PDA

View Full Version : How much do you budget/spend on vacations?

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-13-2008, 10:18 AM
Mrs. Flab and I like to take a week every year and go on a full blown vacation, normally either at the beach or Disney World. We budget about $200 a month to save for a vacation, but sometimes we don't save that much, sometimes we use our income tax return.

At any rate, we usually end up spending $2000 - $2500 on our vacation. How about you?

We also have friends who never take a week vacation, they take several long weekends each spring/summer.

biodtl
05-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I can tell you this:

Budget = Spend - approximately never.

BMan62
05-13-2008, 11:00 AM
We're very cheap for our vacations. A WDW weeklong trip will run us $2,000 - $2,500 including airfare roundtrip BWI (Baltimore) - MCO (Orlando)

We've done other vacations - cruise $3,500 (9 night Western Caribbean); Vegas $3,500 (8 days); Niagara Falls [Canadian Side] $3,000 (4 nights); Emerald Isle, NC $1,500 (6 nights)

As far as budgeting, we tend to use our tax refund as our guide. If we can pay off most of the cost of the trip (75% +), we're very happy.

luvkatiebug
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
For some reason this year, I have done the best ever with budget. We usually go to the beach every summer for a week (its only about 3 hours away for us), but Disney only every 3 or 4 years. I use those years to save up. Our plane tickets were about $600 on Southwest (for 4 people). I used our income tax refund to buy our park tickets (about $1000). We get a "13th" check in our school district which is going to pay for most of our hotel (about $1200), and I managed to save almost $1000 in a vacation savings account for our spending money. That's the one I can't believe how fast it added up! I did $40 a month for a few years, and it went fast! I usually have to take some spending money out of savings, but this time we won't!

I know that adds up fast, but when it is spent over time, and I don't have to put anything much on the credit card, I feel better when I get home!:mickey:

KineGirl
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
We're a family of 3 :mickey::mickey::mickey:

Im embarrassed to say what we spend on our WDW vacays but lets just say that we could have put our DD through a decent college twice with what we've paid over the past 14 years :blush: :spend: Well worth every penny (and memory) and DH alyways tells me its why he works hard!

Our other vacays (Vegas, Chicago, DC, NYC, Niagara, the Keys) are more reasonable though and are probably in 2-4K range

senderella
05-13-2008, 11:48 AM
We can easily do $2500 for DW trip for a family of 4. Food is what gets us. We go so often, that we really don't spend alot on souveniers. We usually budget $150 a day for food. That is usually a sit down and then hamburger or chicken strips later on. Of course there is always funnel cakes, Mickey ice cream, and popcorn! So for a 5 day trip...$750-$1000 .

When I do long weekend trips...we usually go with the value resort and can get away with about $600-$800.

Well worth it...
We did just spend a week in Texas, Dallas and San Antonio....$3000.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-13-2008, 11:57 AM
We're probably going to do something that we haven't done before this summer, and do a split trip - stay 3 nights at Disney, then 3 nights at the beach. We live <1 hour from the beach, which is nice.

We also live about a 6-7 hour drive from Disney, which definitely saves on the transportation.

Right now, my family REALLY needs the time together, and DW and I both REALLY REALLY love Disney. We've indoctrinated our daughter into Disney ever since we adopted her; she's not quite 3 yet (that'll help with ticke prices!) and has so many favorites. We bought a book with Mickey and Disney Bear in the Magic Kingdom, and it's one of her favorites for us to read to her every night before bed time.

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Our vacations vary. It depends on how much we've saved or if I find great deals. We did a 7-night Caribbean cruise for just under $1000 for both of us a few years ago. Disney runs us anywhere from $1600 to 2400 for the two of us. It depends on how long we are staying.

If I'm traveling somewhere other than Disney there is an online site that weekly lists a Top 20 travel deals for anywhere and everywhere you can think of. I'll do one of there posted deals for a vacation then.

Zippy 1
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I have to say that since we do not do trips often we do tend to go a little overboard. We have done 2 trips to Disney World and both times have spent around $3000 not including airfare. We tend to splurge since it is not often that we get away. First trip we stayed in a value second trip we stayed in a moderate.:mickey:
We are now trying to save for a trip to Italy. I think this one will take awhile since I want to sneak a trip into Disney first.

Taja
05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Whether WDW or elsewhere, I tend to splurge on a vacation every few years. At WDW, I tend to spend quite a lot of time in the parks and don't really use the resort amenities, so I usually stay at a value resort. I'll be taking a break from WDW for a bit (may visit this year, but not sure yet), so I'll probably split a stay between value and deluxe on future visits. I slow down toward the end of the visit (usually 10 nights) and appreciate the amenities more at that time! *LOL*

Taja
05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I have to say that since we do not do trips often we do tend to go a little overboard. We have done 2 trips to Disney World and both times have spent around $3000 not including airfare. We tend to splurge since it is not often that we get away. First trip we stayed in a value second trip we stayed in a moderate.:mickey:
We are now trying to save for a trip to Italy. I think this one will take awhile since I want to sneak a trip into Disney first.

Not to mention the exchange rate! *eek*

At least the Euro isn't as bad as BPS yet! :)

playdead88
05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Im embarrassed to say what we spend on our WDW vacays but lets just say that we could have put our DD through a decent college twice with what we've paid over the past 14 years :blush: :spend: Well worth every penny (and memory) and DH alyways tells me its why he works hard!

i couldn't agree more! we have been the last 4 years in a row and recently bought into the DVC - we only take one vacation a year and disney is it - we have 2 kids dd7 and ds14 - they are growing up so fast and we have never once thought we spent one penny too much when it comes to our week at disney :mickey:

Bri
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
2 of us spend about $2500 combined for 7 nights 8 days in a moderate, the dining plan for 7 days, a 7 day park hopper and 2 round trip plane tickets. we don't buy many souviners but we do bring $500 each for spending money. we never spend even half of that but i would rather have too much money than not enough.

Nurse Kim
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
I would like to know how you only spend that little amount on a WDW vacation. I did only spend 3000 in March when my kids and I went but we had to be very careful and skimped. We are planning another trip for next March and my husband is going this time and i can't get our trip below 6000 and that isn't counting our spending money. That just includes room, tickets with water parks and more, and dining plan. There is five of us so we are limited where we can stay.

I even checked into renting DVC points but that is more than just paying for the room without DVC.

Where do you cut?

mouseketeer mom
05-14-2008, 06:21 AM
We're a family of 3 :mickey::mickey::mickey:

Our other vacays (Vegas, Chicago, DC, NYC, Niagara, the Keys) are more reasonable though and are probably in 2-4K range

Oh I'm with you. I don't even want to know what we've spent, but it is worth every penny. This is time we cherish. No second thoughts about it.

DISNEYLOVERS5
05-14-2008, 07:00 AM
wE ARE A FAMILY OF
:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

WE CAN GOTO DISNEY FOR A WEEK ON ABOUT 3000. THATS GOING DURING FREE DINING.

sisterslovindisney
05-14-2008, 07:46 AM
We have only been twice as a whole family and are planing our next trip for Jan 2010. Both times we spent about $1000 -$1500 per person not including travel. We did stay Poly Concierge
so that is pretty costly. We spend a lot of time at the resort and don't take a lot of trips so when we do go we go big!

Septbride2002
05-14-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm frugal with all vacation except my Disney vacations. I do shop for deals when it comes to airfare and rental cars.

~Amanda

Belle1217
05-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Well in reading this post I started to figure out what our Nov/Dec. trip is going to cost and almost passed out. Just on the resort, park tickets, and airfare I am at about $5200. We went in 2006 and stayed in 2 rooms in a value for alot less. This time we wanted to stay at the Poly with a magic kingdom view. I hope its worth the extra money. So I think with everything this trip will be about $7000. My DH said this is it for Disney for a few years:sob: so I might as well enjoy this trip.

Usually when I do plan a trip I do stick to a strict budget. Just not this one!!!:mickey:

theyoungs07
05-14-2008, 11:34 AM
I have a family of :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::m ickey: only 5 need tickets which helps. We're renting a 3br home for 7 nights for $1250, park hopper is around another $1250, I figure $700 for gas (coming from Northern Illinois), and food will most probably be $700-$800. Since this is my first trip with the family, my budget is "whatever it takes" within reason since I'd like to make it a regular trip.

bruin1344
05-14-2008, 01:21 PM
about 850 per person airfare, hotel, park tix, and food

Bri
05-14-2008, 03:35 PM
nurse kim,

i think the fact that we don't buy many souviners saves us lots of money. also, this year we didn't get the water park and more option, we are going in december so we figured we won't need it. if we do want to go to the water park, we will just spend the $39 each. but we also don't go to downtown disney that much so we don't need the water park and more tickets for that either. also, have you tried booking through magical journeys? they can apply discounts that you are eligible for and it's a free service, they could possibly save you lots of money.

jans2kids
05-14-2008, 05:11 PM
For a family of 4 we usually budget $1000 for airfare, $1000 for hotel and $1000 for tickets and then we don't really budget for food. Our trip last year was for 10 days and we spent around $4000. But we also saved up our disney VISa rewards around $300 and took food for breakfast. this year we will use some of our stimulus check to sprulge. My Dh also tells me thats why he works so hard to and the memories we have accumulated over the years are weel worth it.

thejens
05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
umm...we spend a lot. This year we will be at the Poly and the Deluxe Dining and park hoppers for 4 for 8 nights = 6000.00+ You guys have gotten me thinking about a value resort though...nah. ;)

Coach48
05-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Last 4 trips have all been 5000+.That includes air,rooms .food...everything.

tinksmom02
05-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Sept 2007 was just under $2500, I think...airfare, car rental, POFQ w/tix and free dining.

I think that Sept 2008 will be around the same...airfare is more than last year, but we're using DME, so no rental, it all evens out.

But, that's not taking into consideration money we bring for souveniers, drinks :beer: :marg: (not that we're heavy drinkers, but we do enjoy a cocktail now and then!), and other extras (last time was BBB for DD, this time Priate Cruise for DD and MNSSHP--which I didn't add into my total). I'll tell you what we spent on the TRIP but I'm too embarrassed to mention how much we take for all of that stuff!!!

cal5755
05-15-2008, 12:15 AM
HMMM we are a family of :mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:
Our trip for next September is going to be 6,089.00 that includes deluxe dining, 10 nights at ASMOVIES, parkhopper & more tickets. Does not include MNSSHP tickets though that will be an extra 250.00.

We use our Tax return every year for our vacation as well as all the change we save up for a year... having 2 waitresses in the family... it is a LOT of change.

As far as spending money... we pay for my mom to go every trip with us so she takes care of any extras while we are there... like BBB for my youngest DD (older DD uses her honor roll money.) etc.

Despite being told how foolish we are for not saving what we spend on Disney I feel it is money well spent and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

nls721
05-15-2008, 02:04 PM
I guess I am so confused how some are doing Disney for $2000-$2500. Going in October and will probably spend $3800 for 2. Breaks down to this -
Airfare - $500 ($250 /each)
CB - $1200 (7 nights AAA rate)
7 day hopper tix no waterparks $550 (for 2)
Food / Spending - $1400
That doesn't count my $88 to park at the airport or $100 in gas to get to and from the airport.
Went last June for the same amount of time and stayed at Pop, total bill was $2700.
I go to Vegas quite a bit, so Disney seems like a "cheap" trip compared to Vegas.

nls721
05-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Despite being told how foolish we are for not saving what we spend on Disney I feel it is money well spent and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

LOL, I was telling my parents how I wanted to get Granite countertops but really didn't want to pay the $5k, she told me "Well if you just took one less trip a year that alone would cover the countertops!" Some don't understand.

Taja
05-15-2008, 04:52 PM
I guess I am so confused how some are doing Disney for $2000-$2500. Going in October and will probably spend $3800 for 2. Breaks down to this -
Airfare - $500 ($250 /each)
CB - $1200 (7 nights AAA rate)
7 day hopper tix no waterparks $550 (for 2)
Food / Spending - $1400
That doesn't count my $88 to park at the airport or $100 in gas to get to and from the airport.
Went last June for the same amount of time and stayed at Pop, total bill was $2700.
I go to Vegas quite a bit, so Disney seems like a "cheap" trip compared to Vegas.

That's funny! I consider Las Vegas to be a relatively inexpensive trip compared to WDW!

I have several cost scenarios on my spreadsheet for November 28 - December 9. This is for one person. The most straight-forward is AAA discount, which I calculated at 15%. The total is just over $2200. It could be a bit less, but I tend to over budget a tad...just in case!

Pop Century room $970
Airfare $400 (hope to be under $350)
Ground Transportation $155
Grocery Stop $40
WDW Meals/Snacks $356
Park Tickets (10-day hopper) $300

Grocery stop probably will be less, as will WDW meals/snacks. WDW meals/snacks includes 3 TS dinners, 11 CS meals and 11 snacks at $4 each. Most likely 10 bottles of water at $2 each and 1 snack around $4. *LOL*

I don't really buy much stuff, so I didn't budget for it. I'll have an extra $300 or so if I do choose to shop a bit.

I've visited WDW on significantly less and significantly more in the past. This visit encompasses two nights during regular season, the rest during value season.

Soul_Power
05-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Our first trip to WDW was last summer, and for the both of us it cost about $2800 (not including the ridiculous amount of money we.. ahem.. I spent on souvenirs while we were there). We stayed at POP for 8 days and 7 nights, were on the Dining Plan, 5 (or was it 4?) park hopper tickets, water parks and more option and round trip airfare between Sacramento and Orlando. $2800 is a lot for two college students, but soo worth it!

KineGirl
05-15-2008, 07:52 PM
That's funny! I consider Las Vegas to be a relatively inexpensive trip compared to WDW!

Though I dont know how alot of ya'll manage to go so cheap.. I thought I was embarrassed to say how much we spend before and now after reading everyones budgeting Im REALLY embarrassed! My Mom is a CM so that helps with tix on at least one trip AND our DVC is paid off!?? :confused: We do buy several collectables while we're there and are completely pin crazy but I still dont know how some do it on a relatively cheap dime but good on ya'll! I even think those 10 day for 6K trips are completely well budgeted. But I have to agree our Vegas trips are always cheaper than WDW. We also have timeshare that lets us stay out there and there always those comps (rooms, shows, chips) that lure you back and we def take advantage of those. We also only usually go for 3 or 4 days and I hardly buy a souvenier anywhere there besides maybe Cirque stuff (although I do like the shops :blush: can you say Versace and Tiffany? LOL I CAN) and half the meals are usually comped (the other half are pretty pricey). It still costs us in the 2500 range for that time. But like WDW we feel like we get our fair shake out of it. My hubby LOVES poker and plays for as long as I let him only taking a breather to eat or see a show. And I like to gamble a little too, shop and lounge by the pool and ppl watch.

KAT1811
05-15-2008, 09:33 PM
. . .we have never once thought we spent one penny too much when it comes to our week at disney

:ditto:

:ditto: Going to Vegas doesn't even touch our trip to WDW. Although the hotel comped our last hotel stay and a couple of shows. Even if we factored those costs in it still wouldn't come close.

(although I do like the shops can you say Versace and Tiffany? . . .

I didn't factor in the shopping money. There is not way you can compare the shopping in WDW to the shopping in Vegas. I've yet to find a Louis Vuitton in WDW! Not that I would complain! LOL!!!

We have been to WDW for all different amounts, our trips have gotten increasingly more expensive since we are now a family of :mickey: :mickey: :mickey: :mickey: :mickey: and hopefully after this trip we'll add another :mickey:. Our next trip looks like it is somewhere in the ballpark of $10,000 plus depending on spending $$$. We have done trips for half that (before we got to be such a large family).

We do smaller trips at different times of the year, the Cape a couple of times, Chicago, New Hampshire are a few of the regulars.

Whatever the cost the memories are priceless!!!

KineGirl
05-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I didn't factor in the shopping money. There is not way you can compare the shopping in WDW to the shopping in Vegas. I've yet to find a Louis Vuitton in WDW! Not that I would complain! LOL!!!

Whatever the cost the memories are priceless!!!

LOL I dont know what I would do to find Louis actually in WDW :cloud9: He needs to make a Mickey bag :mickey: Id settle for 9 West. But Ill tell you this - I bet my hubby is glad that neither are in the resort lobbies like they are in Vegas! Dont get me wrong - I dont have a wardrobe full of designer things but I do have this minor purse & shoe "thing" :blush: We are blessed that my hubby has a very good job and he always tells me he works hard so we can play hard. That and we just really really like to vacation! So we do it as often as possible where ever we can. We're a small family of 3 (and our DD is 17 with her own job) so I know that gives us a little more elbow room money wise sometimes than other bigger families with smaller children who need more "stuff". And regardless of where it is or how little or much it costs - its always been worth every penny for the memories that you could never put a price tag on. But by far WDW is my favorite :thumbsup: - we all get that same feeling there whether someone spent 2K or 10K - Disney magic is priceless & universal.

KAT1811
05-15-2008, 10:09 PM
. . . he always tells me he works hard so we can play hard.

Funny you said that. Those are the words my DH lives by! Who knew, kindred spirits here on Intercot!!! Only difference is our girls are 11, 3, and 1 , (and divas) with no jobs! LOL!!!

KineGirl
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Funny you said that. Those are the words my DH lives by! Who knew, kindred spirits here on Intercot!!! Only difference is our girls are 11, 3, and 1 , (and divas) with no jobs! LOL!!!

Imagine that.... same avatar and everything :wave: Dont tell me you have that same purse & shoe "thing" ;)

thing = full walk in closet :blush:

KAT1811
05-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Imagine that.... same avatar and everything :wave: Dont tell me you have that same purse & shoe "thing" ;)

thing = full walk in closet :blush:

Not a purse "thing" but more of a shoe obsession. Think walk in closet that needs to be rotated by season. I tend to think of shoe shopping as a mini mission.

WhenUWishUponAStar*
05-18-2008, 01:18 AM
We usually figure around $1,000 per person. That includes air-fare, park tickets, value resort (8 nights), and food(we usually budget about $30 per person a day).

Mousemates
05-20-2008, 12:12 AM
Our math works a bit differently in that what we generally do is buy a ten day noexpiration park hopper/water park ticket....which ran right at $2K for the four of us. This gives us 20 days of Disney entertaiment at a $100 a day.(Which doesn't seem that bad).

We tend to save on food also, because on our resort or water park days we eat outside of the park and tend to do most of our big eating then.

We also occasionally save by doing resort splits, the first few nights in a value/mod and the last couple of nights in a deluxe (by the way always save the delxue for the last nights, its no fun moving down).

So for our six night stay in June we're looking at roughly

950 room (2@ASMo, 3@CBR, 1@BCV) AAA rates
250 gas (from TN)
500 tickets ( 5days)
700 food (includes two table service meals this trip for DW and me (Tony's and Chef of France--my teenage kids would rather take a $20 bill for meal money and have some "personal park time" than sit for a long leisurely meal)
100 souveniers

$2,500

I know this wouldn't work for everyone, but it works great for my crew.

Bri
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
NLS721,

Do you have the dining plan? I know some people here don't think it's worth it anymore since they took out the app and the tip but for 2people, I still think it's worth it. It's $38.99 per day (1 counter service, 1 table service and 1 snack per person per day) so for two of you for 7 days it would be $545. You still get a good amount of food for that price and I have found that when it's hot, we don't eat at much anyway so who cares if the app is included in the table service meals. If you don't have the dining plan, maybe you should look into that.

nls721
05-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Bri - Thanks for the info on the dining plan. But, I have figured it out (yes I'm a spreadsheet geek :) and I think we spend about the same amount per day for the two meals and one snack as what we'd pay for the DP. But, some days I might not feel like TS then we'd just do two CS and save some extra money. Alot of my food money then goes to snacks; dolewhips here and there sometimes ends up being 4 dolewhips a day, for each of us! Or, like the days I go to Epcot, I just like to "Graze around the world" so the dining plan doesn't help too much on that day. Thanks though!

Taja
05-20-2008, 08:20 PM

I have several cost scenarios on my spreadsheet for November 28 - December 9. This is for one person. The most straight-forward is AAA discount, which I calculated at 15%. The total is just over $2200. It could be a bit less, but I tend to over budget a tad...just in case!

Pop Century room $970
Airfare $400 (hope to be under $350)
Ground Transportation $155
Grocery Stop $40
WDW Meals/Snacks $356
Park Tickets (10-day hopper) $300

Grocery stop probably will be less, as will WDW meals/snacks. WDW meals/snacks includes 3 TS dinners, 11 CS meals and 11 snacks at $4 each. Most likely 10 bottles of water at $2 each and 1 snack around $4. *LOL*

I don't really buy much stuff, so I didn't budget for it. I'll have an extra $300 or so if I do choose to shop a bit.

I've visited WDW on significantly less and significantly more in the past. This visit encompasses two nights during regular season, the rest during value season.

Just saved $100 on my room! AAA discount 15% during regular season (2 nights) and 20% during value season (9 nights)! Woohoo!

Nurse Kim
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
nurse kim,

i think the fact that we don't buy many souviners saves us lots of money. also, this year we didn't get the water park and more option, we are going in december so we figured we won't need it. if we do want to go to the water park, we will just spend the $39 each. but we also don't go to downtown disney that much so we don't need the water park and more tickets for that either. also, have you tried booking through magical journeys? they can apply discounts that you are eligible for and it's a free service, they could possibly save you lots of money.

Thank you for the reply. We have contacted Magical Journeys and we are waiting for the rates to be released for our dates in March. So far we have our budget at almost 8000 for 5.

POR approx. 2300 for 10 days
Tickets 1375
Airfare 1200
Dining Plan 1900 (we aren't sure if we will do this or not)
Spending 1500

BIGDOG
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
My wife and I plus the 4 kids, most of the trips they bring a friend each. Plus assorted family members who have never gone to WDW. I enjoy taking first time visitors the best. We never have any group less then a grand gathering never less then 8-10 people, always need 2 rooms or more. I always stay 10 nights or more. I will not drive need to fly. So easy to say . Mickey gets at least 8k to 12k each trip from us...

Tink#64
05-21-2008, 08:39 PM
We have spent in the neighborhood of $4,000.00 - $4,500.00 for 3 out of 4 more recent trips, which includes airfare, Pop, our tix, food & souvenears. There is myself, DH & DS's now 10 & 12 counting as adults. We always use our tax refund for vacation and I try to save some throughout the year & sometimes DH gets a bonus. This year we had planned a Fall trip, but DH lost his job on Good Friday (not so good for us :mad:, a 1/4 of the work force got let go at once!) So we planned a spur of the moment trip for Spring Break! We drove for the first time, and had to stay off property for the first couple of nights because we couldn't get anything on property! We skimped and took very little for souvenears (we don't really need more - but there are always things we just want!). We only did 1 adr for Sci Fi (kids choice) and counter service & Pop food court, and fast food for all the rest. We managed this year to only spend about $2,200.00 but I had 400 Disney Visa reward points that I used towards purchasing our park tix! We didn't get the hopper option this time for the 1st time, so that saved a little, although we did miss that ability to hop! We still had a great trip & didn't really feel slighted out of the way we usually do Disney! But I'm secretly hoping we can do a little more of what we are used to at Disney for our next trip! :mickey: