PDA

View Full Version : Birthday - but not quite

thejens
05-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Our upcoming disney trip ends just a couple days before my neice's birthday. She is six and this trip is her birthday present. I'd love to do something special or get her special recognition, but don't want to be dishonest. It doesn't seem quite right to me for her to wear a birthday badge when it isn't actually yet her birthday. Or am I being overly concerned? I don't want to teach her to be dishonest. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Like maybe tell the waitress that she will be seven in just a few days and we are celebrating? Thanks for any ideas!

J9
05-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I am wearing my birthday badge all week when we go! I've never been for my birthday before and I am going to revel it because I might never be for my bday again!

I don't see anything wrong with this. They don't check IDs when giving out the pins to make sure it's actually your bday!

the other micki
05-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Definitely let that sweet six year-old wear a birthday pin. What a great age to celebrate your birthday at the World! I know that with my kids, we don't always celebrate their birthdays on the exact date that they were born. This past year, my sons shared a birthday party, so one celebrated 2 weeks late and one a month ahead! See, it's fine!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-09-2008, 10:21 PM
We went down in Dec for my Oct birthday. That was the purpose of the trip so I wore a birthday button. By all means let her wear it.

thejens
05-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Wow I guess I am too much of a rule follower!!!

Disneyatic
05-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Definitely get the button for her and let her wear it as much as she wants! :party:
We went in Sept and the last full day of the trip was DD's 8th b-day. When we checked in our CM gave her a button and I said "Oh, you can wear that Friday!" and she said "This is Disney, put it on right now and celebrate all week"
It was very sweet all the good wishes and attention that she got!
We are going in Dec this year and are going to celebrate our anniversary even though it will be a few weeks late.

Figment104
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I'd definitely say let her wear it. Our 1st anniversary is actually next month but due partially to work we aren't able to go until Oct (also bc I'd like to experience WD is OCT and not in the heat of summer) and since that's what we're planning on doing to celebrate our 1st anniversary we're going to get the anniversary buttons. Yes it'll be 4 months after the fact but that's the reason we're going. We're not doing anything else for our anniversary except going out for a nice dinner so I say why not live it up if that's the reason for going, especially since her birthday is so close, unlike our anniversary :blush::secret:

pink
05-15-2008, 07:58 PM
My DBF and I are going to visit Sep. 28th- Oct. 2nd and my birthday isn't until Oct. 14th however, I plan to wear my Disney birthday pin for as long as I can! Don't worry about it and let her enjoy all the attention! :mickey:

KAT1811
05-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Definitely let that sweet six year-old wear a birthday pin.

:ditto: After all it is a birthday trip, just a bit early. Think of it as going out on Saturday night when your birthday was the preceding Tuesday, still your birthday dinner although it is not really your birthdate.

I am wearing my birthday badge all week when we go! I've never been for my birthday before and I am going to revel it because I might never be for my bday again!

We are going in November and two of our daughters will be celebrating their birthdays in WDW and they will also be wearing their birthday pins whenever they want. We have never celebrated a birthday in WDW so we are planning to do it up this time!!!

Have a great trip and "Happy Birthday" to your niece!!!!

Young@Heart
05-15-2008, 11:26 PM
I say let her celebrate!!!! :party:
I can understand the concern about explaining it to her. I have a 4yo DD (almost 5) and there's such a fine line between honesty and dishonesty , and I try very hard to make sure we don't cross it. If she's confused, just be honest w/ her and explain that since she won't be there on her actual birthday, she gets to celebrate it early during her 'birthday week'!!! :cloud9:

TammiMcMan
05-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I don't think too many people actually get to be in the world on the exact day of their celebration. If you feel uncomfortable asking for a free dessert at the restaurant because it's not her actual date, you can always pay for a birthday cake. They have small pre-made ones available when you check in at the podium, or you can call the restaurant 48 hours in advance to order a custom made design.

Personally, I'd feel comfortable provided we were within a month of the actual event. That's just me though.

MsMin
05-17-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm a stickler for rules too but when I went for my BD last month and told the CM who was wearing a BD button that mine was tomorrow she said well where's your pin??? she said to celebrate the whole time you are there! In fact on Disney's web site they suggest to celebrate it when you can and understand that not everyone can get there on the exact day. So we have Walt's permission so what else? If you have ADR's let them know in advance that you are celebrating a BD! :cake:

irish1967
05-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Personally, I think that as long as you have your niece respond "yes, this is my birthday trip, I actually turn 7 on July 4" or whatever you cover the being able to celebrate without being dishonest aspect of your concern.

Gooftroop5
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Our trip this year both dh's & my birthday are while we are there. We are planning on getting dd her's too because her birthday is 2 weeks later. She is giving up her birthday party with her friends since we are going. It will be along time if ever that we will celebrate her birthday at Dinsey since it is close to Christmas. We are going to surprise her with it when we get down there. This is also a big milestone birthday she turns 10 this year. The big double digits. What better way to celebrate it than at Disney.

Of course I wouldn't have even considered it until I was looking her on the boards for information for dh & my birthdays & saw people celebrating this way. Then I thought this would be a nice surprise for dd. She deserves something special too. I'm not doing my dses this year. Matter of fact we are already planning our next trip over ds#1's birthday. He is a Halloween baby. What better excuse to go to MNSSHP to celebrate a birthday?

As others have said let her get her pin & enjoy her birthday. Who says we have to celebrate just 1 day. I know people that have a birthday month. She can say this is my birethday trip its actually my birthday next week. You are only a kid once. Let her enjoy it.

KAT1811
05-20-2008, 09:41 AM
I know people that have a birthday month.

:blush: Guilty as charged! :blush:

Bethis26fan
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
I agree she's a kid it's her b-day trip let her have fun. :party:

MatterhornMiss
05-22-2008, 10:33 AM
I searched through the new moms panel on the official WDW website, and saw that many people have had the same concerns. The panel recommends to go ahead and celebrate in style and let Disney celebrate with you (I think the quote is "If you are celebrating your birthday, then Disney is celebrating your birthday.") Enjoy your trip!

jrpersinger
05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I know I planning on wearing my pin and celebrating all week too! I turn 28 ten days before we arrive at WDW. But since my girls are in school late here, there is no way we could go on my birthday. I even have a cake ordered for my b-day dinner at Rose n Crown! :party:

tyandskyesmom
05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Tyler turned 9 three days before our January 1st trip and wore his pin all 13 days of our vacation. It was a clelbration of that day. When anyone would ask him if it was his birthday he would say no and tell them when the real day was. Sometimes he was brought additional birthday desserts (like at 1900 Park Fare) but we were on the DDDP so dessert was included so usually the dessert he ordered just had a candle in it or the words "Happy Birthday" written on the plate in chocolate...he had a ball with all the attention he was getting.

Go for it...let her wear it and enjoy everyone wishing her a great year!