PDA

View Full Version : What do you do upon check-in?

Mousemates
05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
The creepy bedbug thread :ack: got me to thinking about the things I do upon first checking into a room (i.e visually inspect wall behind bed and sheet/mattress...check bathroom for cleanliness)....anyone else have any standard things they give the once over before they unpack and move in?

mudpuppysmom
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Unless there is something glaring at me in the room (as far as cleanliness or other issues) we usually just drop our luggage, pack the fridge with water, freshen up, pack the backpack and off we go.

Last trip in January we stayed at SOG and the first few days were fine......then the bugs moved in! When I went to the front desk they told me they had no rooms available.......when I pressed the issue they found us a room.....complete with bugs yet again (It was directly above our other room). Finally the next day they moved us to a SMALLER room!! SOG is not a Disney hotel though, so you don't get the same service level and they pretty much tell you "we're NOT Disney!"......

biodtl
05-08-2008, 11:30 AM
We're so focused on getting to the parks that there would have to be a live donkey in the room for us to notice.

Although this year, I may have to take a minute to look for bed bugs.

bruin1344
05-08-2008, 01:11 PM
unpack quick and head to the parks, food, or the pool

IloveDisney71
05-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I usually just take a minute to check the cleanliness of the bathroom. Then we dump our stuff and rush off to the parks! :mickey:
However, with all of the bedbug talk everywhere...I may start checking all of my beds no matter where I'm staying (Disney or not).

mouseketeer mom
05-08-2008, 01:14 PM
SMILE!!!!!:):mickey::)

crltkcagle
05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
This reminds me of a funny story. We stayed at ASM last September. We checked into our room and noticed a smell to it but were too busy to get to the parks we didn't care. After one night of sleeping in the smell we complained to the staff that our room smelled like urine. They came up cleaned the carpets, put new bedding on and cleaned the walls and bathroom. Even after that we all still smelled it. Even the maid still smelled it. So we started sniffing to see where the odor was coming from. We finally figured out that the flowers that had been left in the room by previous occupants had a horrible smell to them. They were what was causing the urine smell. I felt bad because the maids had cleaned the room from top to bottom and as soon as we threw out the flowers the smell left too. LOL

Polynesian Dweller
05-08-2008, 01:32 PM
We do a quick look around to see that everything is in order. Its the best time to make sure that something hasn't been missed. Not often, but last year there was no shampoo. Never had a problem with cleanliness though we definitely take a look, including the beds. That's a good idea anywhere.

Aggie97
05-08-2008, 01:59 PM
We haven't had any issues with cleanliness at WDW resorts. We turn on all the lights and look around a bit just to make sure things look okay. I do like to check that the A/C works and the toilet flushes, knowing that we won't be back in the room until late that night (have had problems with these things at non-Disney hotels). :mickey:

playdead88
05-08-2008, 04:38 PM
check the view, let the desk know im expecting a grocery delivery and head to mk for a dole whip! :mickey:

Septbride2002
05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I check out the view! :cloud9:then I take a santized wipe to the phone, remote control, and buttons on the TV. I do make sure the bathroom is clean.

Then we usually unpack for a bit while we let our daughter run around - she just spent 3+ hours sitting down so she usually wants to run a bit. We get some toys out and let her play while we unpack. Then we usually go get lunch.

~Amanda

Coach48
05-09-2008, 10:01 AM
We usually arrive on a very early flight into MCO so our room is never ready.Leave bags with Bell service and straight to monorail station at the Poly.

elmjimmlm
05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
We always arrive early and dont have a room so we hit the parks...When we get to our room the bathroom is always the 1st thing that I check and then the fridge and drawers...I dont want any remains of the previous family there...

Mackflava99
05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
i like to drop my bags, pack the fridge and get out- but my wife does the super sanitizing- spraying stuff -antibacterial etc-
She has become a germaphobe, so it gets annoying.

I got my kids on my side, so usually we win out and she will give in and come with us.

Gottaluvgoof
05-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I never even gave it a thought! We catch the early flight, get to the resort, check in, dump the carry ons in the room, and head to the MK! Can't say I ever saw a bug in all my years of going to DW.

Hakuna Matata!!!! :simba:

I'm at Disney World! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
We're so focused on getting to the parks that there would have to be a live donkey in the room for us to notice.

LOL! We take the earliest flight in and our room isn't always ready... so sometimes we don't get into the room until after EMH's at one of the parks! I think if DH did see a live donkey he would try to kick it out of the way on his way to bed.

Tinkerfreak
05-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I do check the room and bathrooms and I am one of those people who wipe down the remote, phones, etc. and clean the bathroom. The first few years we went someone always got sick. DH laughed at me when I started bringing the Clorox wipes but nobody has been sick since. Also last year when we checked into the Poly and there was a dirty washcloth hanging over the shower curtain from the previous occupants:ack: he was really glad that I had my wipes to clean the bathroom. I did call housekeeping and they did not seem too concerned about it. The floor had also not been washed and there was food still in the fridge. I know some may think I am an OCD fruitcake but I really am not. I just know that if I do it myself I know it is done right and I can relax. When we pack we use those big plastic ziploc bags and put shirts in one, pants in another and so on so that when we get there I just pop the bags out of the suitcase and into the drawers and they are good to go and everything stays organized and easy to find. Plus the plastic bags come in handy if we have dirty laundry to take home. We just put it in the plastic bags to keep clean seperate from dirty.

sardanem
05-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Tinkerfreak, I love your idea of using those big ziploc bags for packing. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it for our trip in August. I never would have thought of it. This is another reason I love this board..

Lisa:mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I actually don't do this when I first check-in. I just drop the bags in the room and head to the park. I check the room when we get back.

I check to make sure the fridge is cool and clean. That the bathroom is clean and has enough towels. I remove the comforter and check the bed and pillows for anything that shouldn't be there. I then check the drawers before I put anything in them. My mom got me doing this as a kid. She checked every hotel we went to.

princessjojo
05-10-2008, 02:21 PM
We usually get there mid-day so our room is usuallly not ready. That said, we always grab lunch and hit the parks.

This year, our flight lands before the parks even open and I doubt we'll have a room this time either. So, it'll be breakfast, then parks, then check out the room.

Gator
05-10-2008, 05:12 PM
After flying from the West Coast, we collapse on the bed. If we move in the next few minutes, we'll go eat at the resort diner. It's rare we get in early enough to get to the parks.

Tinkerfreak
05-10-2008, 05:29 PM
Tinkerfreak, I love your idea of using those big ziploc bags for packing. I hope you don't mind if I borrow it for our trip in August. I never would have thought of it. This is another reason I love this board..

Lisa:mickey:

You will love this. Don't bother spending money on those expensive space bags or anything like that. I have found that the regular ziploc bags work just as well. I prefer the ones with the zipper lock that slides over. I zip it almost all the way over leaving just a small opening at the end so I can squish all the air out of the bag, then pull the tab the rest of the way and waalllah, you have a nice flat package. It helps me fit more in my suitcase, I don't really are if my undies and socks get squished. Another benefit is that you can put all of the mickey soaps and shampoos that you have been hoarding (come on you know we all do it) into the ziploc bags if you need to and if they open you don't have shampoo all over your suitcase. I always pack a few extra bags.

katzctkpt
05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
We usually check in around 7 am then head to the bus stop for the parks. Rooms aren't usually ready once we get into our room it's a quick check of room, bathroom break then unload luggage, clean up and head back to the parks.

RockChalkKimball
05-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I can't believe no one has said this yet... My DH always checks to make sure the remote and the TV work. We have had an issue with TV's in several hotels (non- Disney). I always check to make sure the hair dryer works. Once I had one that didn't work. That is a nice way to start your day, especially when traveling for business.

Young@Heart
05-10-2008, 11:18 PM
We usually buy our refillable mugs IMMEDIATELY so we can start using them. :thumbsup: Then, we head to a park b/c our rooms aren't usually read yet.

Mousemates
05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Well, it looks like this thread has played itself out….so for those of us who like to use lists to keep things in order, I (with tongue in cheek) offer the following summary of things to do upon your next check-in at WDW

1. Check bathroom for cleanliness and supplies.:mop:
2. Make sure air conditioner :snowball: and TV/remote are operational.
3. Inspect bed area for tell-tale signs of unwanted guests from previous tenants :bug:
4. Apply Lysol to frequently touched surface areas and objects :mop:
5. Remove any leftovers from the fridge :cake:.
6. Check room for donkeys:horse:.
7. Remove zip-locked clothing packages from suitcase and insert in drawers.
8. Fill up resort mug :coffee:.
9. Run to the parks:bolt:

Tinkerfreak
05-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, it looks like this thread has played itself out….so for those of us who like to use lists to keep things in order, I (with tongue in cheek) offer the following summary of things to do upon your next check-in at WDW

1. Check bathroom for cleanliness and supplies.:mop:
2. Make sure air conditioner :snowball: and TV/remote are operational.
3. Inspect bed area for tell-tale signs of unwanted guests from previous tenants :bug:
4. Apply Lysol to frequently touched surface areas and objects :mop:
5. Remove any leftovers from the fridge :cake:.
6. Check room for donkeys:horse:.
7. Remove zip-locked clothing packages from suitcase and insert in drawers.
8. Fill up resort mug :coffee:.
9. Run to the parks:bolt:

You are too funny!!!

DCDisney
05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
I immediately check to see if the air conditioner, or heat (depending on the time of year) works, and that the tv and remote work. If either of those didn't work, I'd immediately be calling the front desk. And unless there's anything else glaring (i.e. no towels, or a light I turn on doesn't work), I unpack some things, put things in the fridge, and then off to explore the hotel property, DTD, etc.