PDA

View Full Version : My friend is fighting for recess in NJ schools

murphy1
05-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm appalled that the kids up there are not getting recess! I'm in Ga, grew up in Florida and it's a given that you have that time, the kids need it. Anyway, she is working with some parents and the Senators to get Bill S226 into effect to mandate recess. I think it's pretty sad that music and recess are cut so much in many schools. This was started at Howell school if you are familiar with this area of NJ and can support it.

Here is an article about it. I know many of you might be in this area, so thought you might be interested.

Howell Parents Inspire School Recess Bill
By Keith Hagarty

Wanting their children to receive mandatory recess time every school day, a group of township parents repeatedly approached the township board of education last year to see what could be done.

Soon, lawmakers took notice.

Pointing to their concerns as a motivating factor, Assemblyman Joseph Malone III, R-30, is sponsoring a state Assembly bill to establish a task force on public school student recess.

If adopted, New Jersey would become the ninth state to have a recess policy. At the present time, only California, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Virginia and Wisconsin have enacted such a measure.

The idea for the task force came partly in response to Howell's ongoing debate of whether there should be mandatory recess time set aside each school day.

Last September, several parents in the district repeatedly went before the board asking why there was a noticeable lack of structured recess time in the schools.

To address the situation, the board placed Susan Vonsover, the district's assistant superintendent for pupil services, and Patricia Callender, supervisor of special education, in charge of heading up a special recess committee comprised of parents, administrators, teachers and the district's head nurse.

With the backing of Howell Superintendent of Schools Dr. Enid Golden, the committee met on September 17 with the goal of finding common ground on the issue. They presented their findings to the board in November, ultimately establishing a set of recess guidelines, and recommending 20 minutes of recess time every school day.

"The meeting was three hours long, and everyone in the room agreed that recess is a pivotal part of the school day," Vonsover said. "It's very important for children to have recess, and we believe we should strive to have recess in our schools everyday."

The committee unanimously established a set of guidelines governing recess for every classroom in the district.

According to the guidelines: 1) a minimum of 20 minutes of engaged play as close to mid-day as possible, 2) children should go outside for recess with age-appropriate peers, 3) children would be allowed to play outside as long as it's at least 35-degrees or as determined by the building administrator, 4) recess is not to be used as a reward or punishment, 5) students will not be denied recess for more than five minutes for behavioral issues, however, if behavioral issue persist, parents would be notified if the building administrator determines that recess should be denied, and 6) students will not be denied recess for inability to complete assignments.

While the Assembly bill for the recess task force was introduced on January 8, it must still go before the Assembly Education Committee for further review before it can be voted on

Dulcee
05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
interesting... I'm from Jersey, right near howell actually and my mom currently teaches in the elementary school I went to. We always had recess,they still do. I never realized some Jersey schools didn't.

crazypoohbear
05-07-2008, 10:48 AM
I really hope they succeed! I would like to see it mandated throughout the entire country.
Kids need to get out and get fresh air and exercise every day! It's good for the brain and the body.
Today kids are so sedentary and many have so many health problems due to this that not only should they have recess but all schools should bring back the "presidents physical fitness challenge"
There are schools in my area that have banned TAG!
How come those of us "of a certain age" all survived these "dangerous" games.
Red rover, dodge ball, tag, king of the hill, pig piles stick ball, ring around the rosy etc???

Mousehead35
05-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Wow.. this is odd. My Mom is a teacher here in Central NJ and they definately have recess. I also grew up in the area and we always had it as well.

Gooftroop5
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I hope the best. Its too bad when kids don't have recess. It was one of my favorite memories of school.

There is no recess in k-2nd but the 3rd-5th grades have recess (2 different buildings) they just don't have anybody to cover recess at the lower grades. Don't understand why. Teachers don't either. When I was in school it was the lunch monitor. They blame it on not having the money to pay someone. :confused:

BTW I live on NY.

Crazypoohbear my dd had never played dodgeball until dh & I played with her in our backyard. They are finally playing now but because they have the gym teachers I use to have. They are old school. The big thing now is snake in the grass & bean bag bombardment. However nothing beats a good game of dodge ball.

Dulcee
05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Red rover, dodge ball, tag, king of the hill, pig piles stick ball, ring around the rosy etc???

You can blame me for that one :blush: I use to play red rover in elementary school and ended up in the emergency room in 4th grade after a particularly intense game. Somehow I ended up with a lovely concussion. :rolleyes:

Gooftroop5
05-07-2008, 02:07 PM
You can blame me for that one :blush: I use to play red rover in elementary school and ended up in the emergency room in 4th grade after a particularly intense game. Somehow I ended up with a lovely concussion. :rolleyes:

You lived to tell about it though :D

I've lived through a lot & got the scarred knees to prove it. Ok somethings I did as a kid I wouldn't let my kids do but... well that is another story dealing with riding a bike & we are talking about recess ;)

King Triton
05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm pretty much in agreement that recess is a good thing (especially for elementary school kids). However, I think Howell is handling it correctly: at the local or district level. We have enough legislation as it is; I don't think this needs to go to a state or federal level.

ncscgirl2005
05-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Thank you!!! I had to teach almost the whole neighborhood these games once when we lived in on-base housing.

To add to your list:
What time is it Old Witch
Red Light Green Light

Disney-4-Me
05-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Are you kidding me? The government is creating a bill to mandate recess? Since the school board is elected by citizens in the district, they ultimately should have the say at a local level.

I'd guess most people agree that students should have recess.

I think it is a big mistake to say that teachers can't keep kids in from recess for not completing their work. That is a very good consequence for teachers to use. It also gives kids a choice, either you can do your work in class or you can do it during recess. It's surprising how many kids make the right choice when it is put to them in those terms. That is also a great time for teachers to tutor children who need extra help.

Surely lawmakers have more important issues to address.....

PrincessEmmasMommy
05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Hmmm...
I teach in an urban charter school in NJ and we are supposed to have recess for our children, but there is really not a place to take them. We do our best with what we have and the children definately do better afterwards on the days we make it outside.
I doubt the state will pass any law due to the fact that it would surely come along with some sort of pricetag. We're talking about a state that won't even mandate kindergarten. I live in a town that recently voted down full day kindergarten. What a joke!
I have to say that NJ is definately far behind the schools that I taught in outside of Tampa right after college.
Jen

crazypoohbear
05-07-2008, 10:00 PM

WOW, you were lucky, your parents took you the the ER. My mom would just tell us kids, "put ice on it, stretch it out, take an aspirin and go back outside it's nice out!":D

I was in my late 20's and I had to have my foot xrayed, the Doc asked how old I was when I broke my toe. I said "I never broke my toe, I've never broken any bones" HE said yes you did look here!
Guess it was just something that I had to put ice on :blush:
I survived childhood, happy but scarred :D

As for government mandating things, why don't they mandate that kids be kids and have fun. Hmmm. would that law pass????

dismommy
05-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Wow, I live in NJ and grew up in another part of NJ and we always had recess as my son does now. I never would have thought that a public school didn't. I assumed it was like gym, everyone has it.

alphamommy
05-08-2008, 08:42 AM
My DD's elementary school has 3 recesses a day. I can't remember how long they are, but I know that the length of the mid-day recess depends on how long it takes you to eat lunch.

Here, they do take recess time away for bad behavior.

I did find one statement in the original article interesting. It states that there would be no recess when the temperature is under 35 degrees. At DD's school, the temperature limit is 15 degrees, although I know there have been days when it was a little warmer that they had "indoor recess", which is what they do on rainy days (play with stuff in the classroom).

Good luck!
Tammy

sardanem
05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I also live in Central New Jersey and grades 1 through 5 have recess. I think the older kids should be allowed to go outside after lunch too even if it is just to get some fresh air. They are stuck in a building from 7:30 until 2:15 and only see outside from a window. What I also find funny is that they are so strictly regulating what foods we can serve at the 4 parties a year the schools throw because of obesity, but they have no problem cutting phys ed classes and now recess. The kids are not obese because we serve cupcakes 4 times a year. They are overweight due to lack of exercise.

Lisa

Lisa

MNNHFLTX
05-11-2008, 02:37 PM
I agree that elementary-age kids need a recess daily to expend some of their energy and re-charge their minds. And I also agree that there should be phys. ed requirements for all ages. But as far as necessary physical activity to prevent obesity, it really is just a drop in the bucket. Ideally kids should have ample time after school for playing outside and being active, but most kids spend that time indoor doing sedentary things, as someone previously said. I know with my son, that is what really made a difference when he was younger--being able to get outside with other kids in the neighborhood after school and blow off steam. And playing all those "dangerous" games like dodgeball and tag! ;)