PDA

View Full Version : Solo at 19?

iDisney
05-07-2008, 12:39 AM
Hello all!

I am considering taking a trip in December all by my lonesome as kind of a motivational tool/pat on the back for getting through the upcoming fall semester. I am not nervous about taking the trip by myself, but I was curious as to what other people’s thoughts are.

1) What do people going solo do about dining?
1a) Is it awkward to go to a table service restaurant by oneself? I would be on the dining plan and would definitely want to get my money’s worth!

2) I would be reliant on the Magical Express service as I am not old enough to rent a car. (Even if I was, I couldn’t afford one. This is a tight budgeted trip.) After typing this out, I actually realized that I don’t have a question about! :blush:

3) I would also be entirely reliant on Disney’s transportation system. I have never relied on it and it makes me a bit nervous!
3a) How hard would it be to arrive at the parks early enough to see the opening ceremonies? I have never seen them and would love to!
3b) How late do the busses run? I suppose that I get worried about being stranded somewhere!

That’s all for now! I’m sure that I will come up with more questions and/or concerns to bounce off of you all!

P.S.~ I apologize if this is incoherent. It is late and I am tired. Perhaps I will edit it tomorrow!

P.S.S. ~ I finally edited it. Hopefully it is easier to read!

faline
05-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Usually when I dine by myself, I just bring a good book along with me. You might also consider some of the venues in which you are assigned to share tables with others such as Biergarten or Tenpenyaki. Many people travel to Disney World solo so dining alone should not be an issue.

I think you'll do fine with Disney transportation. If you're out late, you might need to transfer through Downtown Disney where the buses run until 2 a.m. There are also cabs readily available throughout Disney World so, if you are stuck, you can easily get to your destination via cab (though it would, of course, add some cost to your trip - at least you can be sure you'll have a fallback option).

cal5755
05-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I think you will have a relaxing fun trip all by yourself. I bet there are many advantages to going solo...mainly be able to do what you want at your own pace.

I have never been solo but I would say don't stress about transportation... they usually run at least an hour after parks close but they make sure all guests are picked up.

Also with dining.. make your ADR's even for a party of one!! I have seen single diners at restaurants and they look like they are enjoying themselves and they look very relaxed.... not like my noisy table lol.

I hope you enjoy your trip!! I can't wait to hear trip reports!!

biodtl
05-07-2008, 09:14 AM
ME is easy, as is WDW transportation - I think you'll do fine. As for dining, I think it depends on you and how comfortable you are being alone. I personally love it - being an only child helped me with that, I think. I go out to moives, meals, etc by myself whenever I get the chance (which, with 2 kids isn't often). If you are comfortable, do whatever dining you would enjoy. Otherwise, stick to CS if you would feel better with that.

Another thing - after you book your trip and have dates set, come here and see if there are any others planning on being there at the same time - maybe you can set up a meet.

RockinRollerMom
05-07-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't think you will have any problems with transportation. They run even later than the posted times. Last year we had a late ressie for Coral Reef. (the park closed at 9:30 that night.) Well we were a party of nine and the server messed up the bill. By the time it was all said and done it was least 11:15pm by the time we left. (which by the way was super cool walking through a TOTALLY empty EPCOT.) We got to the bus station and the buses were still there. They loaded us and one other couple on a bus right away and got us back to our hotel.

I think you should go for TS at least once a day for dining. If you are on the meal plan you are paying for it anyway. Or maybe even do a signature restaurant or two. I have seen many people dining solo. Don't forget your ADR's. :mickey:

svarhall07
05-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I went in November by myself and I just turned 20 (so i was 19 then). it was amazing. i ate at california grill and jiko (it was nice because i was only paying for one person). i felt kinda akward at first, but had a blast really talking to the CM about the menu/their job. i drove, but once i parked my car i never got in until i drove home. the transportation starts early and ends late, i never had a single problem. you can use the single passenger lines for the rides, you don't have to compromise and do what others want to do, you can slide in to see parades and stuff without a big group. it was very nice. you'll love it. private message me if you have any other questions.

iDisney
05-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for all of your responses! You have put my transportation worries to rest! (Especially the story of leaving Epcot after 11!) I already have my dates hammered out. Luckily enough, my finals are over in time to allow me to go the week before Christmas, like Info Central suggests! I will most likely be going from the 14th to the 20th of December. (I’m keeping my fingers crossed that they will offer free dining or something similar while I am there!) I can’t wait for this solo trip. I have gone with family and I wouldn’t trade the memories for the world, but it will be nice to be able to do things without having to worry about the others enjoying themselves!

I too am an only child, so being alone is no big deal to me! I have never dined alone, however. Anytime I am alone I just usually go through the drive through. Maybe I will have to begin practicing! ;) I will have to get to planning where I want to eat and when so I can make my ADR’s when the time comes!

It’s great to hear from someone my own age who has successfully made the trip. (Not that I wasn’t sure that I couldn’t!) I wish I could drive down there, but it would probably take me 2 days and cost me a small fortune in gas! I had forgotten about the single rider lines! That makes it even better!