PDA

View Full Version : Hot, How Hot?

little disney lovers
05-11-2008, 01:48 AM
We have booked for August 24th through to September 23. We are coming from Australia.
Our hot summer days can be 40degrees celsius (about 104 f/h), or more, with 90% humidity. And they are sticky, yukky and exhausting. But, it's the humidity that really makes a big difference.
So, everyone is saying it's really hot at that time of the year, How hot are we talking, and what is the humidity like? Does it cool down at night?
It will make packing easier if I know what I'm in for!:mickey:

Nini
05-11-2008, 04:23 AM
Hi!!

I've been several times in September - second and third weeks - and I can say that the high for the day was never below 89. I think the highest it ever got for us was 96. And yes, Florida gets very humid. For the times that we were there in September it was always humid - every day, and uncomfortably so. It cools down some at night, but never so much that we were uncomfortable in shorts and t-shirts. Some people think the restaurants and other buildings are too well air-conditioned and that sweaters are needed. I don't find this to be the case, but I really can't take the heat and LOVE the air-conditioning when I can get it!!

Keep in mind too that there is a good chance for a shower in the afternoons this time of year. They usually don't last very long though, but small travel umbrellas are a good idea.

It's also hurricane season, but odds are this won't affect you anyway.

Have a great trip - sounds like you are used to that kind of weather!! Just drink plenty of fluids and take advantage of that air-conditioning!!

Denise :mickey:

Strmchsr
05-11-2008, 09:34 AM
The relative humidity is, well, relative. It changes depending on the temperature. The actual number to look at is the dewpoint. The higher the dewpoint, the more "moist" the air feels.

Because moist air is more difficult to heat than dry air, Florida rarely gets above the mid 90s, but the heat index with the dewpoint will make it feel like its in the 105-110 range. By the end of August you can generally expect temps in the 93-95 range for highs, and as you go into September that will drop a couple of degrees so that by the end of your trip the highs will generally be closer to 90 than 95. Click here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp) to go to Info Central and you can see the exact temps and weather conditions for the last 4 years during your dates.

Wear light, loose-fitting clothing. The reason damp heat is so dangerous is that the humidity will shut down your body's cooling system - the sweat won't evaporate. Once your body looses the ability to cool itself all sorts of problems can occur, so drink lots of water and take breaks.

Lows generally stay in the mid 70s so you don't have to worry about it cooling off too much at night.

Speedy1998
05-11-2008, 10:04 AM
High's in the 90's (Florida very rarely gets over 100's) and humidity around 90%.

Kidsmom
05-11-2008, 11:43 AM
When we were there last August 2nd and 3rd weeks. We were told the high hit over 100 twice. Also during the first week the high was never under 97. It was HOT and thick with humidity....but we were prepared and had the mind set for it. It only rained once for a couple of hours.

I carried around sweatshirts for everyone in case of A/C in rest. or cool at night....NEVER used them. The night and rest.'s were very comfortable with our tank tops and shorts.

There is so much inside WDW that you do get a break. I felt the worst park in the heat was AK as there aren't as many inside things and it always feels more crowded since the walk way are narrow.

you should be fine if you are use to the 104 degrees. Just have the mind set and be prepared with lots of hydration!

Have fun!

TheRustyScupper
05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
1) We had guests from Sydney stay with us last year.
2) Weather-wise, they felt right at home in the heat.

dnickels
05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Sounds like you'll be used to it. You can check out averages and record highs/lows at the Weather Channel website as well.

Actual temps up over 100 are actually really rare in central and southern Fla. during the summer and we only get those when a wave of dry air moves in. Otherwise the amount of humidity in the air moderates the temps a bit (relatively speaking of course). Plan on it being hot and humid, spend some time at the water parks and you'll have a blast!

little disney lovers
05-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Ok, So I'll just pack our summer clothes, We should feel right at home! Great, less to pack,
Therefore, more shopping room in the luggage!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
05-12-2008, 06:43 AM
This is a great question for those of us visiting in the summer for the first time. I've only been in the fall, winter,and spring months. So we are taking the summertime plunge only because rates are good and no need to worry about pulling the kids. I am afraid that for us NJ people it will be just awful to navigate the parks in the heat. My DH who has been to FL in the summer before keeps telling me with a wicked gleam in his eye that I don't know what I'm in for, stepping outside in the midday sun is like getting hit with a hammer. No joke, this is what I'm hearing!

letsdoitagain
05-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I would say your husband is right. We were there last August (1st week) and the heat index was 100+ everyday with 90+% humidity. We went to the parks in the morning, left around noon, took an afternoon nap and went back to the parks around 5 or 6pm. That seemed to work pretty well for us (we have a 6 & 8 year old).

We are from Pittsburgh, PA so the heat and humidity was definitly not what we are used to.

We are going again this August (2nd week) and know what to expect. Drink lots of gatoraid or water.:D

katzctkpt
05-12-2008, 08:11 AM
We've been mid July and last week of July. It was in the mid 90's and the humidity was high. From the way it sounds you should feel right at home. Be sure to drink plenty of water (bottled) FL water taste :ack: and take breaks.
We also left parks around 12-1 for snack/:fworks: lunch, nap, or pool break. Returning to parks after dinner or eating at the park. For us an early dinner (4:30 - 5:30 ) worked better and later having a snack watching the parades & :fworks: .

Young@Heart
05-13-2008, 12:24 AM
We've been in early July and found it very hot, but not to the point of impacting our fun. :mickey: MK and DHS have so many attractions close together (many w/ AC) which makes them feel "cooler" than AK and Epcot, which are more spread out w/ more walking. We try to go at a slower pace at these parks and take a longer break. :thumbsup:

cajunbaby1
05-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Three words: HOT AND HUMID.
Wear cool clothes; drink enough water to drown a fish and use plenty of suncreen.
Also make sure to take a break during the day to recharge. The hot florida sun can be really hard on people; esp kids and the elderly.