PDA

View Full Version : Eagles coach's son admits smuggling drugs into jail

Hammer
05-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Eagles coach's son admits smuggling drugs into jail

Wed May 7, 2:41 PM EDT
A son of Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid is heading to state prison after admitting he smuggled narcotics into his Montgomery County Jail cell.

Garrett Reid pleaded guilty to drug smuggling charges on Wednesday. The 25-year-old faces a minimum of two years in state prison.

Jail officials say they found 89 pills in his cell. Reid is serving time in the county jail for a heroin-fueled car crash that injured a motorist.

District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman says he may qualify for a prison drug-treatment program that could reduce his time.

His 23-year-old brother, Britt Reid, is in a county drug-court program after pleading guilty to separate drug and gun charges.

The Associated Press

Ian
05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
What an idiot .... small wonder our head coach has no clue ... apple doesn't fall far from the tree. :shake:

Jeff G
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Such a sad situation. With the time coaches in the NFL spend on the job it's a wonder they have time at all to devote to their family and kids. If dad puts more time into a career it's not suprising that they act out for attention.

Melanie
05-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Such a sad situation. With the time coaches in the NFL spend on the job it's a wonder they have time at all to devote to their family and kids. If dad puts more time into a career it's not suprising that they act out for attention.

There are a lot of jobs in this world that take dads (or moms for that matter) away from their kids for extended times, so I don't think really buy that excuse. I think this is just a case of really bad parenting.

PirateLover
05-08-2008, 02:12 AM
There are a lot of jobs in this world that take dads (or moms for that matter) away from their kids for extended times, so I don't think really buy that excuse. I think this is just a case of really bad parenting.
Mel, I think that's kind of what Jeff was saying. That obviously Reid spent more time worrying about his career than he did worrying about what his kids were up to. He left that burden to his wife Tammy who obviously couldn't reign them in. 1 kid acting out can be sometimes be a simple case of a bad seed... hey it happens... but two kids is a red flag that something was missing in the parent-child relationship. At least one of the kids was dealing drugs in high school, going out of his way to "ghetto" areas, using his quasi-celebrity status to make himself seem cool and important.

I have to say I cannot stand Andy Reid any more. He comes off as very smug, arrogant and holier than thou. I don't even know why he does press conferences anymore. He never says anything and acts like he's the only one who knows the sport of football and how dare a lowly sports reporter question his decisions.

He has a long standing reputation for wanting "character" guys on his team. Maybe he should be more concerned about the behavior of his own kids than the off field behavior of his players. Last year when this was all first came to light (both boys were arrested on separate charges on the SAME DAY!), the media around here pretty much gave him a pass. He made a statement, said he wasn't going to talk about it any further, and that was that. Yet just recently he criticized our local media for focusing on the negative all the time. He has been here going on a decade and it seems as if the team is heading in the opposite direction of where it needs to be. I think it's time he retires and focuses on his other children before it's too late.

Melanie
05-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Mel, I think that's kind of what Jeff was saying. That obviously Reid spent more time worrying about his career than he did worrying about what his kids were up to.

I'm sorry, as I mistakingly read it as a blanket statement that all men who spend more time at work than they do with their family will end up with messed up kids. I see now that it was directed more specifically to Reid.

Jeff G
05-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Thanks for clarifying Maryanne. Last night I took a softball off the head which knocked me silly for a while and don't remember typing that post.

I read an article that Andy Reid was very seldom home for his family and the point(at least I think) I was trying to make is it seems his kids are acting for attention because he felt that his career was more important than his family.

I realize that not all kids act out because a parent isn't there for them and a bad seed can come from even the most functional family. In this case though it seems that the problems stem in part from Andy not being there as a parent.

BluewaterBrad
05-11-2008, 04:54 PM
What a bunch of idiots.:ack: