PDA

View Full Version : A Very Short Anniversary Trip

Mary M
05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Last weekend was our anniversary, so we ran off to WDW for a short trip.

Anniversary Trip Report

Friday (May 2)

David and I got up super early (like 4:30 – ouch!) to make our plane. Travel went smoothly, even though we were worried when we saw the line for security snaking across the whole lobby! Fortunately, though it was long, it was super fast, so we got through quickly and easily.

During the flight, my ear plugged up, and wouldn’t unplug when we landed. That hurt. We got our car, drove over to the Beach Club and checked in. I got our free anniversary buttons, and was very relieved when my ear finally cleared.

We got to our room, changed clothes and got into touring mode (sunscreen, pins, sunglasses), then headed into Epcot (after buying our annual passes!) for lunch.

Lunch was at Tokyo Dining, one of the new restaurants in the Japan Pavilion. We were on the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan, so we got an appetizer, an entrée, and a dessert at every meal (oof!). I was full after my delicious tofu salad (that came with about a 4 oz block of tofu, perfectly cooked), but I soldiered on through my chicken and shrimp tempura. Because we were wearing our anniversary pins, they brought us a piece of cake – in addition to the two desserts we ordered. OMG. The chocolate ginger cake and the green tea pudding (which was more of a crème caramel) were fantastic.

After lunch, we went back, napped (we’d been up since 4:30, remember), and went swimming in Stormalong Bay. Best. Pool. Ever. Really, fantastic. After swimming for a while, we changed for dinner at the California Grill.

CG is one of our favorite restaurants, if not our very favorite, at WDW, and this dinner did not disappoint. I had an appetizer of an asparagus and lemon soup with lump crab. David had foie gras. I asked for the veal entrée but without the veal. I just asked the kitchen for a no-mammal substitution and got halibut. Very good. David had the super sushi entrée. After dinner we went out on the roof to watch the fireworks, and sip the free champagne they gave us because it was our anniversary. At this point, unfortunately, I had completely lost my voice. It was probably a combination of allergies, sleep deprivation, sun, and alcohol. But I was down to gazing lovingly at David. And eating our dessert. I had a molten chocolate cake and raspberry sherbet. David had a fried cinnamon wonton and banana dessert. Good stuff.

We had originally planned to go to Epcot for Extra Magic Hours, but it was already 11:00 and we were exhausted.

Saturday

The next morning, we met our friend Mike and headed out to Animal Kingdom, after a wonderful breakfast at the Kona Café (I had Pineapple Macadamia pancakes, David had Tonga Toast, and Mike had a Big Kahuna). We had only 3 items on the agenda for AK: Finding Nemo: the Musical, Expedition: Everest, and lunch at Yak & Yeti. I was still feeling under the weather, so we grabbed fastpasses for EE and went to see the first show of Nemo. It was excellent. We’ve been listening to the music nonstop all week. The only downside was that it made me miss the boys even more than before. I was a wreck. But then we rode Everest, and everything was all better. Fantastic ride. Fun, creative, and scary in a good way. Lunch at Y&Y was fine. Our server was clearly kind of new, so she wasn’t great. Food was good, though. I had duck, and of course couldn’t finish it.

The guys went on to Epcot, and I went back to the room for a nap, because I was still feeling a little worn out. After my nap, I met up with the guys in Mexico. We rode a bunch of things: the new Mexico ride, the new O Canada movie, Nemo and Friends, and Mission Space (the green version). Because we took the least efficient route possible, this took up the rest of the afternoon. Mike had to leave, and David and I went off to dinner at Teppan Edo. After eating appetizer, entrée, and dessert at every meal, we were pretty stuffed at this point, but we managed to have a great meal at Teppan Edo. I had the same tofu salad I had had the previous day, plus teppan chicken. We got our desserts to go and watched Illuminations. The globe is looking a little ragged – a lot of the lights are out. Anyway, we walked back the long way around, which was probably a mistake. By the time we got around to Mouse Gears, I was exhausted and my legs really hurt. And we still had to walk all the way back to the Beach Club, then the long walk to our room. Ow ow. But we made it, and I was asleep very quickly.

The next day, we grabbed breakfast on the run and left. Aside from a quick detour in Pleasantville, er, Celebration, looking for gas (if I didn’t have my iPhone with Google Maps, we might still be there), our trip home was uneventful. Although we came back with sore legs and I had no voice, it was a great, if brief, trip.

BluewaterBrad
05-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Sounds like a successful trip! I enjoyed your report!

SBETigg
05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Aw, it sounds like a magical anniversary trip. Happy belated anniversary! Great report, wonderful meals. Thanks for sharing.

laward32
05-11-2008, 04:27 PM
A great short trip. That is alot of food on the Deluxe plan. I was debating splurging and getting it for our trip in May, but after your report I think I will pass.
Thanks for your report.:mickey:

faline
05-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Sounds like a very fun and delicious way to celebrate your anniversary!

Mary M
05-11-2008, 05:43 PM
A great short trip. That is alot of food on the Deluxe plan. I was debating splurging and getting it for our trip in May, but after your report I think I will pass.
Thanks for your report.:mickey:

Yeah, it was. And we were there specifically to eat!

ChipnDaleGal
05-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I am sorry that you were feeling under the weather, but it sounds like a wonderful little anniversary trip despite that. Thank you for sharing, and belated Happy Anniversary!! :mickey:

TikiGoddess
05-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I smiled when I read about your thoughts on the Nemo show. When I went to see it I was thinking of my kids too and missed them terribly!

Glad you had a great weekend!
TikiG

Bethis26fan
05-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Sounds like a nice trip.

vizsla
05-13-2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the report.

wdwgrl377
05-13-2008, 11:26 AM
What a great Anniversary trip! Thanks for sharing! :mickey:

Katzateer
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Sounds like your short trip was fun except for you feeling bad a lot of it.

You had a better experience at California Grill than we did. I went on my birthday and the waitress was told it was my birthday by my daughter and friend.

They did nothing special and the service wasn't great anyway. We go to California Grill most trips and this was the first time I was disappointed. But the food was as great as always.

We had gone to CG for our 30th anniversary a few years ago and they did some extra special things for us. Glad they made your special occasion even more special.

Thanks for sharing.:mickey: