View Full Version : VMK Protest Story Mercury News

JPL
05-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Here is the story

Players protest closing of Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom
By RYAN NAKASHIMA AP Business Writer
Article Launched: 05/09/2008 01:48:32 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES—OMG! VMK is going away.
A group that has invested three years in playing a free online game called Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom is upset that the house that made Mickey Mouse is pulling the plug on the world.

The game, launched in the summer of 2005 to promote the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, attracted thousands of fans who created more than 1 million avatars who trade virtual items and play games to earn credits.

On Saturday morning, members of the group plan to protest the game's shuttering around the entrance to Disneyland in Anaheim. The game is set to close on May 21 at 10 p.m. Pacific time.

"I've put three years of my life into this," said Andrew Lawson, a 16-year-old from Sun City, Calif.

Lawson said he plays the game 20 hours a week and has developed friendships with other players that can't be replaced elsewhere.

According to VMK.com rules, players are not allowed to reveal their real identities, e-mail addresses or phone numbers as a safety measure—rules enforced by staff monitors. The game is only open when moderated, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Pacific time.

Scott Lawson, Andrew's father, said his family stayed at the Disneyland Resort three times, spending about $2,000 each time, to obtain a virtual hat based on Disney's "Lilo & Stitch" series.

"We're saddened and upset at how Disney handled this whole thing," said the 45-year-old traveling salesman.

Walt Disney Co. spokesman John Spelich, a vice president in the Walt Disney Internet Group, said the company decided to close the site because it was promotional and he encouraged players to go to other Disney virtual worlds.
DisneyFairies.com had nearly 6 million avatars created in its "Pixie Hollow" game, while Disney's "ToonTown Online" had more than 20 million, the company said.

Combined with "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" and "Club Penguin," more than 40 million avatars have been created in other Disney worlds. Portions of each site were free.

"You'd rather do anything in the world than disappoint a guest," Spelich said. "But in this particular instance, this promotional site is going to come to an end. We have invited those players who like features of VMK to sample the other ways we're offering to engage with Disney online."

terri.m
05-11-2008, 12:47 AM
:mad: they just don't get it!

All those sites, except pirates, are geared to kids! VMK is for everyone! Nothing on those other sites appeal to me at all.

:(

JPL
05-11-2008, 01:08 AM
And I'm sorry but I don't believe their numbers at all. Do the math Online is a very small percentage of their profits with those numbers of 40 million players at $6 a month they would be bringing in $240 Million a month or almost $3 Billion per year. If anyone believes that i have some beach front property in Ohio to sell you.

RockDoctor
05-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Name me one other site where you can go to Disneyland! I don't want to be a fairy or a pirate or a penquin. I want to be a little virtual me hanging out with my virtual friends at the happiest virtual place on earth. We made countless trips to DLR for Stitch hats and other quests. Disney didn't lose any money on us with this promotion. Even though I haven't been able to play as much lately, it breaks my heart to think it will be gone forever. How can they do that? Can't we pay to play like the other sites? I would gladly pay to keep all my rooms and my stuff - not to mention my friends.

Randypandy
05-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Yeah and they want us to pay to play on those games to get somewhere.:angry: Like i said before it all comes down to money , that's why they are closing down vmk. Because it's a free game. To them it's just a waste of time and operations they can't afford to keep up. To us it's a way of making friends and playing games with those friends. Disney does not care about what we think or how we feel about this game. They just think if they take it away we'll go somewhere else. THERE'S NO OTHER GAME THAT COMPARES TO DISNEY. :mad::mad:

JPL
05-11-2008, 01:16 AM
They just think if they take it away we'll go somewhere else.

Yup and they will soon learn that place will not be Disney

fluffies
05-11-2008, 07:56 PM
:mad: they just don't get it!

:(

You're right: they don't. They really don't understand just how much has been invested into this game, and not just speaking financially. These are bonds that could not have been created anywhere else and, in some cases, may not be able to continue anywhere else...

jjramsey
05-12-2008, 06:04 AM
And I'm sorry but I don't believe their numbers at all. Do the math Online is a very small percentage of their profits with those numbers of 40 million players at $6 a month they would be bringing in $240 Million a month or almost $3 Billion per year. If anyone believes that i have some beach front property in Ohio to sell you.

Yep!!!
Getting a headache? :bang:

milklady
05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
VMK should have thought about putting up a place where people can find each other after the game ends. I realize they have toontown and POTC but since i can never find anyone on POTC and dont play toontown it doesn't help me or anyone else. I realize we have sites like this one but not everyone i know is on this site. Hoping to connect with everyone that i have become such good friends with.:grouphug:

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
:ditto:

readytogo2
05-24-2008, 08:04 PM
well im sorry but it is not the same! VMK was a placew that you could go and hang and play games with friends with out being a pirate fairy or a peguin. So i think it is dumb of it to shut down i dont care what they say it was all about MONEY!

TinkRocks
05-25-2008, 11:22 AM
If VMK was 'just a promotion' - why didn't Disney pull the plug in December 2005 at the end of the 50th Celebration. That's why VMK existed in the first place, wasn't it?

Disney obviously recognized the game was popular - why didn't they implement some sort of pay to play system on January 1, 2006, and give that a test run?

PopDivaPaige
07-22-2008, 07:04 PM
I was very addicted to the game, and am terribly sad that it is gone. I tried those other games they advertised. Not nearly as fun as VMK. I even tried VFK, but it is nowhere near as fun. But I did hear about something called VMK Stories? I heard that it is "The new VMK". I'm not sure though.

Patricia
07-23-2008, 05:17 PM
VMK Stories was an action game (based on vmk) tested but never opened to the public. At one time, it was thought it may be an addition to VMK. There is no official word saying we will ever see it come to life... but who knows?

:confused: