PDA

View Full Version : All WDW veterans with kids and shopping habit!

little disney lovers
05-12-2008, 09:46 AM
We have booked POFQ for Aug 24 to Sept 16. I have booked heaps of ADR, including Cindy's Royal Table, Hoop de doo, Spirit of Aloha, Cali Grill, ect... I have also booked my 2 DD's, 5 and 7, for the Wonderland Tea Party, And finally I have booked MNSSHP. Besides BBB, Is there anything else I can't miss AND any unique or special souveniars you can suggest. I know about PAL Mickey, autograph books and a little bit about the Epcot WS passport, but is there anything similar at the other parks?
Anything a little bit unique or special for Mummy, Daddy or my DD's?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!:mickey:

cal5755
05-12-2008, 09:56 AM
WOW I think you have it pretty much covered there. Just have fun and remember to take the time to slow down and enjoy all the magical moments... oh and don't forget to get a dole whip too :mickey:

If I think of something else I will come back and post but you have thought of a lot of good stuff on your own!!

Have a MAGICAL trip!!

Mary M
05-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Wow - sounds like you've got a full docket there!

I'd say at this point, you need to make sure you have down time and are able to let go and enjoy yourself while you're there. Lots of people fall victim to overscheduling and trying to do it all - I know I have. It's completely impossible to do it all, so at this point, you just need to relax and enjoy!

Have a great time! :mickey:

mickey&missy
05-12-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree with the others, it seems that you have everything well thoughtout and very well planned. The only thing I can think of is the new make you own mouse ears at the Chapeau. You pick the beanie, the ears and the decorations, etc they'll also personalize them just like before. My kids can't wait to do that on our next trip!

Enjoy your trip!

KylesMom
05-12-2008, 11:45 AM
What a wonderful extended holiday you will have at Disney World!

Something we do each trip is to go to the Christmas store at Downtown Disney and have their artisans create a unique ornament which has all of our family members' names and the date on it. It makes a wonderful keepsake of our trip, and they make a beautiful addition to our holiday decorations!

Be sure to check out photopass as well - the best souvenirs in our family are the ones where we're all in the photo! :D

FromKnoxvilleto Disney
05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Wow how awsome is that to get to stay for 3 weeks. With that amount of time and the season you are going in you should have no problems seeing all the big stuff. I agree with the others when saying be sure to slow down and enjoy the little things. We have been many times and every time we go we seem to discover some little hidden gem. Let the children have that extra 5-10 minutes on the playground or pool and just enjoy watching them. My favorite part of every trip is the expressions on my children's faces. They have seen things a hundred times and they seem to still be surprised. The magic of Disney!

Taja
05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
That's going to be a long flight--or series of flights! At least you'll have three weeks to recover! :)

As others suggested, schedule some downtime--or at least leave room for spontaneous downtime. WDW is huge--a lot of walking. Although my BFF and travel buddy (we've been best friends since age 7 and I won't bore you will how long ago that was!) always says I overestimate the amount of walking, since I have a very sendentary job and have to train to walk at WDW! She could be right, but I usually cover 5 to 9 miles a day--depending on the park.

I'm not much of a shopper, but you might want to consider a picture frame with the year on it and have a family photo taken to put in it. We had difficulty finding items unique to WDW--my friends live near Disneyland, so we didn't want WDW/Disneyland items they could purchase there. And things had to be practical--so that eliminated other merchandise. *sigh*

Don't worry--you'll have plenty of merchandise to choose from! :)

pcoleman
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Ditto about taking the time to enjoy everything especially watching your children experience Disney. If you find yourself in DTD my DD 6 loved the all you can fill My Little Pony box with all the special Disney items for her ponies. Tip: I brought her own pony from home so we didn't have to buy any.

scootch713
05-12-2008, 01:56 PM
There is face painting in all the parks, and they do a great job. It is $15. My girls absolutely LOVE it. Also, order the photopass CD. Last year I did this and let the photographers take most of their pictures with characters and I just sat back and enjoyed watching them(or videotaped them) but dind't worry about getting my own pic of it.

ltam16
05-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Don't forget pin collecting and trading. My kids 7 & 8 loved it! Some hotels or pin stores have bingo type cards for collecting. Many hotel gift shops have big boards you can check out and trade for.

Check out all the Kidcot stops in Epcot's Future World and World Showcase. They also have Kidcot stops at Animal Kingdom--it wasn't called Kidcot though--same concept.

Hunt for Hidden Mickeys. My 7 year old was really good at it.

crltkcagle
05-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmm the only thing you are forgetting is to take me along with you! LOL What a long vacation! You should look into pin trading, and Mickey backyard bbq. You guys are going to have a great time!

little disney lovers
05-13-2008, 01:33 AM
You guys are great, Some fantastic suggestions there!
As for 'down time', I have planned some days around the ADR's in the parks, The rest of the time we'll improvise, depending on the kids mood. I think we can afford to not be so worried about what day, where, EMH, etc when we've got 3 weeks in low season. Do you think?
I will look more into the things available at the 'kidcot' stations at Epcot and the other thing at AK.
The girls are very excited about My Little Pony, We did Mr Potatoe Head in Disneyworld. That sounds great.
Love the make your own ears thing, Must do!
Dole Whip? It's on the list!
Photo Frames is a must, we have one from each of our trips to Disneyland.
Need to find out more about the Photopass, It sounds like a great idea!
Face Painting, My girls will love that, Where can you do that?
Pin Trading, definately, We started in 2005 at Disneyworld!
Keep them coming!:mickey:

little disney lovers
05-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Tried to forget that one!
I think we might start walking as a family 3-4 times a week so we don't get too tired.
The preparation walking might help with the swimsuit issue at the waterparks aswell!!!:mickey:

RockinRollerMom
05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow! It looks like you already have some great things planned for an unforgetable Disney trip!

Just a couple of other ideas...

POFQ does special things in their food courts in the afternoon. DD got to wear and apron and decorate a cookie with a CM. She also got to participate in a parade around the food court with musical instruments. All the kids were given madri gras beads to wear that they got to keep. DD loved this so much!

You can try to ride in the front of the monorail with the driver. We did this last trip and I don't know who enjoyed it more, DH or DD. All you have to do is ask. When we asked there was already some-one waiting to ride up front for the next monorail so we had to wait for the monorail after that. It wasn't a long wait (10-15 minutes) and DD enjoyed it just as much as any them park ride.

I noticed that you have booked CRT, which I think your girls will love. You might also want to consider making an ADR for Akershus Royal Banquet Hall in Norway. If you DD's are fans of the other princesses this is a great place to meet them!

My whole family also really enjoys making ADR's for restaurants at different resorts. (especially the deluxes) I noticed that you already made ADR's for restaurants at the GF and Poly. You might want to consider Boma to check out AKL or Cape May to check out the Beach Club. I think the resorts have some of the best restaurants on-site and it so much fun to walk around and check out the grounds. (and dream about which deluxe we will stay at when I can finally talk DH into spending the $$ to stay at one.)

I hope you have a fabulous trip! Make sure you write a trip report when you get back!!

KayDee
05-13-2008, 02:20 PM
My DH and I are so excited for you and your family. Being there for 3 weeks would be super! A couple of suggestions we have are:

1. Try to get a haircut at the MK.
2. Try a round of minature golf. One is at Blizzard Beach and the other is near the Swan/Dolphin resort.
3. Port Orleans resort has a carriage ride that goes around the grounds.
4. POR right beside POFQ has Piano Bob who performs on different nights (not sure on his schedule). He is great for both adults and kids.

Taja
05-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Labour Day weekend is Saturday, August 30, 2008 through Monday, September 1, 2008.

Expect larger crowds those days. I doubt it will rival the major holidays, but expect the parks to be busier.

Mackflava99
05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
The fishing excursions are tremendous, my family and i had a ball- we caught 47 fish !!!

ltam16
05-13-2008, 08:01 PM
go to tom sawyer island and look for paint brushes. if you find one it is a fast pass for btmr or splash mt!

also we wewre there for mk rope drop and my kids loved getting pixie dust to throw in air and the countdown to opening.

they aslo loved dhs the animation show at the end there is another area where they teach you how to draw disney characters. we did it 3 times.

little disney lovers
05-14-2008, 05:40 AM
SO many ideas!
I have read every WDW guide book I could get my hands on and they don't tell you all these great things! Should'nt have wasted my money, You Intercotees are full of knowledge!
OK, POFQ afternoon activities, that sound great!
Monorail, did know about that one but had forgotten to put it on my list, Thanks!
Akershus and Boma, have got ADR's.
Couldn't get a ADR for Cape Mays, but will keep trying!
The DD's will love having a haircut in MK, On the list.
Miniture Golf, I think we get some vouchers with our MYW package.
The Carriage sounds great, a Must Do!
Will look out for Piano Bob!
Haven't looked into the fishing, but we have a boat back home. DH tossed up between fishing and Richard Petty, He choose RP.
What a cool idea, a 'treasure hunt' at Tom Sawyer Island, First thing in the morning or anytime?
The DD's will love the Animation show, DD7 is a budding artist!
MY FAVOURITE, The MK rope drop, How Cool! So you need to be right at the front when they drop the ropes from Main Street into the park?
And Labour Day, How Busy? Should we shop that day?
Don't stop guys, I am loving building my 'Must Do' list with all these cool things! x