PDA

View Full Version : Sea World with little ones?

minnie-mouse
05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
We are planning on spending some time at Sea World on our next Orlando trip. Is it worth the trip there with little ones ages 3 and 5? Is there a lot for them to do and enjoy?

lupi2279
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I think so. I last went when mine were 3 and 6 both loved it and my little one only remembers seaworld out of the whole trip and $$$ spent

DisnIse
05-08-2008, 07:59 AM
We went to Sea World this year for the first time in YEARS, and it was great. There is a lot for the kids to do - mine loved the Sea Otter pirate show the most. There is a show that is all housepets - I can't think of the name of it, but it's all physical animal humor, and my boys are total suckers for it.
There is an entire kids area with rides (a Shamu roller coaster, the frog hopper ride (we call it the mini tower of terror) and a splash area as well.
I would say that the toughest part os keeping the kids entertained for the time that you need to get into the show areas to get seats and the actual show. They do pre-show entertainment, but it isn't the most entertaining for that age group. Having a small group, especially where the kids can sit on your lap, you might be able to squeeze into the theater areas closer to show time. There were a ton of us, so we had to get there early to sit togehter.
One recommendation that I'd make is to do one of the dining experiences. They do a Shamu buffet that is really good - cheaper than Disney buffets - and you get priority seating at the Believe show (or Shamu Rocks, whichever you prefer). We did it twice, and I think we'll do it every time we go.

OH! And one thing we missed, but I know was there last time was an Elmo show over by the Wild Arctic area. I don't know how we missed it on our map, but we did and they only ran the show twice on that day. Oh well!

Sea World offers a deal where you buy a one day ticket, and it's good for the rest of 2008. If you think you might go again before the end of the year, it's a great way to mentally stretch the value of the ticket.

minnie-mouse
05-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Do you order tickets for it online in advance? Is it cheaper?

DisnIse
05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
We ordered in advance, more for convenience than anything else.

They have self serve ticket kiosks (like ATMs) as well as the traditional ticket booths. On the nicer day that we were there, the lines were long, so it was nice not to have to wait.

Even with your "e ticket" from home, you do have to scan it at one of the kiosks to print out the actual ticket. It took about 3 seconds. Very efficient!

I don't *think* there is a cost benefit to ordering early, but I could be wrong.

Rockstar Boyfriends
05-14-2008, 11:12 PM
The best place for kids at Sea World is Shamu's Happy Harbor. It's a big play area with some flat rides and a kiddie coaster. Kids can spend literally hours in this area.

bkfree
05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
YES YES YES
We loved Sea World. My kids especially loved feeding fish to the Dolphins and the shows.

We also did Dine with Shamu, which was great.
We bought our tickets and made reservations for dinner with Shamu on line.

Jasper
05-27-2008, 06:29 PM
We were just the opposite. We love zoos and aquariums normally but found Sea World to be a complete waste of time and money the last time we went. It was VERY boring with little to keep small children occupied. The only thing that the kids really enjoyed at Sea World was the petting area where you could touch dolphin and rays and the Kraken (SP?) roller coaster!

StillSimbaGirl
05-27-2008, 07:00 PM
We love Sea World!!! We've gone with the special adventurer's pass once - where they take you to everything important and get you great seats. Although that was a lot of fun, it didn't leave much time for the small child to hang out at the Happy Harbour. We went back the next day, just so she could hang out and climb around etc.

My kid (now 9) always enjoyed Wild Arctic, Pets Ahoy, the Sea Lion show, anything with Shamu (including the Dining Experiences), but she has always just had a blast at Shamu's Happy Harbor - especially the climbing nets. Note: you can lose your kid up there - be prepared to climb or set a parent at each end...

We've also booked some of the smaller tours - touching a penguin etc.

monke
06-14-2008, 02:52 PM
We went 2 years ago and my kids then 9, 3, and 18 months usually would not sit for nothing. But here they had a great time and I had NO problem entertaining them. The shows were great we spent the whole day there taking our time and having a blast. My kids had more fun here then anywhere else.

dfamasb
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
We LOVE Seaworld and spend 2 days when we're in Florida if time allows. Our last trip with twin 2 year olds and a 6 month old was fabulous. All three loved the shows and seeing the animals. :thumbsup:

chelly4568
06-14-2008, 08:22 PM
It is totally my cousin is 1 and LOVES it:mickey:

tink'72
06-14-2008, 09:11 PM
We are planning on spending some time at Sea World on our next Orlando trip. Is it worth the trip there with little ones ages 3 and 5? Is there a lot for them to do and enjoy? you should go there. i went there with a 1 1/2 and 4 year old and they loved the fish. great idea to bring them there.:mickey:

RaRaRoundTheWorld
06-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know if there are tour operators that run between the WDW resorts and Sea World?

Would it be better to rent a car for the day?

Randypandy
06-28-2008, 01:57 AM
If you think sea world is neat try going to aquatica .:D Water everywhere and slides and wave pools :thumbsup: I went last week and it is great

AnnetteFan
06-28-2008, 01:52 PM
I think Sea World is great for kids as long as they know not to expect rides all over the place like Disney World. I think too many people go and expect tons of rides and then end up dissapointed when it's all shows and exhibits. I think the shows are great for kids and doing things like watching the penguins or the seals is something they'll really enjoy. I love Sea World, you just have to appreciate it for what it is and not expect thrill rides galore.

Marilyn Michetti
06-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know if there are tour operators that run between the WDW resorts and Sea World?

Would it be better to rent a car for the day?

YES, there is a bus that leaves from the TTC every half hour. It's $1.50 each way, and you're there in 20 min. It lets you off on the street as opposed to pulling into the parking lot, so it's a bit of a hike for little ones, (or, old ones), and the return trip leaves on the opposite side of the street. These are city busses, but can't be beat.:thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
06-28-2008, 09:24 PM

In addition to the city bus (Lynx, in case you want to look it up), Mears also provides a shuttle service.

Here's additional information on transporation options to offsite attractions (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/transportation/transoffsite.asp).