PDA

View Full Version : dumbo

lupi2279
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I am planning a trip to disney this month. Whitch made me think of this question that has bothered me for years.

why dumbo? It always has lines and people seem to plan around it. why? it is identicle to the flying carpet ride and is the same as a typical carnival ride subsituting dumbo for airplanes.

I just dont get it.

BrerGnat
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Because little kids LOVE it. And, because parents have fond memories of when THEY rode it as kids. The flying carpets don't have that same effect. Plus, it's in literally every single Disney parks commercial, piece of advertising, and planning DVD ever created. It's a Disneyland "original" ride, so it has a lot of history.

Toddlers sure do love Dumbo. It's their version of an "E Ticket" ride. My own kids (3 and 2 year old boys) prefer Casey Jr. Circus train, the carousel, and the teacups to Dumbo, but when there is a tiny little line, I take them on it and they LOVE it. It's not a "must do" for us each trip, though.

NotaGeek
05-07-2008, 01:50 AM
I am planning a trip to disney this month. Whitch made me think of this question that has bothered me for years.

why dumbo? It always has lines and people seem to plan around it. why? it is identicle to the flying carpet ride and is the same as a typical carnival ride subsituting dumbo for airplanes.

I just dont get it.

Disney + Magic + Kids = Dumbo

Oh ... and the Magic Carpet ride at WDW is the same as Dumbo, not the other way around! It's one of the ORIGINAL rides at DLR. :mickey:

Silver_Surfer
05-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Because Disney is the only place where anyone can ride Dumbo!

tinkwest
05-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Who wouldn't want to fly, up & down, over the water in an elephant?! Weeeeeee!! You can get a view of Storybook Land when you are flying high or almost skim the water when you are flying low. And don't forget the music coming from the organ. That adds a lot of magic.

lupi2279
05-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Oh ... and the Magic Carpet ride at WDW is the same as Dumbo, not the other way around! It's one of the ORIGINAL rides at DLR.>>

this I know. I have been going since I was little and have many fond memories of many attractions. this one just didnt leave that impression i guess. it just seems basic and common

NotaGeek
05-07-2008, 06:23 PM
this I know. I have been going since I was little and have many fond memories of many attractions. this one just didnt leave that impression i guess. it just seems basic and common

Well, it is kind of basic and common now in when judged by present design. BUT, it definitely wasn't when the park opened. I think now it serves it's place as more of a nostalgic comfort ride ... except of course for the fact that kids of all ages still LOVE the ride because it's kind of an icon of Fantasyland -- it's SO visible in marketing and Dumbo is one of the most loved Disney Characters.

IMO it's pretty easy to see why the line for Dumbo is almost as long as the line at Peter Pan at DLR ... it's a ride that most parents can take their kids on ... and the parents can also remember how COOL it was the first time they rode it.

Melanie
05-07-2008, 08:38 PM
IMO it's pretty easy to see why the line for Dumbo is almost as long as the line at Peter Pan at DLR ... it's a ride that most parents can take their kids on ... and the parents can also remember how COOL it was the first time they rode it.

And they are both slooooow loading!

NotaGeek
05-07-2008, 11:19 PM
And they are both slooooow loading!

AMEN!

brertosh
05-10-2008, 05:11 AM
It's a must do for our family for sure. It was just two trips ago that our daughter rode by herself for the first time. My son will be next. Its just a classic.

drevlo
05-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Wow! Great thread, everyone!
Even though I loved Dumbo as a kid, I have to admit that as an adult, I used to cringe a little each time my kids would ask to ride it (mostly due to the wait times...regradless of when we travelled there).
However, after seeing how much pleasure my kids got each ride.... out of something so simple, it helped to change my tune a bit.
I still don't care much for waiting in line for it, but we've been able to curb that a bit by simply hitting the ride early on an early admission day.
My kids still love the ride, so as long as they're still getting a kick out of it....I'm still getting a kick out of watching them enjoy themselves.

Marla
05-12-2008, 01:28 AM
The spirit of the ride is the whole thing. Not many rides can a kid control, but this one they can. It just makes them love it so much more. Young or old you have to admit that joy stick pegged up for the top of the ride 'rocks' no matter how old or young you are.:tink: