PDA

View Full Version : Cancelling a Reservation - one week away!

PoohBear517
05-07-2008, 01:08 PM
I can't believe this is happening, especially after going through the hassles of securing our membership, but there's a possibility that I may need to cancel our trip - planned for May 15-21 :cry: My MIL is in the hospital and DH is worried that something might happen while we're gone. I'm praying that she'll be fine and we can go on this much-needed vacation, but if we do have to cancel, can someone explain to me what will happen to my points? The points used for this reservation were a combination of Developer Points and 2007 June UY points. If I understand correctly, I'll lose the 2007 UY points since they expire on May 31st, but I should be able to bank the Developer Points. Is that right?

lockedoutlogic
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
the points will be put into a holding account....and you will lose them if they aren't used within 30 calender days.....if i understand it correctly....

it doesn't matter where you pull the points from....the fact that the reservation is cancelled within 31 days determines the fate...

hlkeck
05-07-2008, 02:32 PM
AND developer points expire within 1 year, so you can't bank them anyway. FYI.

JMTStone
05-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Did you take advantage of the DVC travel protection plan?

Crossing my fingers.....

:pixie: hope MIL gets better

PoohBear517
05-08-2008, 08:43 AM
So, I'll lose the 2007 UY points on May 31st, but the Developer Points can still be used within the year, correct? If that's the case, I may be able to work something out for a future date as long as there's availability.

JMTStone - no, I didn't take advantage of the travel protection plan :( (didn't think it would be necessary), but I will definitely include it on all future trips.

lockedoutlogic
05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
So, I'll lose the 2007 UY points on May 31st, but the Developer Points can still be used within the year, correct? If that's the case, I may be able to work something out for a future date as long as there's availability.

JMTStone - no, I didn't take advantage of the travel protection plan :( (didn't think it would be necessary), but I will definitely include it on all future trips.

here's how i understand it:

your 5/2007 use year points would have to be used by the end of this month....no wiggle room there

your developer points would have to be used within a year of them being issued....whenever that would be...

HOWEVER....neither of that matters.....since you are cancelling within the 30 day window....your points go into a holding account that must be used within 30 days.....

so if you were not to go within 30 days of your original vacation dates....you lose the points....no matter where they come from....

but i stand to be corrected if i'm misreading the rules...

hlkeck
05-08-2008, 01:04 PM
I think the last post is correct, unfortunately.:(

FiggyFan
05-08-2008, 07:24 PM
I just looked at the 2008-2009 Vacation planner. It says that if you cancel within 30 days of scheduled check-in, the points go into a holding account. If not used before the end of your use year, they will expire. They can only be used to make a reservation with a check in date 60 days or less away.

So, PoohBear517, if you do end up cancelling, your June 2007 points will expire at the end of May and be lost. I don't know what the policy is for developer points - you will have to ask.

About the 60 day rule, it boils down to "if you cancel with short notice, you can only re-book with short notice." If your reservation was for June, and you cancelled at the last minute, you would have until the end of your use year (next May for you) to use the points, but you would only have a 60-day booking window, not the usual 11 month/7 month windows.

Best wishes for your MIL.