, the statement was slipped under the door and MIL saw it and thought that SIL was buying things on the ship and sending them to her friends back home. MIL gave SIL the cold shoulder for three days, mumbling "sending things from ship to shore" until my SIL finally figured out why she was getting the silent treatment. She's a wackaloon. Try going on vacation with that.

She's also a princess who assumes that because she's being 'generous' that you should show sufficient gratitude and bite your tongue. I don't think so. You can take the girl out of Philly, but you can't take the Philly out of the girl.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Von-Drake
05-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I can understand the feeling of obligation if they have always been so generous in the past, but plan a vacation down there and make reservations for an on-site hotel and tell them right before you go. Then let them know your family just prefers staying on site with all the benefits, tell them you can still meet them in the parks for meals, rides, etc... It is their timeshare, their money, who is anyone else who thinks they should tell them where to buy one and where to spend it. Seems like you got t o experience a lot of generosity from them in the past, be thankful for it, let them do what they want with their money and plan YOUR Disney vacations, not their Florida vacation.

momof3+twins
05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Find reasons that you can't go with them at the times they pick. Or just be honest. I know that they think the got this great thing. BUT, they should have asked you first if they really wanted you to stay with them.
I too would not want to stay offsite.
Good Luck!!

MidnTPK
05-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Probably because you've never vacationed with the inlaws. ;)

Exactly....

They are being generous, but maybe not as considerate as they might think.

Exactly again...the perfect way of putting it.

Gottaluvgoof
05-14-2008, 03:46 PM
For some folks, it's not about the money or who pays......its about the time.

I can only take so much time off work. Doing something I don't want to do means I can't do something else I really DO want to do. A WDW trip to me means staying on property, or not going. Staying off-site is not what I want to do.

Even if you have all the money in the world, you can't buy more time. So the spoiled comment is a bit out-of-line.

He says he takes his family on other vacations, so it doesn't seem to me the problem is time. I just think it is their money. They should do with it as they please. So, take a vacation with the in laws and then pay for your own vacation on Disney property. I guarantee you, someone who has NEVER been to Disney, because they could not afford it, would totally agree with the spoiled comment. I'm sorry, just the way I see it. Sometimes it seems on Intercot, if you don't agree with everyone, you're bad. I'm just telling it like I see it. Sorry.

jakeybake
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Your free to disagree with me, no argument from me there at all. Disagreement and varying opinions are what make these boards great.

I just think you cross the line when you call someone you don't know "spoiled". I'm far from spoiled. I'm a self made man with a beautiful family (DW, DS 10, DD 6) who has everything I have from hard work. No college education or silver spoon here. Had to work like a dog for everything I have. I'm not comfortable with my in-laws purchasing vacations or time shares for my family but they do it because they love my kids and have the finances to do so.

For every trip I have reluctuntly accepted I have shot down 10, believe me.

Keep the opposing comments coming, just keep the insulting comments out.

Jay

Catzle
05-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Don't forget you can always trade a week of their time to one on Disney property through Interval International. It's a good way to have a time share and be able to visit all kinds of places everywhere not just be locked into one place.
So you could stay a week there and than one on Disney property through a trade. Just give yourself enough time, usually 6 months, to get things set up and to be able to make a trade. We did it last year with my sister in laws timeshare and stayed at the WL, it was great and a great way try different resorts.

NJGIRL
05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
We own a timeshare that is 3 miles from the Disney gate and love it. It's has much much more room than a Disney hotel and is very nice. Try it out, you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

I have stayed onsite also and believe me staying at a Disney property does not make our vacations any better. It's just something we do from time to time to make a different vacation. Staying off site will not ruin your vacation time just like getting a bad meal at a Disney restaurant shouldn't ruin it. Only you and your family set the tone for your vacations.

Mousemates
05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
She's a wackaloon.

I have many family members that I now have a new describer word for...:thumbsup:

As for people thinking someone is spoiled just because they aren't jumping for joy over a gift from an inlaw...well, be careful about calling folks spoiled, because truth be told most of us probably have more than a few unappreciated gifts from the in-laws hidden away in our attics and hall closets. :blush:

As for me, I understand where the thread's author is coming from because I'm more in the "on-property or bust" group. The complete magic immersion and convenience of being "in the World" are what makes a Disney vacation a disney vacation to me....take that away and I'd rather be at the beach or Yellowstone.

I have no real desire at all for an Orlando vacation...nothing against Orlando, we enjoy some other things while we're there...but Disney is THE reason we do central Florida.

I also totally get the time thing...my vacation time is like gold to me (I've turned down raises in the past in exchange for an extra week of vacation). Money can be replaced with a bit of effort, time when its gone is forever lost.

:twocents:

MidnTPK
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
I guarantee you, someone who has NEVER been to Disney, because they could not afford it, would totally agree with the spoiled comment.

This reminds me of a Simpsons episode when Mayor Quimby calls the French 'frogs'....his reply is "I stand by my racial slur"

Anyway...just because he goes on other vacations doesn't mean that he wants to spend his time at WDW in an off-site timeshare.

And yes, the in-laws can do with their money what they please. But the MIL explicitly said this purchase was to bring HIS family to for vacations. As a previous poster said:

They are being generous, but maybe not as considerate as they might think.

Aurora
05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Think of it this way -- if you already take your family on vacations, and your in-laws are doing this for your kids, then take it as a present to your kids, not to you. A gift is a gift.

I agree with the other posters -- use some of the time at the Marriott, and pay for the rest of the trip onsite. Maybe they bought at the Marriott knowing you could use it in Orlando as well as other places (and they can too). So they probably thought it was a great plan that would make everyone happy.

Gottaluvgoof
05-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Your free to disagree with me, no argument from me there at all. Disagreement and varying opinions are what make these boards great.

I just think you cross the line when you call someone you don't know "spoiled". I'm far from spoiled. I'm a self made man with a beautiful family (DW, DS 10, DD 6) who has everything I have from hard work. No college education or silver spoon here. Had to work like a dog for everything I have. I'm not comfortable with my in-laws purchasing vacations or time shares for my family but they do it because they love my kids and have the finances to do so.

For every trip I have reluctuntly accepted I have shot down 10, believe me.

Keep the opposing comments coming, just keep the insulting comments out.

Jay

First of all, I didn't say, you ARE spoiled, I actually used the word "Seem." There is a difference. Anyway, my point was, maybe you shouldn't complain about a gift. My in laws actually were divorced. My FIL is not much of a father to my husband. My MIL at the young age of 69, actually passed away last September, while I, and my children were at Disney World. Anyway, one of her dying wishes was for DH and I to take a trip to Hawaii with whatever money we received from her estate. Hawaii isn't my choice of vacations honestly, but I will go because that is what she wished. So, basically, you should be glad you have such generous in laws, and they are there to spoil your children however they wish. You and your family are very lucky to have them.

MidnTPK
05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
A gift is a gift.

Anyway, my point was, maybe you shouldn't complain about a gift.
Well, this isn't exactly a gift...it's a something else with strings attached. They didn't give the timeshare to the poster. He's not free to do with it whatever he pleases (as he would be with a gift).

MickeyMousse
05-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Jakeybake, I just give you alot of credit. I couldn't vacation with my in-laws if my life depended on it! :noway:

Gottaluvgoof
05-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Well, this isn't exactly a gift...it's a something else with strings attached. They didn't give the timeshare to the poster. He's not free to do with it whatever he pleases (as he would be with a gift).

OH BROTHER!!!! All I can tell you is, if someone bought a time share, and offered it to me and my family for a week, I would consider it a gift. OH i forgot, the strings attached, were I had to go to Disney World....darn the luck! And heaven forbid they pay for that too!

MidnTPK
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
OH BROTHER!!!! All I can tell you is, if someone bought a time share, and offered it to me and my family for a week, I would consider it a gift. OH i forgot, the strings attached, were I had to go to Disney World....darn the luck! And heaven forbid they pay for that too!
I guess this gets us back to the time versus money debate. And how important some of us consider staying on-site is.

I don't want to go somewhere I don't want to go, just because it's 'free'. You seem to not be able to get beyond the 'money' aspect of this...which is understandable, but many people think differently.

I'm perfectly willing to pay for things I want to do and I consider valuable. I'm not willing to spend my time on things I don't want to do, even if it has no monetary cost for me...it has other costs which I can't get back...i.e. time.

crazeedizneefinatic
05-15-2008, 01:52 PM
I can see both sides of the coin really. When we do Disney we like to do it our way but we also are responsible with the charges. You mentioned that you do take a family vacation that you are able to plan and do what you want. Just try and consider this "extra" vacation as a bonus. You did mention that it was mainly for the kids and you and your wife were along for the ride. Do it for the kids, hopefully they won't catch a negative vibe from anyone about the genorosity of their grandparents. It truly is a blessed gift for them to spend time with their grandchildren and to boot pay for everyone involved.

I agree with another poster who said they could not spend a vacation with their inlaws. I agree! My inlaws never even come around, it breaks my heart. My son always asks about them. He sees them maybe at Christmas. Very sad part is that they live less than a mile from us. It has always been one sided. We really wanted our son to have a relationship with my husbands parent and tried the first few years until we got the message. Now on the other hand my parents make up for whatever he lacks on his dad's side. Try to look at this not as a decision made for you. Think of it as quality time spent for your kids sake. That is worth more than having control over where you vacation. Some kids have never even stepped inside WDW. Count your blessings that you and your inlaws are able to give that to them.

By the way are they adopting?? LOL

Mousemates
05-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I think that perhaps something that might need to be considered here is the fact that we're not talking about going off property once to keep peace with the inlaws...remember timeshares last a long time...and as you read the thread by Jakeybake realize his family likely now has an expectation of him doing Disney this way for a long, long time.

In the posts he has said he appreicated the gesture which the gift represented, but seemed to wish that his inlaws, in a gift that was going to be as chronologically durable as this one, had gotten a little feedback from the people who it appears were meant to be the intended recipients.

Yes, it nice to have the surprise factor in giving something to someone...but on a big ticket gift the risk you take is that sometimes you miss the mark. White elephant gifts can come in all sizes and with widely varied price tags. As, I said in an earlier post most of us have some in our closets (and may have even regifted a few over the years :blush:). The fact that this one was very pricey doesn't change the dynamic of the situation to me.

Hopefully, my final :twocents: :)

Little Round Bale
05-15-2008, 05:00 PM
First let me say I am NOT familiar with timeshares. My family and I love to stay in Disney Resorts, and have always stayed on site. Up until now we would never consider staying offsite. Due to the economy we are toying with the idea, mainly we rent a car at the airport and can move about easily from park to park. I do wonder about parking cost though.

We spend most the time in the parks so I am not sure this would be much of an issue. One possible positive about this timeshare is the ability to stay in other locations in the US that DVC doesn't.

When I think of a vacation I do think Disney first. BUT my DD and I have had the incredible experience to go to Canada, NYC and in June we are going to Australia!! But Disney is still the vacation spot we love.

If it is not a long trip maybe it will not be too bad. Use your extreme Disney knowledge to help make it work if you go. I would hate to see you miss a Disney trip with your DW and DD because of this. And I agree that break away and book a day or two or three at one of the resorts.

I wish you extreme luck in this matter and tons and tons of pixie dust. :tink:

Gottaluvgoof
05-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I think that perhaps something that might need to be considered by those who have been a bit on the critical side here is the fact that we're not talking about going off property once to keep peace with the inlaws...remember timeshares last a long time...and as you read the thread by Jakeybake realize his family likely now has an expectation of him doing Disney this way for a long, long time.

In the posts he has said he appreicated the gesture which the gift represented, but seemed to wish that his inlaws, in a gift that was going to be as chronologically durable as this one, had gotten a little feedback from the people who it appears were meant to be the intended recipients.

Yes, it nice to have the surprise factor in giving something to someone...but on a big ticket gift the risk you take is that sometimes you miss the mark. White elephant gifts can come in all sizes and with widely varied price tags. As, I said in an earlier post most of us have some in our closets (and may have even regifted a few over the years :blush:). The fact that this one was very pricey doesn't change the dynamic of the situation to me.

Hopefully, my final :twocents: :)

I guess I'm just a different breed. I was always taught not to "Look a gift horse in the face." :horse: Maybe the in-laws didn't choose the right location, or maybe they did, because they want to use it in other locations. To me, it was their choice to do whatever they wanted. Maybe it's not just for trips to Disney. Yes, it is a big ticket item, and to me, that is EXACTLY why it should have been their decision. If it were me, I would take their free trip to Disney, then if I really felt a need to go and stay at a Disney resort, I would use my money for another trip. I don't see the problem with going to Disney twice a year. :mickey: I'm sorry, but no one will ever convince me that this is a bad gift. It's just the way I look at gifts, I guess. I would be very grateful. I might joke to my husband, "Darn I wish it were a DVC," but that would be it. I guess I just don't get it. :confused:

andreallybadeggs
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Not your exact situation but a similar one.
My family was generously gifted with a timeshare 15 years ago by my wonderful parents. They had purchased a lot when I was just a little girl, realized they would never do anything with it and traded it for a timeshare
at a resort about 3 hours from our home--
1,000 miles from WDW.
I can tell you we have enjoyed that gift enormously and have countless priceless family memories because of it. AND-- we have never used our week at our home resort. (That flies in the face of conventional wisdom but since we did not have to pay for it in the first place it has worked for us) We have been blessed to take family and friends to Canada, Spain, Scotland, Mexico, Arizona, California, Georgia,
etc...oh and YES... ORLANDO...multiple times.
So here's what I'm thinking:
1) You have been blessed-- enjoy it. You will have some fabulous family times in Orlando and perhaps many other places you never thought you'd visit.
2) It is possible to have your Disney cake and eat it, too. Many times we've stayed off property and loved it. Other trips we've paid for ourselves and stayed on property-- loved that too. A few times we've done our traded week off but added a few extra days at one of the resorts...also fantastic.
It's all good. Tell those kids they have fabulous grandparents and head to Orlando with a song in your heart.:mickey:

OogieBoogieMan
05-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Wow, looks like you got a few more comments than you requested. I can't speak for Royal Palms but I can vouch for giving change a chance. We bought a home outside Disney after staying on site for a number of years and eventually buying a DVC. We loved the idea of a home but were also really nervous about being "offsite". It has worked out really well for us though and I don't regret it at all. I obviously can't say if it will go that way for you, but give it a shot and see what happens. Offsite has worked out just fine for us.

Pirate Granny
05-16-2008, 09:05 PM
OK...I wasn't going to respond...but I just had to check...Your in-laws spent $15,000...the Beach Club for Adventure Season (lowest cost) for a two bedroom (assuming that's what you stayed in) is 270 points a week...the Dream season runs 350 points a week. To purchase a DVC at the Beach Club at $94 a point is approx $25,000 for Adventure Season and $33,600 for Dream Season. That's before closing costs and yearly maintenance fees, which are $7 to $9 a point...

It's not hard to figure out why the in-laws may have decided to buy an off-site disney property. Did they ever talk about possibly buying a time share...were they possibly waiting to see if you would like to split the cost of a time-share?

And to those who suggested switching to the Disney Time share...I've tried for five years with zero luck...my family has a TS in Key West and we can swap for a Kissimmee location, but never have been able to switch to Disney...
:pirate:

Mrs.Mickey
05-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Well, just to answer yoour one question. My SIL worked for marriot and we got the time shares (you can rent them out) for about 29 a night at the Marriot royal Palms. It is a very nice place to stay I loved it everytime. And while it isnt the same as staying on property it did have its perks. Like having your parking spot right outside the front door. Also in regaurds to how far it was from disney you can watch the DTD fireworks from the timeshare property. Hope this helps!

pixie1958
05-17-2008, 04:28 PM
We are DVC members that also own a Marriott timeshare. There are some big advantages to owning both. With DVC you can't be a full member of II (Interval International - the exchange company for Marriott, DVC, Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin). Once we bought our Marriott, we were able to become full members of II and take advantage of their "cash" Getaway weeks. What a deal these weeks are. We have stayed in top resorts for around $300 a week - I'm talking Westin, Sheraton, Marriott . Marriott has beautiful properties in Orlando (our favorites so far are Cypress Harbour and Horizons - themed pools/slides and better bedding/furnishings than any DVC we've stayed in). Plus, Marriott has beautiful properties in a lot more locations than DVC.

By the way, Marriott Royal Palms has just been renovated and it shares amenities with the Marriott World Center hotel (which has an indoor pool, restaurants, great feature pool with slide, etc.). But they don't have to stay at Royal Palms - they could trade it through Interval and stay at any Marriott Vacation club in Orlando - maybe even trade into a Marriott Grande Vista 3 bedroom.

Since your parents have bought at Marriott Royal Palms in Orlando, they can't trade into an onsite DVC in Orlando through Interval International (exchange company) - there is a regional block for other Orlando timeshares to trade into DVC, but they could trade their Royal Palms into DVC at Vero Beach or Hilton Head. Also, Marriott has some beautiful properties on Hilton Head Island. Marriott's Koolina resort on the island of Oahu is in the same resort location as the new DVC Hawaii that is being built.

Maybe you can buy some DVC points and then with the parents owning Marriott, you would have a combination that is actually pretty great in my opinion. We often stay in Orlando on both our DVC points and pick up Marriott Getaway weeks on cash (if we have extra family going) and go back and forth between different resorts (Disney and Marriott).

jakeybake
05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I knew when I posted this that it would be a tricky post and would have people on both sides of the fence. Like I said earlier, we just love staying on property and the resort is the most important aspect of our trip so I am a bit disappointed that we won't be back at our favorite place in the world, the Beach Club, anytime soon.

Hopefully we get to a point where we trade out to another resort someplace else along with doing our yearly WDW vacation at the BC.

Jay

SurferStitch
05-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Like I said earlier, we just love staying on property and the resort is the most important aspect of our trip so I am a bit disappointed that we won't be back at our favorite place in the world, the Beach Club, anytime soon.
Jay

Well, you could stay there....you'll just have to pay for it yourself.

If you really want to keep peace and harmony in the family, then do a week at the timeshare with the inlaws. You can then book another trip for yourselves at the Beach Club on your own dime. You said you do other vacations during the year anyway, so it doesn't appear that vacation time is an issue.

I still don't grasp the whole "we can never stay at our favorite resort again." You can...you just have to pay for it yourself. No biggie.

Now, if cost is an issue (and I'm only saying IF), and you can't afford to pay for the Beach Club yourself, and every trip was a freebie, then I don't think I'd be complaining so much that the inlaws didn't get you a timeshare there. I'm not trying to be mean, but this is coming from someone who has paid every cent of every trip we've ever done. If my parents wanted to pay, I would stay anywhere they wanted.

But, that's me.

jakeybake
05-19-2008, 01:06 PM
I've been to WDW 12 times and I paid for the trip 10 of them. The last 2 trips my inlaws paid because they said my kids, "deserved to go once a year" and they wanted to "start a tradition".

I hate "freebies" as you called it and have fought tooth and nail each time they have offered to send us away.

I don't think it's feasible to take more than one trip to WDW a year given our families busy work and social schedule. My son is a very good athlete who is the starting quarterback, starting pitcher/shortstop and starting point guard on his youth sports teams. What comes along with being a great athlete are more commitments. All Star tournaments etc. Also, I coach his teams so my commitment is there as well.

I'm not looking for a handout believe me, nor am I ungrateful for all the do for us. I am just looking at one WDW vacation a year and I am not locked into a place I would rather not stay at.

Hence the dilemma.

Jay

crazypoohbear
05-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Just visit the website of their timeshare!
You can still go and have a great time.
Maybe, when the kids get older THEY might not want to go to disney.. I know it's blasphamy but it could happen!
And with your son being an athlete you might need to trade the time share to go to tournements around the country at some point.
You could still go to the time share, extend your vacation a few days and stay on property.
All I'm saying is dont' write off the time share sight unseen. Give it a chance.

thejens
05-19-2008, 07:41 PM
I feel for you Jakeybake. Let's face it, we are all spoiled in that most of us have not only been to WDW but plan to make it a habit. I complain about all kinds of silly things like no towel animals or a not so magical cast member. Yes, I am spoiled. Disney spoils me. That pixie dust is like a drug, I am always jonesing for some more! And for me the resort is a huge part of the experience. So I don't blame Jake for his small wail of anguish! He has made it clear he appreciates the good intentions of his in-laws. I have a slightly similar situation in that my mother and grandmother invite us and pay for long weekend vacations every year (not at Disney and not in nice hotels!) We love to see the family and appreciate it, but it costs us a lot in airfare and time. These trips are wonderful, but do take away from other vacation options we might have. We love our family, we love our vacations, we love Disney, sometimes it is hard to merge it all together. I am sure Jake did not complain to his inlaws. Let's allow him to whine a bit on a forum of Disney resort lovers!

SurferStitch
05-20-2008, 12:21 AM
I've been to WDW 12 times and I paid for the trip 10 of them. The last 2 trips my inlaws paid because they said my kids, "deserved to go once a year" and they wanted to "start a tradition".

I hate "freebies" as you called it and have fought tooth and nail each time they have offered to send us away.

I don't think it's feasible to take more than one trip to WDW a year given our families busy work and social schedule. My son is a very good athlete who is the starting quarterback, starting pitcher/shortstop and starting point guard on his youth sports teams. What comes along with being a great athlete are more commitments. All Star tournaments etc. Also, I coach his teams so my commitment is there as well.

Oh, I'm sorry. From your previous posts, you said your inlaws pay for a yearly trip for your family to WDW. It wasn't until here that you mentioned it was only twice (the past two years).

You also said you take your family on a yearly vacation besides that trip, so that's why it appears you have time for two trips in a year. Hence, why I mentioned the free trip and your own paid trip.

mrbghd
05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I knew when I posted this that it would be a tricky post and would have people on both sides of the fence. Like I said earlier, we just love staying on property and the resort is the most important aspect of our trip so I am a bit disappointed that we won't be back at our favorite place in the world, the Beach Club, anytime soon.

Hopefully we get to a point where we trade out to another resort someplace else along with doing our yearly WDW vacation at the BC.

Jay

I apologize in advance since this is going to sound ultra critical. You have 2 choices as I see it:
1) take vacations with the in-laws; or
2) Pay for your own trips to the Beach Club.

I truly fail to see why you think you have ANY right to complain. My MIL cannot afford to do anything for us (she can barely afford to live on her own anymore)and my parents are both gone. So you have someobdoy that wants to take you on vacation and pay for it. If you are an employee of a company the company does not typically consult you on where they are putting up buildings(unless that is your job) so why would someone who is buying a time share consult you. Lastly what makes you thinkthat trading out to another resort is a group decision. Unless I have missed a post YOU HAVE NOT PAID FOR ANYTHING so it is your in-laws decision not yours

lockedoutlogic
05-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Just found out today that my in-laws who send our family to WDW each year (for the kids of course!) bought a time share at the Marriott Royal Palms.

I know it sounds selfish but I'm not happy about it. The best part of our stay each year is the resort we stay in (Beach Club) and we have never dreamed of staying anywhere off site. Now I feel like we will have to stay at Royal Palms each trip and the resort is everything to us. I know nothing about the resort except that they paid $15,000 for it.

It's eating my wife and I up that they could of spent a bit more and bought into the DVC.

Anyone know anything about staying off-site or more specifically about the Royal Palms? Any info appreciated!

Please help talk me off of the ledge!!

Jay

I've found in the past that anytime a relative buys anything at $15,000 that i have use of.....it really isn't my right to complain

At some point...you have to look at it through adult eyes.....just because you were their children...doesn't mean you are still their children

MidnTPK
05-21-2008, 09:49 AM
I was always taught not to "Look a gift horse in the face."

I'll say again....this is not exactly a gift. Its a generous gesture on the in-laws part, but it's not a gift.

The reason one does not look a gift horse in the mouth is because it's now YOUR horse. You are free to do with it as you please. You could use it for a plough, ride it around, sell it for cash, or eat it as a last resort.

The OP has no such rights to freely do with this timeshare as he pleases.

mouseketeer mom
05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm with you Jakeybake. This isn't how you want to spend your WDW trips. I know I might get flamed too, but I would be crushed without my stays at the Polynesian. I love it there as much, if not more than the parks. To lose that and have to stay elsewhere would not feel good. Sounds like that how you feel about the Beach Club. And all the other issues with hurt feelings..possible strained relationships...limited time to spend your family vacations as your kids get older. Yikes. I know others say you seem ungrateful, however I get it. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes. Its a "gift" I wouldn't like.

illini
05-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Ouch. Some pretty darned harsh replies.

I completely get what you're saying, Jakeybake. I would be sad, too. You have limited vacation time a year and only allot one week to WDW. Now you have to stay where the ILs are during that week. If you book the BC during that week, they'll be offended. "We spent $15K and he won't stay with us!!!" And while I love WDW, I like to take other trips as well so I can understand not wanting to use all your leave just going there.

So yeah, I'd be sad, too. I love staying on site and now that I'm hooked on the Poly, I can't imagine staying anywhere else. I'd feel obligated to stay with the in-laws.

And for what it's worth, my ILs have generously offered to let us trade one of their many time shares in for a week at pretty much any Orlando timeshare. We've declined. I guess that makes me spoiled, too. I'm just glad I don't have to travel with them. Yikes!

BriarRose
05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
As someone who has never stayed off property, I understand exactly where you're coming from. I think the negative comments are coming mostly from people who consider a hotel as a place to sleep and nothing else. After all, you're going to the parks, what do you care what the hotel looks like when you're hardly there anyway?

I have come to realize that it is VERY important to me to stay on property. There is something very magical about walking through the beautifly themed resorts that makes the extra expense so very worth it to us. There is a sense of being transported to another world on property. There are no fast food restaurants and convience stores to look at. There is no road rage. There is just peace and tranquility (at least that's how I feel when I'm there) When we went to Disneyland for a family vacation in 2005, my husband and I were the only ones who stayed on property. We still had a great vacation with everyone.

That said, what if you and your wife stay on property and the kids stay with your inlaws? Isn't that who they are doing this for anyway? You have said that it's important to you to stay on property. How do your kids feel about it? maybe it's not so important to them. And if it is, maybe they will be able to tell their grandparents in a way that you couldn't without coming off as ungrateful that a big part of the magic of being at WDW is the total experience. Or maybe you could trade of every other year. Maybe even treat them to a stay on property. It's not like they could be offended that you wan't to pay for their trip when they have already paid for yours twice.

I think that a lot of the comments you have received are from people that also don't realize that you are venting here instead of at your family. Everyone has those moments that you know what you are upset about may be for selfish reasons, but they still upset you and what better way of venting than on an anonymous message board?

Please don't take the "selfish reasons" comment the wrong way. I wasn't directing that at you, just that we are all human and we are not perfect.

Mousemates
05-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Wow, this really is the thread that just won't die...(thou I suspect that Jakeybake likely wishes it would:mickey:). I have been pretty surprised to see how incensed :angry: some people have gotten over one guy who really just wants to stay on property when he makes his annual pilgrimage to the Mecca of the Mouse. ( I mean we generally have thread after thread in which we espouse the virtues of the on-property experience).

What is especially surprising to me is the fact that the criticism has come from folks who are on Intercot which generally means they (we :blush:) have what many might call an inordinate amount of affection for Disney in the first place. (By the way we know they are wrong, we can stop doing all things Disney anytime we want. Its not an addiction...:humph:)

While the following quote certainly is not applicable to all who have been critical of jakeybake,(I'm trying to be gentle and :tiptoe: here) for some have disagreed in a very agreeable way and taken a glass half full approach to the issue-- However, a few of the more caustic comments brought to mind the following words from H.G. Wells (who actually has something of a Disney connection in that in the old Timekeeper world exhibition scene where Nine-Eye, H.G. Wells {played by Jeremy Irons} and Jules Verne meet...[and no I really don't have a disney problem;);)]) once wrote,

"Moral indignation is often jealousy with a halo. :envy: "

Little Round Bale
05-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Jakeybake, now that our trip is getting closer and closer :party: I am not sure how we would deal with staying off property. Easier said than done. Lets face it we LOVE the resorts.:cloud9: And there are good reasons for it. My DS and I were just talking about how exciting it is to be staying at BW for the first time and Intercoters are telling us the cool things about it.

I wish you nothing but magic pixie dust to help you through this. :pixie:

SurferStitch
05-22-2008, 05:39 PM
As someone who has never stayed off property, I understand exactly where you're coming from. I think the negative comments are coming mostly from people who consider a hotel as a place to sleep and nothing else. After all, you're going to the parks, what do you care what the hotel looks like when you're hardly there anyway?

I think that a lot of the rude comments you have received are from people that also don't realize that you are venting here instead of at your family. Everyone has those moments that you know what you are upset about may be for selfish reasons, but they still upset you and what better way of venting than on an anonymous message board?

He he.....I don't pay $350-$500 per night just for a place to sleep. I wish I were that rich! :cloud9: Our resort is very important to us. Sure, there were a few times we stayed value or mod, but we much prefer the Grand Flo. In fact, we spent a huge chunk of time at the Flo on our last trip. Just saying....I wouldn't assume those who disagree with the OP don't care about where they stay.

I don't think anyone here was really rude....just honest. Nobody said anything derogatory to the OP, or called him names, or anything like that. He gave his opinion, and many here gave theirs. Just because they don't agree with the OP, and they gave a differing opinion, doesn't make them rude.

"Moral indignation is often jealousy with a halo. " --- Nice quote, but not quite applicable (at least on my account) --- I have access to a very close yet off property timeshare whenever I want to use it, and I still don't. We like to stay where we want to stay.

Just an observation here:

Those who disagree are accused of being rude, jealous, what have you. Some of those who agree with the OP are quick to judge and scold the people who don't agree with him. How is that not just a different flavor of rudeness?

Gottaluvgoof
05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I guess this gets us back to the time versus money debate. And how important some of us consider staying on-site is.

I don't want to go somewhere I don't want to go, just because it's 'free'. You seem to not be able to get beyond the 'money' aspect of this...which is understandable, but many people think differently.

I'm perfectly willing to pay for things I want to do and I consider valuable. I'm not willing to spend my time on things I don't want to do, even if it has no monetary cost for me...it has other costs which I can't get back...i.e. time.

I pay for EVERYTHING I do. This is not about money or time in my opinion, this is about GRATITUDE! Ever hear of it?

Gottaluvgoof
05-23-2008, 10:53 AM
He he.....I don't pay $350-$500 per night just for a place to sleep. I wish I were that rich! :cloud9: Our resort is very important to us. Sure, there were a few times we stayed value or mod, but we much prefer the Grand Flo. In fact, we spent a huge chunk of time at the Flo on our last trip. Just saying....I wouldn't assume those who disagree with the OP don't care about where they stay.

I don't think anyone here was really rude....just honest. Nobody said anything derogatory to the OP, or called him names, or anything like that. He gave his opinion, and many here gave theirs. Just because they don't agree with the OP, and they gave a differing opinion, doesn't make them rude.

"Moral indignation is often jealousy with a halo. " --- Nice quote, but not quite applicable (at least on my account) --- I have access to a very close yet off property timeshare whenever I want to use it, and I still don't. We like to stay where we want to stay.

Just an observation here:

Those who disagree are accused of being rude, jealous, what have you. Some of those who agree with the OP are quick to judge and scold the people who don't agree with him. How is that not just a different flavor of rudeness?

:exactly: I couldn't have said it better myself. I love Intercot, but sometimes, I feel like I'm intruding on a cult. If you disagree with a poster, you get attacked for having a different opinion. I'm tired of being attacked and I won't just roll over and take it.

Disney Doll
05-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Calm down people! Those who are saying the OP is selfish or greedy or insinuating that he is selfish or greedy are out of line. This is an online message board. You don't know the OP well enough to determine what kind of person he is.

I think we can all agree that it would be nice to be offered a free stay at an off site time share. However, I think we can also all agree that it gets sticky when you then feel like you have to vacation with your inlaws off site for the rest of your life or risk seeming like you are ungrateful and don't appreciate the offer. This is not as cut and dry as "just pay for your own vacation." Those of you who continue to see this as a black and white issue are missing the point. Enough already. This should be a place where we can vent without the harsh judgement.

diz_girl
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
However, I think we can also all agree that it gets sticky when you then feel like you have to vacation with your inlaws off site for the rest of your life or risk seeming like you are ungrateful and don't appreciate the offer. This is not as cut and dry as "just pay for your own vacation." Those of you who continue to see this as a black and white issue are missing the point. Enough already. This should be a place where we can vent without the harsh judgement.

Well said.

If you've read this entire thread from the beginning, then you know that Jay has paid for 10 out of the last 12 vacations to WDW, and he felt uncomfortable accepting the last two from his in-laws. He likes to stay where he likes to stay and now his in-laws have decided to buy a time share outside WDW so that his family can use it. The in-laws started footing the bill because they want their granddaughters (his daughters) to visit WDW every year. His in-laws have decided where and when he takes his WDW vacation and have now taken his WDW vacation choice away from him. Now he is obligated to use it, else offending the in-laws.

I've seen the argument that the in-laws can do what they want, since it's their money. Yes, that's true. But is it fair to someone else that in doing what you want, you have prevented them from doing the same? In Jay's 5/14 post at 11:24am, he quotes his mother-in-law as saying, "Maybe now Jay won't fight us tooth and nail about spending money each year on a Disney Vacation". This may seem harsh, but this almost seems like a deliberate action to shut him up. There's a family dynamic involved that Jay has to deal with, not you.

If he decides to stay at the Beach Club on his own dime, which I'm sure that he has already done several times, his in-laws may ask, "Why are you staying there, because we bought the timeshare for you." So he's obligated to use the timeshare. So now it's no Beach Club and bye, bye Stormalong Bay. The only excuse that he can give is that his daughters love Stormalong Bay and they can only use it if they stay at the Beach Club (HINT, HINT Jay).

This is about the freedom to plan your vacation when you want and where you want. Would you like for someone else to take that freedom away from you for the next decade or two?

gnomelady
05-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Wow..I think it is wonderful they purchased a time share. Do you realize how many people would die to be able to go to Florida enjoy the area, Disney etc. My parents are gone and we never went on any trips unless it was to see family by car and they were far and few. Maybe you are disappointed they didn't get a DVC time share but who is paying for it? You need to get over it and let your family enjoy their time share. If you want to stay at a Disney resort then stay there you shouldn't make your family feel quilty they didn't get what you wanted.
Enjoy your family time together...life is short.

MNNHFLTX
05-23-2008, 12:16 PM
MODERATOR WARNING--

Discussion on these boards (whether you agree or disagree with the OP) is allowed as long as members remain respectful of each other. Therefore I have edited some of the recent posts to try and get things back in line. As per INTERCOT's Terms of Service, posts of an argumentative, inflammatory or sarcastic nature are not allowed on our boards, so please keep this in mind in future remarks.

I have to say that I think the OP has remained remarkably civil despite the bantering that has gone on here. Even he has encouraged discussion on both sides of the issue, just as long as people treat each other with respect.

Let's move on.

bkfree
05-27-2008, 03:53 PM
We have stayed both off and on site. While they are different experiences, they were both fun and memorable and equally magical.
If we had never stayed off site I am sure my thoughts would be different, but because we have gone and stayed at a vacation home, I can say that both types of accomodations were great. Having your own private pool, hot tub, game room and kitchen were great.And we got the same enjoyment from the parks and we were only 3 miles away, so driving was a piece of cake.
I'll take any free trip to WDW-On site , off site or way off site.

My sister loves WDW and loves to stay on site. SHe and her husband recently purchase a Time share and despite her love of the Mouse they chose not to go with a DVC. They are looking at the long haul. As their kids have gotten older, they enjoy doing other things in Orlanda other than Disney and their time share has lots of great resort options in Orlando. As they become empty nesters, the other Vacation Club offered a more varied choice and options of places to go and things to do. And for less money.
They are taking all of their kids(4) one daughter in law and one boyfriend to Puerta Vallarta Mexico on Sat. for a week at an all inclusive resort, all expenses paid with a snorkeling and deep sea fishing excursions.
They could not have done anything like this for with the DVC membership.
They considered lots of things before making the decision and DVC just was not the best choice.

We also hold our WDW trips sacred and after a few shared trips, we decided that WDW was a family only trip. We informed all of our relatives that our future trips to Disney would be just the 4 of us and no one was the least bit insulted or bothered by this. And we have found plenty of other places to visit with the whole gang.

To the OP, find out the other places available thru your In lawstime share.Places you have never visited amd would be new experiences for all of you and go there.
And leave WDW to just your immediate family.:thumbsup:

Meteora
05-27-2008, 11:44 PM
While the on-property resorts are great, we have an off-property timeshare and we love, love, LOVE it. For one thing, as my sister and I got older (we're now 23 and 20), it really helped to have some extra room and not to crowd our whole family into one small space, however nice that space is. Family vacations are a lot smoother when we're not breathing down each other's necks. We also love having our own kitchen so that we can cook, refrigerate and heat up leftovers, etc. It's always fun to have a pint of ice cream in the freezer or a nice cold half gallon of milk in he fridge to eat with your fudge from DTD. It's very convenient.

And most timeshares have great amenities--activities, pools, golf...something for everyone. Disney is great, but if you go every year, there might (gasp) come a time when you want a little variety. It's nice to have other options. And, as others have said, Orlando outside Disney can be a lot of fun. There are great restaurants and other fun things to do. One of our favorites is to go buy oranges at a local citrus place and make our own fresh-squeezed OJ with the provided juicer.

We also now have the opportunity to stay at a lot of other great hotels all over the world, and we have taken advantage of this quite a bit. It's a lot of fun to stay at nice places in different locations.

I understand the OP's frustration, I really do--when I first found out about our timeshare (at the ripe age of 12), I was disappointed that we would never stay on-property again. But I have really come to love it, and wouldn't trade it. And, as others have suggested, if we need a little extra Disney magic, we combine our stay with a few nights at a Disney resort. Make the best of this--it's a Disney vacation, so you know you'll have a great time no matter what.

irish1967
05-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with the posters that suggest that you split your stays between the time-share and on-site - that way you will be able to experience the best of both worlds.

I had the opportunity to stay off-site last summer and was pleasantly surprised that it really was a good experience. It definitely wasn't the same experience, but it wasn't negative either.

rookie
05-29-2008, 02:52 PM
FWIW - if my MIL had a timeshare in Orlando I'd visit the Mouse in Disneyland:secret: