PDA

View Full Version : Pre-trip report for the super-short Memorial Day weekend trip

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
05-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Here is how this whole super-short trip got started: My family has been to WDW every year since 2000 and when we were there last summer we decided to buy into DVC. We bought at the AKV and are planning a big trip there next summer right after my son graduates from high school. Disney was not in the plan at all for this year, but starting in April my DD12 and I started getting “itchy” for Disney. So…I started looking at airfare “just for fun” and found a really great deal ($89 one way) from a smaller airport just about 20 miles from us on Allegiant Air which will fly to Orlando non-stop. My DH and I talked it over and couldn’t really decide if we should go for it or not. We checked out how many points it would take us to stay in a one bedroom DVC over Memorial Day Weekend and decided we would still have enough left over for next summer (since we banked this year’s points). We also knew we had enough Disney rewards from our Visa card to probably pay for our meals while we were there.

We finally decided after a couple of days that we would sleep on it one more night and if the airfare was still the same AND we could get a room on points, we would go for it. So…the next morning I took a look at the Allegiant website and the airfare had gone DOWN! It was only $69 one way, saving our family of four $160 on the previous day’s price. I immediately called DVC member services, fully expecting them to be completely booked since it was a holiday weekend. I told the girl on the phone I didn’t care which resort, any one-bedroom would do. She found us space a Saratoga Springs without any trouble. Therefore, we are leaving home about 6 PM on Thursday, May 22nd and returning on Sunday, Mary 25th (the only days Allegiant flies from our airport). We found a great deal on 10 day, hopper tickets with the water park options and no expiration so we can use them in June or July of next year for that trip too (and the water park options for perhaps years to come!).

Our plan is to hit each park just for ½ day and only get to the things we really want to see/ride. We do have an ADR at Tony’s when we’re at the Magic Kingdom (we’ve never eaten there) and we have booked the Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues for Sunday morning when we leave to come home. That is something all of us have always wanted to do. Plus, we’ll get to see Epcot in all its Flower and Garden glory. I hope this will be enough to keep me satisfied until next summer.

I’ll let you know how our first trip “home” and the super-short weekend went once we return.

ChipnDaleGal
05-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a trip that was meant to come together for your family. I hope you all have a great time, Wendy! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
05-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Have a BLAST!!:mickey:

vizsla
05-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Have a great time and a safe trip.

faline
05-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Looks like it all worked out perfectly! Have a wonderful trip!