PDA

View Full Version : A Little Preliminary Advise...

monkeycity
05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Sorry, this may take a moment to set up, but I believe you need this background info to understand the problem:

I have been in college as a non-traditional student for the past 4 years, attending nights and summers majoring in elementary education. I want to be a 3rd or 4th grade teacher. :thumbsup: I currently work full-time as a sign language interpreter in an elementary school, have been married :cloud9: 12 years, and I have two young children (DS6 and DD9). Six years ago we began buying our house with HUD/FHA, which required us to remain in it for at least 7 years. We've paid off one of our cars, and we've lowered our debt/income ratio considerably. We are now living in NW Arkansas, which is a nice place in many ways, but not our favorite. Between my allergies and my wife's family, we've decided it might be better to relocate. I will finish my schooling in two years :D, and it will be a really good time, I think, to consider a new start. I love Florida, and the wife has always been hesitant about it, but last week, she said to me, "I would consider northern Florida." I of course asked if she was toying with my emotions, and she said she was serious. Northern Florida, to her, is anything from Ocala north. I jumped at the chance and have been doing heavy research ever since.

My question(s) for any out there that might know: Do teachers get paid fairly well in Florida (here in NW Arkansas they start around $38,000 - a fairly well-paying job in my opinion)? What's the cost of living like in Florida? Gas? Food? Housing market - we need at least 3 bedrooms. We have been considering buying a new double wide and putting it on a lot. Is that a good idea? Any and all information about moving and relocating would be helpful from all of you!

You know, any chance to be closer to "hallowed ground" ;) would be a big pull for me. DW says that we can't be going there all the time - she's not a huge fan like the rest of us. But, once or twice a year is possible. Or more...

Sorry for the length, but I hope you all can give me some good info and advice! :rocks:

PirateLover
05-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't live in the area and don't know too much about it. However, a year ago I spoke with a gentleman who was recruiting for Osceola county, one of the fastest growing districts in the country. He basically said that I wouldn't have a problem getting a job as a teacher there. They give you money towards moving, and I believe starting salary was somewhere around $34,000-$36,000 depending on experience. Depending on the school, your experience as a sign language interpreter might place you at a higher starting level. This is of course Central FL, not north, but I would think that pay would be somewhat comparable throughout the state. Start scouring the internet. Many papers will do yearly reports on the local districts, and sometimes the school boards will have PDF files of all the stats. There are also websites where parents talk about schools. I would see if you could get in touch with recruiters as well. See if there are any teaching job fairs going on in your area soon.
Good luck!

MsMin
05-13-2008, 10:24 AM
My biggest concern would be a trailer in Florida. They seem to be the first to take the hit in Florida during a hurricane :eek2: even if inland due to the # or tornadoes and the fact that they can't stand the winds as well as many houses. Look at pictures of trailer parks after a hurricane and I for one wouldn't want to be in one. :( Can you rethink that option? With the rest I say go for it!:thumbsup: