PDA

View Full Version : sad, but need to vent

sardanem
05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Let me start by saying that I have had a dog in my house since I was 5 years old. When my husband and I rented our first place, I made him move after 6 months to a place that allowed pets. I have treated my dogs like members of the family and I would like to think they all led happy lives in the time that they spent with us. Jump ahead to today. My beloved dog is very sick. They don't know exactly what is wrong with her, but she has been on all kinds of medication and just getting worse. She is now unable to use her back legs at all. We will be bringing her to the vets tomorrow for what I am sure will be her last day on earth. I am totally distraught and so upset. I can't stop crying. I have been through this 4 other times and each time I say I won't do it again and then in about a month, we go get another dog because I am so miserable. I think the only thing that is keeping me going is that I have become obsessed with planning my Disney trip. It is trip that I probably can't afford, especially with the prices of everything going up, but yet, I want to go. Reading these boards helps because it takes my mind off things. I know some people don't understand how someone could get so attached to an animal, but I do and it is breaking my heart to see her just laying there. She has given up. I can see it in her eyes. Anyway, sorry so long, but I wanted to get this out there and say thanks to eveyone who contributes to keeping the magic alive.

Lisa:(

Tick-Tock
05-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I am so sorry about your beloved dog. It is so hard to make that decision, but you're doing the right thing for her. You're right, a lot of people don't understand how attached you can become, but those of us with furry friends wouldn't trade the love they give us for the world, even though we all too quickly are faced with saying goodbye.

tinkerbellybutton
05-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Lisa,
I am so sorry to hear about your furry baby. :hug: It's so hard to look past how much we love them and do what's best for them but you are one of the strong loving "moms". I do understand how you can be attached to animals which is why in my mothers day post I also put it out to moms of fur babies. They can be just as large a part of our family as people. One of my dear friends can not have human babies so her dogs are her children. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending pixie dust to get you through this tough time :pixie: :pixie:

MNNHFLTX
05-11-2008, 02:16 PM
:( I can totally understand why you are feeling the pain you feel right now. Our pets do become special members of our family and it is such a difficult thing to see them so sick. So prayers and :pixie: of comfort on it's way to you and your beloved dog. Give her lots of love today and let us know how it goes at the vet tomorrow.

mrsgaribaldi
05-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through and I'm so sorry.
Like Tinkerbellybutton said "It's so hard to look past how much we love them and do what's best for them but you are one of the strong loving "moms". "
I think that says it all. One of the hardest things we've ever done is put my cat, Cat, to sleep. He was almost 19 and I had gotten him when I was 19. He was the best cat in the world, the most good natured animal you could ever meet. He was starting to look old for years but I know he was not suffering and he had a good life. When his time had come we were with him at the end. He looked like a kitten all over again in his face, so peaceful that it helped me to see him look so happy. It helped that I cut some of his hair to keep.
Know that whatever you are going through tomorrow you will not be alone. And your fur baby will be welcomed by literally tons of pets, from your own family, and all of ours. Stay strong, it will get better.:hug::hug:

SBETigg
05-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Lisa, I'm so sorry. It's hard to say goodbye. :hug:

KineGirl
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Lisa Im so so sorry. How heartbreaking. I totally feel your pain :( Ive had to make some really tough choices myself this past year. Our stinky (our word for crazy) kitty, PJ was hit by a car this winter and it broke his back. He was my daughters cat (but secretly me and him were best buds) and that made it double hard to come to terms with what we had to do. Plus not a year before I lost my best friend kitty of 14 years, Moofy, to heart disease. They are family, children even, to us as I know your sweet puppy girl is to you. I know, without even knowing you, that you've done everything and anything you could to give her the best, most loving and longest life possible - and Im sure she'd tell you thank you if she could and in her own special way, I bet she has. 19 years is an amazing life for a doggy. You must be one great mama. :hug:

Marilyn Michetti
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm soooooo sorry about your sweet doggie. We lost our Bentley (bassett), six months ago this next week, and I think about him all the time. Just think about all the wonderful years you had with him that he wouldn't have had with ANYBODY else ! You're doing the kindest thing possible, but it sure hurts !!!!:paw::dog::paw:!

merlinmagic4
05-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm so sorry about your dog. Our pets are like family, too and I dread having to make that decision someday. :pixie: for you and your doggie too.

Kairi_7378
05-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, Lisa. Loosing a pet like a dog or cat is one of the hardest things to go through. They are one of the family, in a way that fish never are. I wish there was something to do to make you feel better but I will be thinking of you and your dog tomorrow.

garymacd
05-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I feel your pain having done this several times as well. Always remember the happy times. It will be bittersweet, but remember the joys and the tears make us all human and lets us feel alive!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
05-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I am so sorry for you and your fur baby.:(

Our pets are a major part of our family. I know how hard it is to see them in pain, sick etc.

You will be in my thoughts.:hug:

cal5755
05-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Lisa you have my sympathies... I am in tears now after reading your post. My Nana passed away last week..Her wake and funeral were last thursday and friday....Shortly before she passed her beloved dog Major passed. My Nana's passing was quick after a week in icu. Her dog Major was being kept in the Vets basement until they were able to have a burial for him. We ended up convincing the funeral home to allow Major to be buried with Nana (shhh that is not supposed to happen). It was only fitting as Nana did everything with Major.. she even put him in a baby carrier and carried him around the grocery stores. I can Nana sitting on a park bench talking to her brother and sister holding major on her lap with my 2 cousins at her feet....all of them together embraced in God's love.

We have 2 dogs in our house...one is 14 years old (Fugly) and one is 3 (cujo). I can sympathize in many ways for your situation!!

katzctkpt
05-11-2008, 10:34 PM
My Nana passed away last week..Her wake and funeral were last thursday and friday....Shortly before she passed her beloved dog Major passed. My Nana's passing was quick after a week in icu. Her dog Major was being kept in the Vets basement until they were able to have a burial for him. We ended up convincing the funeral home to allow Major to be buried with Nana (shhh that is not supposed to happen). It was only fitting as Nana did everything with Major.. all of them together embraced in God's love.

I'm so sorry to hear that your pet is sick. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers tonight and hopefully the outcome will be a happy one.

Cal5755 your story just made me cry and smile at the same time. May God bless you and yours.

laprana
05-12-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm so, so sorry for what you're going through. My pets are a huge part of my family I love them so much, so I know exactly how you feel! It's so hard to make that decision. Lots of prayers and :pixie: to help you through this hard time.

sardanem
05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Thank you so much to all of you who responded. It is so nice to know there are nice peopleout there who can understand. My husband and parents brought her to the vet this morning because I just couldn't go. The vet said the cancer just took over her body and said it was her time. I know I did the right thing, but the pain us sometimes unbearable. I have given up trying to be strong for my kids. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them see you cry when sad things happen. I know in time it will get better. My head knows that. Now I have to convince my heart of it.:(. Again thank you all so much. Sammi and I appreciate it.

Lisa

faline
05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I'm so sorry.

Jasper
05-12-2008, 12:12 PM
So sorry to hear about your beloved pet! Unless a person has a heart of stone then any long term pet gets into our heart and homes just like any other member of the family. You should be proud of yourself that you have enough love in your heart to share it with other pets after you lose a long term friend like that. It would be easy after a tough loss like that to say enough, I am not going to start over with that whole puppy thing and with putting my heart out knowing that eventually this pet too shall pass. But, those who have an enormous amount of love always find a way to pick up and share that love again!

KineGirl
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I had to come check back in :hug: I agree that there is nothing wrong letting your feelings show when sad things like this happens. In fact I think its healthy. My thoughts are with you.. stay strong mama.

I am PMing you

mrsgaribaldi
05-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm so sorry Lisa. I agree though, don't try to hold it in. You are grieving a very real loss and people know that. When my cat, Mr Garibaldi, died suddenly at the age of 3, I couldn't even talk about him for about 3 years without crying. You are right, it will get better with time. I'm so sorry though. Remember the good times you all had.:hug::pixie::pixie::pixie:

biodtl
05-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I have been there with both dogs and cats and it never gets easier. But you should feel comforted in the fact that you provided her a great life, full of love.

ShelbyAD
05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I am very sorry about your "baby". :grouphug: I broke down and cried while reading all these posts. I to have a dog that is my baby (since I don't have kids of my own). We have had her for almost 8 yrs. She will be 8 yrs old in August. I can't even imagine my life without her. I work days & DH works nights, so she is my companion at night. I often call her my "life saver".

TONS of :pixie: coming your way.

ChipnDaleGal
05-13-2008, 03:33 PM
You will never regret doing the right thing for Sammi, but that doesn't make it any easier to go through. Loving an animal as a part of the family and then letting it go is one of the hardest emotional things to go through. Good luck on the healing and getting to the point where you can think about her and smile instead of cry. :hug:

Stitchahula
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Lisa, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to do the best thing for our furbabies. I've had to make that choice for 2 of my girls in the last 2 years. I know what you mean about the head knows it's the right thing to do but the heart is screaming out in pain. I hope you know that you did the hardest most loving thing you could do for your pup, you took their pain and suffering and put it onto yourself. It's never an easy choice but I believe it would be so much harder to watch them suffer. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.

Crystal Palace
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Let me start by saying that I have had a dog in my house since I was 5 years old. When my husband and I rented our first place, I made him move after 6 months to a place that allowed pets. I have treated my dogs like members of the family and I would like to think they all led happy lives in the time that they spent with us. Jump ahead to today. My beloved dog is very sick. They don't know exactly what is wrong with her, but she has been on all kinds of medication and just getting worse. She is now unable to use her back legs at all. We will be bringing her to the vets tomorrow for what I am sure will be her last day on earth. I am totally distraught and so upset. I can't stop crying. I have been through this 4 other times and each time I say I won't do it again and then in about a month, we go get another dog because I am so miserable. I think the only thing that is keeping me going is that I have become obsessed with planning my Disney trip. It is trip that I probably can't afford, especially with the prices of everything going up, but yet, I want to go. Reading these boards helps because it takes my mind off things. I know some people don't understand how someone could get so attached to an animal, but I do and it is breaking my heart to see her just laying there. She has given up. I can see it in her eyes. Anyway, sorry so long, but I wanted to get this out there and say thanks to eveyone who contributes to keeping the magic alive.

Lisa:(

My heart just breaks for you sweetie.:( I know exactly how you feel. I've got two Golden Retrievers now, one of which is my son, and three more Goldens up in heaven now. It's so hard to lose them and so unfair that they don't get to live that long. My thoughts and prayers are with you in this difficult time.:(

joanakaylene
05-21-2008, 12:49 PM
i am so sorry for your loss. my dog passed away in 2005, he had cancer that also spread quickly but we didn't have a chance to put him down. i came home for a weekend from college, we spent an afternoon together laying on the floor cuddling and eating girl scout cookies and the next morning he woke me up from the foot of my bed. i woke up to pet him and my dad came to pick him up to take him outside to use the bathroom and he passed in my dad's arms.

its hard to lose a part of your family like that, but that will never outweigh the good times and memories that you make while they are there with you. and that's what make it all worth it.its been three years, and i still cry from time to time and always take the time to stop and say hi to him when i visit my parents.

i hope you find comfort someday by bringing in another dog to your family. keep spreading the love!

Bethis26fan
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry too. I also understand what it's like to loose a 4 legged family member. They are very much part of the family. I know there's nothing than can be said but i just wanted to let you know I'm truly sorry.

daparish
05-21-2008, 10:00 PM
I am very sorry about your "baby". :grouphug: I broke down and cried while reading all these posts. I to have a dog that is my baby (since I don't have kids of my own). We have had her for almost 8 yrs. She will be 8 yrs old in August. I can't even imagine my life without her. I work days & DH works nights, so she is my companion at night. I often call her my "life saver".

TONS of :pixie: coming your way.

I feel the same way. My life seems to revolve around my dog Beaux. My dh is always preaching to me "but he is a dog". I started to read these post while at work and could not finish. I can't imagine my life without my puppy.

daparish
05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Thank you so much to all of you who responded. It is so nice to know there are nice peopleout there who can understand. My husband and parents brought her to the vet this morning because I just couldn't go. The vet said the cancer just took over her body and said it was her time. I know I did the right thing, but the pain us sometimes unbearable. I have given up trying to be strong for my kids. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting them see you cry when sad things happen. I know in time it will get better. My head knows that. Now I have to convince my heart of it.:(. Again thank you all so much. Sammi and I appreciate it.

Lisa

Lisa,
I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

kakn7294
05-21-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm so sorry and I truly feel your pain. I just went through this suddenly with my cat yesterday. She was her usual self in the morning and when I came home in the afternoon, she couldn't walk. We took her to the vet who told us she most likely wouldn't survive treatment so we chose to put her down. DH is having a horrible time with it because she was his cat - it was always obvious that she loved him and just allowed me to live here. He's cried in front of the kids and even one of his co-workers. In time, your pain will lessen but right now it's awful and it's okay to cry. :hug: