PDA

View Full Version : Brown Derby or Cali grill???

laurenC325
05-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I have booked the fantasmic package at Brown Derby but I'm thinking of switching to California Grill instead. We are going to be on the Dining Plan. Are they both the same amount of credits? What time would we have to eat to be there for fireworks at California Grill? We are going to be there for our honeymoon. Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated. :confused: :thanks:

bicker
05-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Both restaurants are 2TS restaurants. They both have their advantages, and both have their disadvantages. I feel they're pretty much comparable: There are some 2TS restaurants that are better than both, and some that aren't better.

Timing depends on when Wishes is being presented. When are you actually visiting?

Personally, I prefer seeing Wishes in person -- in the Magic Kingdom park -- rather than from California Grill, the Polynesian Beach, or anyplace else.

laurenC325
05-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks! Also should we dress up when going there?

laurenC325
05-11-2008, 08:56 PM
We will be there Oct 6th-13th

KineGirl
05-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Cali Grill has a dress code but its really nothing more than not wearing cut offs and t shirts kind of thing. However its the perfect opportunity to dress up if you like ... of course you could do that at Brown Derby as well. As far as choosing I prefer the Cali menu to the Brown Derby but thats me. You should check them out as they are both quite different. And I agree regarding seeing Wishes in person but theres nothing wrong with seeing it a second time from Cali Grill ;)

Jared
05-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Both restaurants cost two table service credits on the Disney Dining Plan. California Grill has a loose casual dress code, prohibiting cutoffs, jeans, and T-shirts. You don't have to dress too nicely, but realize it is an upscale restaurant and deserves that respect.

The Hollywood Brown Derby expects its guests to be in their park attire, considering it is inside Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I would probably choose California Grill, especially if you could see Wishes during dinner. The staff dims the lights and pipes the music into the dining room, leading to a special fireworks experience.

That said, you really can't go wrong here.

:tasty:

garymacd
05-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Can't decide between the two. Do both!!!!

:rotfl:

Natazu
05-11-2008, 10:59 PM
As a fan of both restaurants, I have to say California Grill is a better meal all around. It's hard to beat.

Kairi_7378
05-12-2008, 08:56 AM
As others have said both restaurants are 2TS. We have eaten at both and enjoyed them very much. I think CA Grill has a definite edge over Brown Derby as far as food, service, and atmosphere. Definitely a place to visit on your honeymoon. I would dress up a little bit to go there... at least khakis and a nice shirt. DH always wears a tie when we go there, although it isn't required. Brown Derby's food is also wonderful. The service is good and it feels like a haven in the middle of Hollywood Studios. Is there any way that you can pay OOP for a meal and experience both restaurants?

Disnamic Duo
05-12-2008, 01:56 PM
We love them both, but the best meal I've ever had at WDW was at Brown Derby (pan fried grouper), and we LOVE the Cobb Salad as an appetizer. They're both really nice restaurants (atmosphere), with a slight edge to Cali Grill for the terrific view of Wishes. I agree with others that the best view for Wishes is inside the MK, but if you've already seen it in the park before, the view from CG is a great alternate way to see it. If you go to CG, get your reservation for about an hour prior to the start of Wishes. Ours was 30 mins prior, and we JUST got seated before it started.

Both restaurants are great!