PDA

View Full Version : Weekend WDW trip - is it worth it?

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
First off, yes I'm the guy who did the April fools prank on these boards, but I can honestly say that below is a legit concern/question I have for everyone!

Hey everyone - here's the deal. Some idea got inside my head this morning that I've now been thinking about for a few hours, and basically haven't done a thing at work (hope my bosses don't read the boards :blush:)

Anyhow...I'm considering surprising my girlfriend with a long weekend trip to WDW from Fri Aug 29 until Mon Sept 1 of this year. An estimated cost would be about $2400 for everything but meals. I'd pay for the whole thing of course.

I don't know what she'd say about it but...my love for WDW has been taking over me so I thought it might be worth it. I'm checking with her sister tomorrow night to see what she thinks of the idea (she's a twin sister so she knows my girlfriend very well of course).

My question is, is it worth it to go down there for such a small length of time? I know we wouldn't be able to do everything. She has been there before though so we could just take our time on the things that we like. But...is it worth the money to basically have just all day Saturday, Sunday, and part of Monday at the parks? We'd be staying at either one of the AS resorts, or POP. Possibly Coronado but...we'll see. Crowds...would they be busy? I'm guessing over Canadian Labour day weekend it might be??

Anyway - - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Chris :hatter:

crazeedizneefinatic
05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
My opinion is that $2400 is a ton of money to spend in 3 days! As much of a Disney fan I am I would not consider it unless I have not been in years and am not able to do anymore days in the coming future. As a family of 3 we are staying at POR for 10 days with 8 day hoppers and free dining for $1900. I know the longer you stay the less you pay and we are taking advantage of free dining but even without dining it's still a deal. Everyones financial situation is different.

All in all if the trip is affordable for you and it won't strain the budget it could be an option. Otherwise that money would stretch alot further for a longer trip in the future. It's a hard decision, I know I hear the word Disney and want to go right then and there, good luck!

chick20679
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Wow!
$2400 is alot of money... I'm guessing airfare is the biggest chunk of that for you.

We have gone several times for a long weekend and really enjoy it. However, we can get roundtrip airfare for $200pp.

To me, spending $600+ a person for airfare warrants a longer trip, but if the money isn't an issue then I would say definitely go for it.

:mickey:

Tick-Tock
05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
A few years ago we went on a spur-of-the-moment trip (booked Tuesday and left late Friday night, arrived early Saturday morning and drove straight to the Studios for Star Wars Weekends). We left on Monday. As far as fun and memories, that trip remains one of our best, even though it was short. I would say it's worth it if you don't mind spending the money.

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Just got a quote from a travel agent who said it would be, with the flight (alwasy expensive; flying from central Canada), POP resort, park passes, and insurance would be $2662 but that includes the DDP as well, according to her. It is expensive and I realize Vegas is about $1200 cheaper...but I'm such a Disney nut! And I'm guessing in Vegas the food is uber expensive. Just a hunch ;).

barnaby
05-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I was actually looking to go with my wife for the same days - Aug 29 to Sept 1.
Price for the2 of us is $1400 for hotel, 3 day hoppers and airfare.
I am still on the fence because of the short amount of time.:confused:

Taja
05-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away...

I would have jumped at it and gone! In an instant! *LOL* And did similar things many times. :)

Older and wiser...

I over-think things some times. Weigh the options too much. *sigh*

Do what's right for you and your GF.

BTW, Las Vegas food can run from fairly inexpensive to $$$$. Just depends on what you want! :)

sonkist32
05-07-2008, 05:32 PM
to lower you costs why don't you drive into the US and fly from there. You can fly from Minneapolis/St Paul for 250 round trip (suncountry/air tran), pay the parking fee and still come out way ahead. Of course you would have to add a day to each end of your trip to account for driving. You might also find a good price from Duluth (northern MN), Twincities to orlando. value resorts should be 90 bucks a night and 3 day park tickets around 250 each. 270 hotel,500airfare,500tickets(w/free dinning),parking 100, gas to/from MN 300. That puts your trip @ 1700 bucks and 2 extra days.

Young@Heart
05-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Sept. 1st is Labor Day, isn't it? Any other time I'd say "go for it!", but I'm wondering if it'll be too crowded to really enjoy yourselves, esp. for that kind of $$. Is there any other time you two could go together?

tinksmom02
05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
That was my first thought, too, that's Labor Day weekend. That's an awful lot of money, and the parks will be crowded...

WinnipegDisneyFanatic
05-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Sept. 1st is Labor Day, isn't it? Any other time I'd say "go for it!", but I'm wondering if it'll be too crowded to really enjoy yourselves, esp. for that kind of $$. Is there any other time you two could go together?

Yeah...I realized it was Labour day and that it might be busy. I'd still be willing to go, being such a WDW Fanatic as my name suggests. I'm going to think about it tomorrow...might do the Minneapolis flight departure as Sonkist32 suggested - a friend also suggested that to me late this afternoon. Might be worth holding off on...although when you have such a love for the World...its tough to back down!

HndrdPrcnt
05-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Chris -

I know what it is like to struggle with your desire to go back to WDW and then having to back up and be the realist and decide if it really makes sense. My wife and I are also struggling with this very thing ourselves. However, we are looking at doing 9 nights in September and taking advantage of the free dining.

However, get ready for this....our package for 10 days of Park Hopper & More tickets, 9 nights at the POP and the DDP (free thanks to being Sept) is only costing us $2200 for 4 of us!!

As such, I would advise you to save your money and your vacation time and go when you can really make a trip out of it!!:thumbsup: