PDA

View Full Version : How do you de-stress?

princessjojo
05-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Ok, so here's the story. I've spent the last two years of my life in misery. I've been in nursing school and today I took my almost last final, forever, for now. The other class I can make a 40 on my final and still have an A so that class isn't an issue for me.

But this class where I tested today, I have been killing myself since Jan. Anything that could go wrong, has in my life, not to mention the class time was cut in half because of clinical preceptorship assignments. So we learned 16 weeks of info. in 8 weeks. And after taking my final this morning I finally broke down. To make it worse, I couldn't walk I was so nervous, and we, several of my classmates, had to wait around for 2 hours for our scores. Two hours of stress, nerves, and the worst nauseous feeling I've ever had. When I finally got my score I passed with a final grade of a B. That I'm ok with. And I'm happy; I'm going to graduate...

But now, after making myself sick, cannot get my stomach to stop rolling, get my heart to slow down, or my hands to stop shaking. I cannot release this stress at all.

How do you all do it when it's all pent up and can't get out? For lack of a better way to put it, it's like constipated stress...

SgtTigger
05-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I come visit my friends here on INTERCOT....

I have made some real friends here....... I can escape for a few minutes or a few hours here on INTERCOT........

I can read about my most favorate place through others trips........

all without leaving my home..........

By the way...... Way to Gooooooo on the passing grade........

:cop: :tigger:

KineGirl
05-07-2008, 07:38 PM
Have you ever tried yoga? A simple relaxation pose is called corpse pose.

Lie on your back with palms facing up

breathe thru your nose - concentrate only on your breathing

Once you start feeling relaxed place your hands on top of each other on your stomach. Focus on breathing thru that space

then move your hands to your sternum and focus your breathing there

then move your hands to your upper chest and focus the breathing there

Then raise your hands over your head and point your feet while inhale. Exhale and relax your feet and lower your arms back by your side.

It takes a minute or 2 in each sequence of the pose when youre really stressed but your body will calm.

I know this is going to sound crazy but close your eyes and "look" up. Its impossible to feel bad when youre doing it.

Good luck

princessjojo
05-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Have you ever tried yoga? A simple relaxation pose is called corpse pose.
Funny you mention that. I actually have tried that, for about 2 weeks. Couldn't stop moving. Finally the instructor told me Yoga wasn't for me, not to come back as I was distrubing the other class members. I kinda had to agree with her. I think it's my ADD because I'm always thinking about what else I should be doing.

But thanks for the suggestion. I'm beginning to think that :marg: is going to work really great before I go to bed.

Patty
05-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Alright to alot of you this is probably going to make you roll your eyes and think that I am nuts, :crazy: :blush: but when I have a really bad spell and things start to come to an end, I find a movie that will make me cry, it doesn't have to be sad, even a good romantic comedy with a sappy and predictable happy ending (actually a happy ending would work better) can do it. It allows me to get out all that pent up nervous anxiety, and I actually feel better after it. Of course a good drink always helps. In your situation I think you deserve to celebrate your sucess and allow yourself to bask in the glory of a job well done.

:congrats::congrats::congrats::high5::joy:

KineGirl
05-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Funny you mention that. I actually have tried that, for about 2 weeks. Couldn't stop moving. Finally the instructor told me Yoga wasn't for me, not to come back as I was distrubing the other class members. I kinda had to agree with her. I think it's my ADD because I'm always thinking about what else I should be doing.

But thanks for the suggestion. I'm beginning to think that :marg: is going to work really great before I go to bed.

Im sorry it didnt work immediately for you but if its any consolation - it didnt for me either. I just went thru the motions for about a month before I felt comfortable. At first I felt silly, I couldnt concentrate at ALL, etc.. But once I felt more comfortable with the poses I eased up on myself and was able to relax more thru the workout. However the corpse pose - if you just lie there - you will relax you and you dont need a class to do it. If youre really interested in yoga I would recommend finding a different instructor who focuses on relaxation. (there a a few types - philosophy, physical & relaxation). I do mine at home with no instructor. Im not trying to talk you into it - if its not for you, its not for you. But if you enjoyed it then dont give up on it because of 1 (bad IMO) instructor. Have you ever tried punching something? LOL I know that sounds crazy too but you can punch pillows or a bag or we have one of those "Bobs" (looks like a guy on a pole - my whole family is into martial arts). Or maybe Tai Chi? Therese nothing wrong with having some drinks but Id hate to see you turn to that for a daily stress reliever. (again IMO) Most importantly CONGRATULATIONS!!! It sounds like you just need a break - maybe a vacay to WDW? :mickey:

Dakota Rose
05-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Hot bath usually does it for me. A hot tub is a good cure too. So is a massage. And definitely a glass of wine can help. A good work-out at the gym might do it too.

SAHDad
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
My best de-stresser (when I can do it), is a long run. Like, 2 hours or more. Just get out of the house, away from the kids (and the mess!), and kind of unplug from the world.

Long walks are nice too - a lot easier, and they work about as well.

Dulcee
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
With struggling through finals myself this week I'm a big fan of taking my ipod and going for a nice long walk/run. Gives me time just to space out.

I'm also a big reader and find that picking up a novel and curling up in bed for a few hours lets me de-stress and take my mind off everything.

crazypoohbear
05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
In no particular order
Chardonnay
talking
crying
shopping
driving fast
talking on intercot
watching mindless tv
slow, deep breathing, especially to get the heart rate down

Congrats on graduating GOOD JOB :number1::thumbsup:

RenDuran
05-08-2008, 07:03 AM
I weed flower beds!

Years ago I discovered how relaxed I was after coming inside from yard work... strangely enough, mowing doesn't do it, only pulling weeds and moving plants!

MNNHFLTX
05-08-2008, 10:54 AM
I weed flower beds!

Years ago I discovered how relaxed I was after coming inside from yard work... strangely enough, mowing doesn't do it, only pulling weeds and moving plants!I have a good friend who does the same thing. I'm always telling her that she can come over and de-stress at my house any time she wants! ;)

Back to princessjojo--what you are describing sounds like a little more than stress, almost like a mild panic attack. Nice deep breaths through the nose, blow out through the mouth might help you feel better (very much like that yoga exercise) if it happens again. Hopefully you were able to to calm things down last night and get some sleep. :)

As for me, there are two activities that help me de-stress--walking and working in my yard and garden (except for weeding, I'm not a big fan of weeding). If it's sunny, all the better. I find that an extra dose of sunshine always picks up my spirits and energizes me.

Disney-4-Me
05-08-2008, 12:17 PM
If I need to destress during the day, I do physical activity, walk or hit the gym.

In the evening I believe in the 3 Bs and 1C.

Bath
Book
:beer:
Candle

Take me away........:cloud9:

mjstaceyuofm
05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Destressing for me is a simple formula (in this order):

1. A good workout
2. A good, hot shower
3. Maker's Mark bourbon
4. A good meal
5. refill Maker's Mark Bourbon
5. Music/TV/on-line Poker (refill MM as necessary)
6. Bed

This is pretty much my routine.

One last thing that really helps me - mowing my lawn. I know it sounds silly but putting on the iPod and listening to a good podcast or great music and just walking behind the mower for a few hours is semi-therapeutic to me.

Stitchahula
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM
horse back riding always was a good one for me that and playing with my dogs,
sitting by the water and just blanking out. playing with my sons.
reading in a nice quiet place with no one bugging you.
going for a long quiet walk in the woods or a huge field
back to horses just sitting by a pasture and watching them

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

disneyboundagain
05-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I would never, ever, condone anyone else doing this, but....

I have two great ways to relieve stress.
1. The fastest production ATV ever made. It only takes about a 10 min blast thru the woods, pushing it right to the edge of loosing control, but yet still being in control. The adrenaline rush takes the stress away INSTANTLY.
2. Take the hot rod out for a quick blast. I don't hit high speeds, just the quick acceleration. I guarantee that 0-60 in 2.2 sec will give just about anyone a rush.

That's what works for me. Adrenaline. Doesn't matters how you get it, it will take away all your worries (at least mine).

tinkerbellybutton
05-09-2008, 07:16 AM
First things first :congrats: on the grade, give yourself a pat on the back!

I come visit my friends here on INTERCOT....

I have made some real friends here....... I can escape for a few minutes or a few hours here on INTERCOT........

I can read about my most favorate place through others trips........

all without leaving my home..........

That's one of my favorite de-stressers :thumbsup:

Back to princessjojo--what you are describing sounds like a little more than stress, almost like a mild panic attack. Nice deep breaths through the nose, blow out through the mouth might help you feel better (very much like that yoga exercise) if it happens again.

I was thinking the same thing. One of the things I do that helps is just close my eyes for a few moments and count through the blessings in my life, it turns my mindset around most of the time. I hope that you were able to relax and enjoy your accomplishment!

d_m_n_n
05-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Two little words...

Pedicure

Massage

I can literally forget all my troubles with an hour or two of good pampering. :cloud9:

DisneyDog
05-09-2008, 12:07 PM
yes, pedicure! that's what I was going to say...along with a manicure, of course. There are any number places I can go within a few minutes of my house and spend less than $30 on both.

princessjojo
05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
First of all, thank you to everyone for their congrats!! I have worked so hard, much of it at the cost of my kids. But they survived this as well with only a broken leg and a minimal drop in their grades.

I finally got up, and started cooking. For 4 hours I cooked, everything from baked chicken to cheesecake to bread. And then I ate until 2am only to crash after that. That and yesterday's dose of retail therapy.

Well, I finally took my very last final today. I wasn't worried about it, but am pretty sure I did very well. But the exam I stressed over so badly, I didn't do that well on, but I still pulled out a high B in the class. In the end, a B is a B is a B. Bottom line, and I'm ok with that at this point. Finally looking forward to graduation next Thursday, WDW, then boards...

Again, thank you all for your tremendous support! It is all greatly appreciated!! :hug: to you all!! You really are great friends to turn to in times of need!

IloveDisney71
05-09-2008, 08:15 PM
My best way to relax is to lock myself in my room so I can take a really long hot bath. I put my favorite bath salts in the water, light some candles, have a an adult beverage of some sort and read while I soak all of my cares away. By the time the water is cool, I feel totally recharged.