PDA

View Full Version : No more Pal Mickey??

dumbodoughboy
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi, I had read somewhere that Pal Mickey was being phased out. Does anyone know if this is true, and about what time this would happen? Was hoping to suprise my husband with Pal Mickey for our Oct. trip, but not if he is going to become extinct....

GrumpyFan
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
This is the first I've seen or heard any mention of it. They (WDW) have a significant investment in PM and have updated him a couple of times since the original, so I would be surprised if this happened. If anything, I would expect to see PM replaced with a newer, more interactive version.

KineGirl
05-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Ive heard this rumor and whether its true or not is anyones guess. However, knowing how Disney has brought other items out in the past and then discontinued them, such as the Millenium pins (the ones that light up on certain attractions and during shows like Fantasmic) - they still work. Though those pins were discontinued after the Millenium, I still wear my Millenium pins in the World and all the attractions and such still respond to them. I would suspect that if PM was phased out they would still work for years to come! I have the original PM and have been able to update him with no worries as well.

caryrae
05-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I wonder if the thing they were doing with the Nintendo DS's for the parks has anything to do with it and they would focus on that and not the Pal Mickey's?

Maybe not since you would have to rent the DS and software to us it in the parks. Haven't heard much about this in a while so don't know if this is something they are still thinking about doing.

GrumpyFan
05-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I have the original PM and have been able to update him with no worries as well.

Can you explain this? Are you having his "brain" downloaded every so often? I've heard conflicting reports about whether that would update him or not. When you've done this does he then recognize the newer rides like E:E and Soarin and Monsters, Inc?

KineGirl
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I dont remember what attractions exactly were updated but I was talking to a CM on my last trip who told me that if you take your PM to guest relations at MK they will "update" him if he doesnt do it automatically. You would know if he is updated because he would say something or vibrate at the statue of Minnie & Roy near the flagpole at MK. Here is a thread that has a lot of info re: PM including where the interactive locations are

Pal Mickey thread (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=127089)

Intercot has info on PM

Intercot PM info (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/palmickey.asp)

JPL
05-09-2008, 08:51 AM
I know that sales of Pal Mickey have been dropping off recently and with newer technology available such as the Nintendo DS they are testing I'm guessing this rumour is true. PM is very limtied in capacity and with the DS there is much more of an oppurtunity for profits and cross promotions. They have already had special DS downloads for the POTC game so the possibilities are endless.

Stich8818
05-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I know that sales of Pal Mickey have been dropping off recently and with newer technology available such as the Nintendo DS they are testing I'm guessing this rumour is true. PM is very limtied in capacity and with the DS there is much more of an oppurtunity for profits and cross promotions. They have already had special DS downloads for the POTC game so the possibilities are endless.

This is true...I know I would be willing to pay for the software while Im there for my DS then paying for the whole PM. And not to mention more people have more DS's then PM

Flower
05-09-2008, 11:33 AM

Maybe Pal Mickey sales are down because the product is grossly overpriced. :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
05-09-2008, 11:52 AM
I never really saw that many being carried around so wonder how popular they were. We never got one because it seemed a bit cumbersome to drag around. Something like the Nintendo sounds a bit more practical to carry with you. Not as cute though.:mickey:

Young@Heart
05-11-2008, 02:14 AM
What's the deal w/ the Nintendo DS? Are there wi-fi downloads available in the parks or something? DH and the kids would love to hear this!

Patricia
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
What's the deal w/ the Nintendo DS? Are there wi-fi downloads available in the parks or something? DH and the kids would love to hear this!

Find out more info on the Nintendo DS interactive guide map here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=123614&highlight=nintendo)

Pal Mickey is supposed to update himself as you pass through the gates.. if he doesn't a CM, where he is sold, can do it for you. I have not heard about him being phased out, but I hope he still works for those who own him.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Depending on the age of your Pal Mickey he will not recognize any rides/attractions/parades etc that came into being after he was "born". You can't update him to get the new things. I believe the upgrade is only for times of parades, fireworks etc for the time frame that you are there for that particular visit.
I hadn't heard anything about him being phased out though.